gowrestle

Spencer Lee Done?

18 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Do I think Lee should have focused on Senior level more than college? Yup. But different people have different priorities and Lee and his family definitely understand the bigger picture. Lees decisions have felt like someone with different priorities I don’t like. Not like he’s ignorant or manipulated 

I think we basically agree in that case. Except I think the coaches should have strongly encouraged him to focus on recovery rather than wrestling to win team titles. I’m not saying that they pushed him to compete against his will-just that they didn’t encourage a decision that would have prioritized his future.

As a fan, I want to see Lee at 100% beating Russia/Iran. Not winning an NCAA title on two torn ACLs against people he outclasses. 

So reading this thread and every other forum, including Hawkeye Report, The Facebook Room, and the Twittersphere I believe itnhas been decided that this is all the Brands Bro's faults.  Only their's and not one other soul else.

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

"They" being Iowa/Brands told Spencer Lee to, " do it right and get both fixed or just go"?  That's how you believe the situation was/is being handled?

I think the doctors told him, based off the way the doctors were with my acls and what I know 

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

"They" being Iowa/Brands told Spencer Lee to, " do it right and get both fixed or just go"?  That's how you believe the situation was/is being handled?

a lot of people are trying to funnel a complex years long dialogue into some sort of low resolution good guy vs bad guy scenario....

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

a lot of people are trying to funnel a complex years long dialogue into some sort of low resolution good guy vs bad guy scenario....

I get it hammer. But this cat knows. I'm asking because I'm curious what he knows.

Hope every prospective recruit remembers this one. Iowa takes a generational talent and sacrifices his health and future for their own goals. 

Anyone defending Iowa here has some crazy bias, this is straight up negligence and has been for what appears to be several years. 

Edited by newuser69

Just now, newuser69 said:

Hope every prospective recruit remembers this one. Iowa takes a generational talent and sacrifice's his health and future for their own goals. 

Anyone defending Iowa here has some crazy bias, this is straight up negligence and has been for what appears to be several years. 

and who can you trust if not newuser69?

14 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

You funneled it into “ducking”

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think it’s worth noting that many of us were shocked Lee didn’t get surgery right after NCAAs and said it was a dumb decision. 

clearly we were right. Im not blaming anyone in particular, but this was a pretty obvious outcome. 

I think there is probably a substantial portion of Lee fans who feel this way. Everyone could see the incredible potential and didn't want to see it gambled with. I pray he can make a full recovery and get back to being a destroyer of worlds.

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think it’s worth noting that many of us were shocked Lee didn’t get surgery right after NCAAs and said it was a dumb decision. 

I don't remember anyone saying that, and I haven't heard an argument for why he didn't get surgery if it was so obviously the right decision. 

You know he's not the only guy without an ACL right?

Plenty of top collegiate wrestlers who had early success in freestyle choose not to pursue international wrestling and focus their training and choices on folkstyle/NCAA achievements during that window.  Lee and his family are smart and I assume he was a decision maker with full agency all the way along. He had plenty of leverage and I do not believe he was pressured into his choices.  He could have transferred in 10 seconds if he was inclined to do so.

No idea if he will pursue futher success in collegiate or international competition and if he does I wish him good health and all the best.  If he does not, he has been among the best and a joy to watch compete. No reason to demonize anyone if he has come to the end of his competitive days.  I say this although I really don't ever root for Iowa wrestling (but respect it).

2 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Plenty of top collegiate wrestlers who had early success in freestyle choose not to pursue international wrestling and focus their training and choices on folkstyle/NCAA achievements during that window.  Lee and his family are smart and I assume he was a decision maker with full agency all the way along. He had plenty of leverage and I do not believe he was pressured into his choices.  He could have transferred in 10 seconds if he was inclined to do so.

No idea if he will pursue futher success in collegiate or international competition and if he does I wish him good health and all the best.  If he does not, he has been among the best and a joy to watch compete. No reason to demonize anyone if he has come to the end of his competitive days.  I say this although I really don't ever root for Iowa wrestling (but respect it).

also this whole idea that he didn't pursue freestyle in college is dumb in the first place. he only skipped 1 summer and said in an interview he needed a break after wrestling at 4 straight world championships followed by a summer of intense acl rehab right into his true freshman season. he couldn't have predicted he would tear his acl in the ncaa finals the next year and have to miss another freestyle season and then the next season would get cancelled by a global pandemic lol. then another acl tear last year. both of his acl tears happened in postseason matches, so unless the argument is that he shouldn't have wrestled in college at all, it makes no sense. you would then have to make that argument for every other great wrestler not named henry cejudo.

2013-2016: age level world champ

2017: acl recovery

2018: break

2019: acl recovery

2020: skipped part of the college season to win the US Open, trials/olympics cancelled

2021: acl recovery