NJDan

Why is Iowa Silent?

14 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

This place is great. One guy is angry Kyle Dake didn't personally consult him about a health problem 8 years ago, and this guy says the public is entitled to immediately know about Iowa wrestling injuries and treatment.

It's not an entitlement to know. The "news" is out there.  If it's not true, Iowa should say so. If it is true, Iowa should say that. This is not a high school team-- they have a national following and have some responsibility to the fans. At least I think they do. They might not think so.

30 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Press release tomorrow. i'm sure they apologize for not being on NJDan of themat.com's time

But if you are a journalist-- and I gather you are in a way-- you should not wait for the press release. Nor should you break the news on a message board. Wait, you didn't break the news at all. You just acted like a know-it-all without actually reporting anything. That is, as you say, douchey.

Edited by NJDan

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

that should lay it out pretty clearly. this is basically exactly what iowa fans have been saying on this forum for months. 

Interesting that Lee has more of a news sense and feeling of responsibility than the U Iowa athletic department.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

this was 100% put together with the help of Iowa PR.

I imagine it was. But the fact remains that Lee made a statement before Iowa did. That's cool, I guess. The important thing is that the story is confirmed.

11 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Interesting that Lee has more of a news sense and feeling of responsibility than the U Iowa athletic department.

So basically your gripe is that the athlete in question commented on his own status publicly before anyone else in the program did? 

You can’t be this offended. You’re trying too hard. 

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

OMG DON'T ASK JP157 THAT!!!!

What does Iowa not commenting yet have to do with me saying.. that you saying Spencer Lee was ducking because he didn’t wrestle in meaningless duals in November and “should” have wrestled unless you were told entire story.. was obtuse 

Edited by jp157

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

What does Iowa not commenting yet have to do with me saying.. that you saying Spencer Lee was ducking because he didn’t wrestle in meaningless duals in November and “should” have wrestled unless you were told entire story.. was obtuse 

Fair enough dude. I wasn't taking that angle with todays news. All good.

In case you were wondering, Iowa’s release was received in my email at 6:03 p.m. Spencer’s tweet posted three minutes earlier. Iowa embedded Spencer’s tweet in their release. It’s not like they scrambled to post something after Spencer went public.

I ask you NJDan, you have to know someone who knows how this stuff works. Maybe try to DM or e-mail them to get your answers vs. being so combative with the community.

14 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

In case you were wondering, Iowa’s release was received in my email at 6:03 p.m. Spencer’s tweet posted three minutes earlier. Iowa embedded Spencer’s tweet in their release. It’s not like they scrambled to post something after Spencer went public.

I ask you NJDan, you have to know someone who knows how this stuff works. Maybe try to DM or e-mail them to get your answers vs. being so combative with the community.

I see their press release now, all 2 sentences of it. Impressive work. FWIW, my comments and comments by others, came hours before Iowa's release. The release came well after others reported the news. The release itself is pretty lame, not nearly as substantive as Lee's own statement. 

I don't know why comments about the news and Iowa's response bothers you. And FWIW, I believe I do know "how this stuff works" or is supposed to work. Even if he two statements were close in time, a team essentially re-posting an athlete's personal comment is not the way.

Edited by NJDan

1 minute ago, JasonBryant said:

Just goes to show some people will never be pleased when they get exactly what they ask for. 

Jason, are you new to the Internet? Commenting on the news is pretty normal. Maybe you should DM someone.

12 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Demanding schools work on your schedule is distinctly a YOU thing. Good day. 

Now that's an idiotic comment. I was not "demanding" anyone adhere to my schedule. How could I? I was simply noting that there was big news reported by several outlets about the biggest name at Iowa (also one of the biggest names in the sport) so it was odd that Iowa was not getting in front of the story either by denying it or by confirming it, as it eventually did. It's also odd that Lee reported the news before Iowa did. It's not wrong, but it is unusual, as if Lee forced the school's hand