PHL

UWW asks Dan Sweeney to stop tweeting out clips of their matches

This is terrible. He's not trying to steal broadcast rights-he breaks down technique for people competing at lower levels. He doesn't even have a large social media following.  Would be great if those who pay UWW for broadcast rights and have a direct channel to contact them would help him out.  

This is terrible. He's not trying to steal broadcast rights-he breaks down technique for people competing at lower levels. He doesn't even have a large social media following.  Would be great if those who pay UWW for broadcast rights and have a direct channel to contact them would help him out.  

False. 30K subscribers on YouTube is substantial. You can’t monetize on YouTube unless you have 1K subscribers. He didn’t pay for the content. He didn’t create it. He didn’t ask. He didn’t even credit the original source. Monetizing someone else’s work is not cool. I don’t care how good the breakdowns are (and they are pretty good), zero citation and zero credit isn’t going to make you a favorite of the people whose content you’re lifting for your own (possible?) monetization. Pay for it, then modify and post for monetizing.

Here’s Eric’s reply:

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

False. 30K subscribers on YouTube is substantial. You can’t monetize on YouTube unless you have 1K subscribers. He didn’t pay for the content. He didn’t create it. He didn’t ask. He didn’t even credit the original source. Monetizing someone else’s work is not cool. I don’t care how good the breakdowns are (and they are pretty good), zero citation and zero credit isn’t going to make you a favorite of the people whose content you’re lifting for your own (possible?) monetization. Pay for it, then modify and post for monetizing.

Here’s Eric’s reply:

30K subscribers but on average his videos get 3-5K views. If he’s monetizing, he’s getting about $10 per video. What is wrong with somebody making next to nothing off of making technique videos from UWW footage? UWW’s #1 goal should be growing the sport, not going after small time YouTube creators. He’s not ripping off their broadcasts, but actually adding a lot to it with his breakdowns. 

Any content creators who draw interest to the sport are furthering UWW’s mission. If UWW wants credit, that’s fine (although very petty IMO-they’re a governing body of the sport not a local journalist)-they should just ask him to credit them rather than try to get him shut down. But he tried to contact them before he sent out that tweet, so there may be more behind the scenes than simply wanting acknowledgement. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

From the info I’ve gathered, this isn’t as simple as the tweet makes it sound.

I’ve edited my reply for brevity but my premise is this - ever had your stuff lifted somewhere else with no credit or request for permission? I have and it isn’t cool. Doesn’t matter how it’s repackaged.

Credit and attribution is important. Maybe not to you, but you don’t spend your time and money doing this type of thing.

39 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

From the info I’ve gathered, this isn’t as simple as the tweet makes it sound.

I’ve edited my reply for brevity but my premise is this - ever had your stuff lifted somewhere else with no credit or request for permission? I have and it isn’t cool. Doesn’t matter how it’s repackaged.

Credit and attribution is important. Maybe not to you, but you don’t spend your time and money doing this type of thing.

I think there’s a huge difference between lifting something from your podcast and lifting clips from UWW to create a technique video. Agree that the former is completely wrong and leeches off of what you’ve done. The latter grows the sport. 

13 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

How much you want to bet the licensee of UWW videos in the US is involved?

I'll take that bet Mike :)

We've only shut down channels that post full match videos without permission from our events. 

I think Dan's stuff is great, but he's walking a fine line as he's ripping video clips from major events (NCAAs, Olympics, Trials, etc) without permission and some of his videos are getting hundreds of thousands of views. If one of those major outlets wanted to shut him down, they'd be able to do it pretty quick. Hopefully he's able to find a way to keep making his content in a way that's best for everyone involved.

2 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I'll take that bet Mike :)

We've only shut down channels that post full match videos without permission from our events. 

I think Dan's stuff is great, but he's walking a fine line as he's ripping video clips from major events (NCAAs, Olympics, Trials, etc) without permission and some of his videos are getting hundreds of thousands of views. If one of those major outlets wanted to shut him down, they'd be able to do it pretty quick. Hopefully he's able to find a way to keep making his content in a way that's best for everyone involved.

I appreciate you responding.

Do you know how the UWW became aware of his work?

Do you think he has a Fair Use claim?

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

I appreciate you responding.

Do you know how the UWW became aware of his work?

Do you think he has a Fair Use claim?

I would imagine they found out through his activity on Twitter. Dan is very active in promoting his content there and, because it's good, it has a wide reach within our small community.

I don't think he has a Fair Use claim, especially if he's monetizing his content without their permission. I'm sure @JasonBryant knows more about Fair Use than me, but my understanding is it applies mostly to non-profits and for educational purposes.

It looks like UWW might allow Dan to continue making his videos as long as he credits them. Honestly, that's pretty generous especially considering he never received permission in the first place. And like I said, if ESPN or NBC came across his page, they'd probably shut him down quick. Rights for even small clips of NCAAs, Trials, or Olympics are very costly - Dan's paying nothing for them and profiting.

I think there’s a huge difference between lifting something from your podcast and lifting clips from UWW to create a technique video. Agree that the former is completely wrong and leeches off of what you’ve done. The latter grows the sport. 

You do know I’ve generated more than just podcast content that’s been ripped off - it’s been happening since 1997. Written, broadcast, video, audio, stuff from my preview guides, almanacs, lists - and guess what, the “grow the sport” line has been thrown at me when I ask for my stuff to be taken down because I spent the time and money creating it. It may be contextually different but it’s the same thing. You’re saying taking someone else’s stuff for personal financial gain is fine if some thinks it “helps the sport?”

It’s like the guys who ripped all my old InterMat Premium Service stuff and posted it years ago, claiming the stuff I did wasn’t proprietary and charging for it was “not growing the sport” as a defense.

I love Dan Sweeney’s breakdowns.  Here is a guy who truly loves wrestling and related sports, and who is sharing his passion with others. Truly fantastic stuff.

In fact, my instinct is to suggest that UWW pay Mr. Sweeney for keeping people engaged.

Objectively — for Americans — freestyle is an obscure sport, it involves a rotating cast of unknown names, and events are held irregularly and at inconvenient hours. UWW should absolutely cherish someone who is keeping people engaged despite all that.

I don’t know the legalities involved, but is there some difference between Sweeney’s amazing breakdowns, and all the NBA clips that are readily available, seemingly everywhere?

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

In the last decade we had a huge increase in access to the sport..... now we get to see it all fall behind a paywall. I get it, but I worry that is shortsighted; short term returns while sacrificing long term gains.

You should switch to being primarily a basketball fan, like I did. It is far easier and far more pleasant to follow that sport.

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

You should switch to being primarily a basketball fan, like I did. It is far easier and far more pleasant to follow that sport.

This last year, I have watched far less wrestling than I did in the previous 10. I have become fatigued from the subscription model. I dont have enough time to justify multiple subscriptions so I really just watch if I can catch something on Big10 network. 

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

This last year, I have watched far less wrestling than I did in the previous 10. I have become fatigued from the subscription model. I dont have enough time to justify multiple subscriptions so I really just watch if I can catch something on Big10 network. 

Right. It seems to me that the current model is destroying itself.