nhs67

Arizona State VS Michigan-Monday, January 3rd

11 hours ago, Jrr277 said:

It's a bad look when you push hard for mask/vaccine mandates and lockdowns and you fly to a state with neither and ignore the rules you've imposed on your peasants. Kind of a "let them eat cake" kind of thing.

+

Just to throw out another component to think about......and again I'm not defending that decision but rather trying to figure out how it may have come to, without just coming on here and telling everyone what an idiot they are if they think this or that.....

But you have to also take into account how sue happy our entire country is, and the possibility that someone could come from that event having picked up the virus and gotten really sick, then that person looks at that there were possible covid positives competing in that event, organizers knew it, and allowed it to continue without taking every single possible litigation measure.  That person now decides to sue the venue, Flosports, Arizona State, Michigan, etc etc.  Organizations have to also protect themselves.   The decision may have been about liability just as much as 'the science'.

Just now, 1032004 said:

What did he say?  That they have more of an impact than purple bunny ears?  Is that the bar we're setting as "defending"?

The point the person, I think lipdrag or something, was making is that masks wearing, WHILE WRESTLING, is no more safe than wearing purple bunny ears.  At which point GWN, started in by saying yes they do, and that's why dr's and such wear them.  So either GWN was defending wearing a mask while wrestling, or GWN brought up Dr's. for no reason whatsoever because it had nothing to do with what lipdrag said?  I took it as the former and if it was the latter, my apologies, and GWN is posting non-related wrestling with masks on things than.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Just to throw out another component to think about......and again I'm not defending that decision but rather trying to figure out how it may have come to, without just coming on here and telling everyone what an idiot they are if they think this or that.....

But you have to also take into account how sue happy our entire country is, and the possibility that someone could come from that event having picked up the virus and gotten really sick, then that person looks at that there were possible covid positives competing in that event, organizers knew it, and allowed it to continue without taking every single possible litigation measure.  That person now decides to sue the venue, Flosports, Arizona State, Michigan, etc etc.  Organizations have to also protect themselves.   The decision may have been about liability just as much as 'the science'.

I have no doubt that this is true.  I hate the part of our country that is so freaking sue happy.  I understand that if a person is known to be positive, they should not be allowed to wrestle; however, if a person chooses to attend an event where there is a lot of people close by, and a pandemic is going on, they have taken on all the risk by choosing to be there.  Again, I know that isn't how people that sue look at things, but again, common sense is truly a lost art.

8 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I have no doubt that this is true.  I hate the part of our country that is so freaking sue happy.  I understand that if a person is known to be positive, they should not be allowed to wrestle; however, if a person chooses to attend an event where there is a lot of people close by, and a pandemic is going on, they have taken on all the risk by choosing to be there.  Again, I know that isn't how people that sue look at things, but again, common sense is truly a lost art.

This is the type of nuanced take that was lacking from the people who were complaining on Twitter. The fact that this dual took place at all was great for the fans-and I’m happy athletes were willing to wrestle given the circumstances.

14 minutes ago, dman115 said:

That's not entirely true, in a legal sense.  There's risk everyone takes every time they go to any kind of event.  Venue's and organizers still have an obligation to provide safe environments.  If you go to a venue in a snow storm, you take a risk of slipping on the sidewalk and breaking you're neck.  The venue and organizers still have an obligation to make that trip to their venue as safe for the public as possible, and take some mitigating action (like clearing the entry way for example) towards that.

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Purple bunny ears have the same effect as masks at minimizing risk, you say.

Tell that to every doctor and nurse who wears a mask while treating Covid victims. And every surgeon in an operating room wearing a mask to protect everyone in the room.

You think that masks don't work? They do. Think again.

Telling people that masks work and then leaving it at that might give people a false impression they are protected just so long as they are wearing a mask. Americans don't tend to wear masks in public the way nurses and physicians wear masks in hospital settings. The way Americans wear masks in Home Depot or your local supermarket is just not the same as the way nurses wear masks in hospitals. That is why former FDA head Scott Gottlieb said this on Meet The Press this past Sunday.

"Cloth masks aren't going to provide a lot of protection, that's the bottom line," Gottlieb told host Margaret Brennan on Sunday morning.

"This is an airborne illness," he continued. "We now understand that, and a cloth mask is not going to protect you from a virus that spreads through airborne transmission."

"It could protect better through droplet transmission, something like the flu, but not something like this coronavirus," explained Gottlieb, who was a clinical assistant professor at New York University School of Medicine before becoming the 23rd FDA commissioner in 2017.

N95 masks, if properly fitted, they work. Improperly fitted and they are far less effective. Surgical masks can work, but again they are far less effective when worn improperly. Cloth masks are the least effective against Omicron and, frankly, I think Gottlieb is likely correct given just how infectious Omicron is. They are even less effective when worn improperly. 

111 Wearing Face Mask Wrong Photos - Free & Royalty-Free ...

11 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

there's still questions about McGee's kimura defense so until those are answered, advantage DeSanto 

Benson Henderson is down the road in Glendale.  Hopefully McGee follows this board religiously, heeds my advice, boogies over there and learns how to defend that kimura

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's not entirely true, in a legal sense.  There's risk everyone takes every time they go to any kind of event.  Venue's and organizers still have an obligation to provide safe environments.  If you go to a venue in a snow storm, you take a risk of slipping on the sidewalk and breaking you're neck.  The venue and organizers still have an obligation to make that trip to their venue as safe for the public as possible, and take some mitigating action (like clearing the entry way for example) towards that.

Totally understand that.