gowrestle

Spencer Lee Done?

Well hopefully Spencer can get well, and gets to do whatever he wants in wrestling. I would love to see him win an Olympic or World title, but these are serious injuries and hopefully it all works out for him. 

43 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

No I didn't.

I reacted to the Glory situation in that respect, when we all had every reason to believe Lee was healthy. You know this. 

Why Would we have have that belief

13 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

You mean when I implied he ducked glory? 

Because he had a 9 month window to get surgery or whatever other procedure seemed necessary and didn't. 

Which is asinine if you understand he didn’t get surgery to try to win team title and how he had been doing 

Why is there confusion about why he didn't get surgery right away? He addresses this in his post: his other knee, the one he tore against Mueller, responded really well to just rehab. He thought he could do the same this time around. Gave the ole' college try. It didn't work out

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Wow, if true. Lee has made it clear how much he values the team goals. To take a medical redshirt, again if true, would have had to be an anguishing decision for him.

He also likely put his own international aspirations on hold for the team, and I really hope he doesn't end up losing his 2024 opportunity to injury.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Why is there confusion about why he didn't get surgery right away? He addresses this in his post: his other knee, the one he tore against Mueller, responded really well to just rehab. He thought he could do the same this time around. Gave the ole' college try. It didn't work out

you expect us to believe spencer lee? how would he know??? too speculative. 

49 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

I don't understand why people are going in circles about hypotheticals when lee literally made a post explaining what happened...  Most surgeons will recommend attempting rehab before surgery.  I have had both labrums repaired and on the first one the dr said the tear was really bad and it was my call.  I opted for surgery and it worked.  2nd time (other shoulder) he said this one isn't so bad, you should try rehab first.  I did and it didn't work, so several months later I had another surgery.

If Lee tore one knee and was fine after rehab there is no reason a Dr. would console him to try surgery before rehab on the 2nd knee unless the injury was much worse.  he tried rehab and it didn't work (likely compounded by his other knee still not being 100%).  So now he is having surgery.  Seems pretty straightforward

Edited by lost

5 minutes ago, lost said:

I don't understand why people are going in circles about hypotheticals when lee literally made a post explaining what happened...  Most surgeons will recommend attempting rehab before surgery.  I have had both labrums repaired and on the first one the dr said the tear was really bad and it was my call.  I opted for surgery and it worked.  2nd time (other shoulder) he said this one isn't so bad, you should try rehab first.  I did and it didn't work, so several months later I had another surgery.

If Lee tore one knee and was fine after rehab there is no reason a Dr. would console him to try surgery before rehab on the 2nd knee unless the injury was much worse.  he tried rehab and it didn't work (likely compounded by his other knee still not being 100%).  So now he is having surgery.  Seems pretty straightforward

But was he really fine with rehab? Yes, he could compete and win NCAAs with just rehab on his knee.  But was he really 100%?  Or was he just so much better than everyone else at the NCAA level that he won despite the limited knee? I think many look at this situation and ask why the focus was on getting Lee healthy enough to wrestle at NCAAs and not on getting him healthy enough to be 100% and compete at the world/olympic level-and from my perspective it seems he hasn't been 100% for years. 

I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t get this surgery back in April of last year.

I’ve read the explanations but they still don’t make sense to me. Even watching him at NCAA’s he looked like he was at 60%. Then he decided not to go for worlds either so it’s not like he was feeling fantastic yet he still decided against surgery.

Edited by wamba

People are taking a really simple situation and making it extremely complicated and Machiavellian to take a shot at Brands.

He wanted to compete. He tried. It wasn't working. He aborted the mission.

The most likely scenario is that winning a year title means a lot to him and this was Iowa's most reasonable shot at it for the next few years, and/or he didn't want to wrestle another year of NCAA style, so he decided to try to push thru since he dominated last year. The newest knee injury didn't respond (as he explicitly stated) so he pulled the plug. Now he'll come back because 4 titles is obviously a big deal.

You only have to listen to one interview to realize that Lee and his family were very involved in this decision-making process.

Anyway, this sucks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

People are taking a really simple situation and making it extremely complicated and Machiavellian to take a shot at Brands.

He wanted to compete. He tried. It wasn't working. He aborted the mission.

The most likely scenario is that winning a year title means a lot to him and this was Iowa's most reasonable shot at it for the next few years, and/or he didn't want to wrestle another year of NCAA style, so he decided to try to push thru since he dominated last year. The newest knee injury didn't respond (as he explicitly stated) so he pulled the plug. Now he'll come back because 4 titles is obviously a big deal.

You only have to listen to one interview to realize that Lee and his family were very involved in this decision-making process.

Anyway, this sucks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was just about to write pretty much the exact same thing. 

One thing to understand is not everyone has the mindset of these guys that are the elite wrestlers in the world. A small percentage do. Therefore, sometimes it’s hard for us to figure out their thought process…

So glad to see a few folks finally commenting that an explanation has been provided by Spencer himself. 

I really feel for the guy and those that support him.  Simply amazing wrestler.  Our sport is worse off due to his injuries.  Very much hoping for and wishing him a very successful set of surgeries … and recovery.

8 hours ago, wamba said:

I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t get this surgery back in April of last year.

I’ve read the explanations but they still don’t make sense to me. Even watching him at NCAA’s he looked like he was at 60%. Then he decided not to go for worlds either so it’s not like he was feeling fantastic yet he still decided against surgery.

then you have a reading comprehension issue. his first knee responded extremely well to rehab. he felt great. he thought the second one would respond the same way. it didn’t. the rehab he’s talking about is a months long process of strengthening the surrounding muscles to compensate for the loss of stability in the ligament. how he felt at ncaa’s has no bearing on it. when he made the decision to not get surgery, he thought he would feel great months later after rehab. he didn’t so now he’s getting surgery. people are making this too complicated because they don’t want to admit they were wrong when iowa posters have been explaining this for months.

9 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

But was he really fine with rehab? Yes, he could compete and win NCAAs with just rehab on his knee.  But was he really 100%?  Or was he just so much better than everyone else at the NCAA level that he won despite the limited knee? I think many look at this situation and ask why the focus was on getting Lee healthy enough to wrestle at NCAAs and not on getting him healthy enough to be 100% and compete at the world/olympic level-and from my perspective it seems he hasn't been 100% for years. 

again, read the statement. 

the original decision to not get surgery on the first one was because there was not enough time to recover and qualify for the olympics, so he went with rehab to make it through until he could have surgery. it was how well he responded to that rehab that influenced this second decision. he specifically talk about how his performance at the US open without a brace made him feel great about his knee and changed his mind about surgery. 

people see what they want. don’t want to accept that he wasn’t locked in a basement and prevented from surgery. 

28 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

then you have a reading comprehension issue. his first knee responded extremely well to rehab. he felt great. he thought the second one would respond the same way. it didn’t. the rehab he’s talking about is a months long process of strengthening the surrounding muscles to compensate for the loss of stability in the ligament. how he felt at ncaa’s has no bearing on it. when he made the decision to not get surgery, he thought he would feel great months later after rehab. he didn’t so now he’s getting surgery. people are making this too complicated because they don’t want to admit they were wrong when iowa posters have been explaining this for months.

I’ve read it.

It just that the plan didn’t and doesn’t make sense, to me at least. 

I can’t remember any other elite wrestlers with such aspirations who blew out their knee(s) and decided not to get surgery. I mean, his rehab time post surgery would be fairly far along if he’d have gone that route.

I should also add it’s ironic for you to call out others for being wrong when Lee is the one getting surgery now while many people have been saying for a long time that he should have got surgery and rested up.

Edited by wamba