Jimmy Cinnabon

Seems like there's a real chance NCAA gets cancelled this year

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Saw this quote today in NYTimes:

"John Bell, a professor of medicine at Oxford University and an adviser to the British government, said that Omicron was “not the same disease we were seeing a year ago.”“The horrific scenes that we saw a year ago of intensive care units being full, lots of people dying prematurely, that is now history, in my view, and I think we should be reassured that that’s likely to continue,” he told the BBC on Tuesday."

I'm going with Mr. Bell's opinion.  Let em wrestle.

Yes, vaccines work really well.

I haven't heard anything about Micron that leads me to believe on should really go out of their way, or sacrifice to avoid.  Everyone I know that has been getting it makes it sound like a bad cold.

19 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

No.  I did not realize that underlined section was a link.  Sorry.  Did you follow the link and see the "Tools to Fight Omicron".  At best this "news source" cherry picked one part of what the CDC wrote and used it to mislead people.  My opinion...

I'm not understanding how,  the 'validity' of the quote hinges on who uses it?

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Um.... did you read the end of the article... you know the part about fighting against Omicron? Did you read the title of what the article was about?  It's okay for you to be anti-religion but still acknowledge that a religiously based article got it's facts straight. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 3.16.46 PM.png

I'm in no way "anti-religion".  In fact, until the Covid thing happened, you would find me in the same small Baptist church I attended as a small child (almost) every Sunday morning.  My wife and I did not return after we got our vaccines, because the minister and his wife, and some other members (including my sister) did not get the vaccine because of "religious reasons".   I honestly had/have absolutely no idea what that means.  In fact, I do not at all understand the conflict of religion vs science.  An education in Physics and 40+ years as an engineer did nothing but reinforce my belief that it all didn't just happen randomly.

28 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

I'm in no way "anti-religion".  In fact, until the Covid thing happened, you would find me in the same small Baptist church I attended as a small child (almost) every Sunday morning.  My wife and I did not return after we got our vaccines, because the minister and his wife, and some other members (including my sister) did not get the vaccine because of "religious reasons".   I honestly had/have absolutely no idea what that means.  In fact, I do not at all understand the conflict of religion vs science.  An education in Physics and 40+ years as an engineer did nothing but reinforce my belief that it all didn't just happen randomly.

My apologies for the assumption then. I mistook your position against the source as being anti-religion because it was a religious source. That's what I get for assuming. 

Just now, MagnetBack said:

Would be nice to be able to finish the season but it seems unlikely at this point. 

I think we finish it. In a few days, millions of kids will go back to school, and the case rate will spike epically, crushing prior records. Nobody dares lock down schools again. There'd be a civil war. We will have to "live with COVID", and NCAAs will occur.

47 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

That's not what the quote says. He said Omicron is not the same disease we were seeing a year ago which has nothing to do with the vaccines.

The intensity of symptoms post-Omicron versus post-other variants is still being analyzed. The one elephant in the room that makes the analysis particularly difficult is that there are so many vaccinated people now that comparisons are very difficult outside of small samples with questionable control variables. There's no scientist in the world who can definitively state Omicron is "X" times better/worse than Delta or whatever else because the world has changed in a year.

20 minutes ago, Idaho said:

My apologies for the assumption then. I mistook your position against the source as being anti-religion because it was a religious source. That's what I get for assuming. 

No problem.  No offense taken.  I must confess that I am anti-BIG-religion.  I have seen so many perversions of Christianity in the name of money and power, I am skeptical of almost everything like this (and anything vaguely like this).  I honestly did a poor job of reading the article.  I did some assuming...
Take care.  Hopefully, this new variant will blow over and we can watch the NCAAs come March!  Then we can get back to arguing about important things like Iowa, PSU, tOSU, Cornell, etc, etc.

Well - read this one.  Omicron protects against delta!  Omicron is not going to cause massive deaths. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/12/28/health/covid-omicron-antibodies-delta.amp.html

if you take the time to understand viruses, you’d realize that the variants get less severe so they can survive. We are onto the 15th variant and they are proving out history. Weaker variants, more contagion and less severity allows the virus to survive by not killing off its hosts. 

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

*Significantly lower chance of getting and spreading it if vaxxed - even for Omicron.

well if you know its significant then you've seen the data so what is the Omicro transmission rate for:

a) unvaccinated 

b) vaccinated 

and what is the confidence interval &/or test statistic?

And even if above supported by data then why are all these high vaccinated areas, cities, college campuses having there highest number ever, even before vaccines?

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

well if you know its significant then you've seen the data so what is the Omicro transmission rate for:

a) unvaccinated 

b) vaccinated 

and what is the confidence interval &/or test statistic?

And even if above supported by data then why are all these high vaccinated areas, cities, college campuses having there highest number ever, even before vaccines?

How does natural immunity play into it?  Natural plus vax?

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

*Significantly lower chance of getting and spreading it if vaxxed - even for Omicron.

This doesn't answer the above question but interesting info regarding Omicron and the type of vaccination.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-er-doc-breaks-down-how-omicron-affects-the-boosted-vaxxed-and-unvaccinated/3468742/?amp