portajohn

Minnow on the Kem Rumor

I am not buying that Brands screwed over Swafford at all.  It goes against everything I know about the Brands.  Think about how all the wrestlers would feel if this happened that way.  Like I said I am not buying that anyone was promised anything about starting.

I mean, could be that swaford was going to be the guy, then lost 3 matches at the scuffle against negligible competition. I could understand if this guy was an AA contender losing out on a podium spot, but if you get promoted to starter and can't perform the coach is totally justified in benching you. 

As a self proclaimed Iowa hater this is an interesting situation but a bit overblown.

Could Brands have handled better, yes, a simple disclaimer to Swafford all week that "nothing is guaranteed, but you look like you are the guy on Friday" because it is pretty clear that Swafford and the community around him were 'certain' and based on his standing in the program it never should have been certain.

With all due respect to the backups and room guys everywhere, this kid should welcome any chance to compete in the starting lineup now and the next 2-3 years, however long he has, because they are only going to be in circumstances that are exceptions.  They will be a blessing -- leave it at that, not an entitlement. 

also tbc, swafford isn’t the one complaining. it’s his brother, who has since apologized. 

i think it was handled poorly, but i also think that nothing fundamentally changes too. swafford will likely wrestle a couple duals. he was never “promised the spot.” he was pulled so he could spot start for kem now that brands is apparently hurt. kemerer was clear on twitter that he would be back. this kid was likely never going to start. same situation as ybarra. this was his chance to be in the lineup. 

the screw up was putting the kid in front of the media all week talking about getting to live his dream. if there was any chance of kem going, you don’t do that. you let him talk about his dream AFTER he actually gets to wrestle. the kid’s whole family made the trip thinking he was going to wrestle because of that. poorly done by brands. 

If Swafford, who by all counts is a decent wrestler but not a world beater, wanted to start on a D1 team, he should have gone to a school that isn't as competitive as Iowa. I have little sympathy for guys who don't end up starting when they go to a top 5 program. That's the price you pay. That being said, it is a ****ty situation if he got his shirt pulled for no reason. It's an odd situation with Kemerer right now, he did not look good. I don't think he finishes the season. 

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty sure it's actually Swatford's brother.  His sentence structure and discussion format are nearly identical.

It hardly ever ends well for people who post about their family members on the board.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You are wrong.  The results absolutely are relevant as are the potential results.  Did you not watch the dual?  How many decisions that were decided by 2 points or less did the Hawkeys win? Five. 

Kem is out and Swafford is in: 6 point swing.  19-13.   Just ONE of those other matches go the other way, and it is on to criteria.  Would have been a loss for CHA B1G opener.

So even from a coaching standpoint the call made 100% sense.  Like it or not the Brands Bros are the highest paid coaches in D1 wrestling for a reason.

Also, there is no proof other than yourself (Minnow) and Swatford's brother's emotionally fueled Twitter tirade that proves the Brands Bros promised him anything.  No coach in the upper echelon of D1 is going to make that sort of promise to a 12-6 NAIA transfer who took three losses at the watered down Scuffle.  Not if they are serious about trying to contend for a trophy, let alone a title.

Again: The pinnacle  If he cannot handle it he should have never been in the room to begin with.

I get that he is a 2x NAIA champ, but in addition to those Scuffle losses BS also has a loss to a Div. 3 guy and a third-string freshman from Mizzou.  He should have used his common sense and realized he was never going to end the season as the starter.  

5 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

the kid’s whole family made the trip thinking he was going to wrestle because of that. poorly done by brands. 

While I agree with most of what you said the trip is an hour drive from his hometown. So I’m not sure the trip itself putting them out much compared to some families that fly across the country to see their child compete.  Maybe it was a emotional let down for them, but I wouldn’t focus on the trip part.  

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

While I agree with most of what you said the trip is an hour drive from his hometown. So I’m not sure the trip itself putting them out much compared to some families that fly across the country to see their child compete.  Maybe it was a emotional let down for them, but I wouldn’t focus on the trip part.  

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

He is from Mediapolis, which is 1 hour away 

lol i never said they travelled cross country. they drove an hour expecting to see their guy live out his dream. it’s been built up all week. and they got the rug pulled out from them when they got to the building. that sucks. 

also if you read his brothers apology, he’s a single dad of 3 living close to paycheck to paycheck. shelling out money for tickets, a sitter, and time to make the trip probably is a lot harder for him than many. not everybody has the ability to waste “an hour trip” like that. 

10 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

lol i never said they travelled cross country. they drove an hour expecting to see their guy live out his dream. it’s been built up all week. and they got the rug pulled out from them when they got to the building. that sucks. 

also if you read his brothers apology, he’s a single dad of 3 living close to paycheck to paycheck. shelling out money for tickets, a sitter, and time to make the trip probably is a lot harder for him than many. not everybody has the ability to waste “an hour trip” like that. 

good point... 

Did Brands know that Kem was coming back on January 1st when he pulled Swafford's redshirt for the Southern Scuffle?  Or, did Kem decide to wrestle after that? 

From the twitter comments it seems to suggest Kem had planned on wrestling all along. If that be the case I have to wonder why he would pull the redshirt knowing that Kem was going to wrestle. Of course the missing pieces are the conversations between coach, Kem and Swafford. 

From a roster perspective, if they needed another 174,  they were not going to pull Kennedy's redshirt and bump him up....Myles Wilson is at 184 now...McClimon has not won a match except for Med FFTs.  So I am not sure what you do there other than pull Swafford's redshirt if you need a spot starter this season.

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Did Brands know that Kem was coming back on January 1st when he pulled Swafford's redshirt for the Southern Scuffle?  Or, did Kem decide to wrestle after that? 

From the twitter comments it seems to suggest Kem had planned on wrestling all along. If that be the case I have to wonder why he would pull the redshirt knowing that Kem was going to wrestle. Of course the missing pieces are the conversations between coach, Kem and Swafford. 

From a roster perspective, if they needed another 174,  they were not going to pull Kennedy's redshirt and bump him up....Myles Wilson is at 184 now...McClimon has not won a match except for Med FFTs.  So I am not sure what you do there other than pull Swafford's redshirt if you need a spot starter this season.

that’s why imo the issue was not the decision to wrestle kemerer, but the lead up. i don’t think swafford was told the spot was his (and i don’t see anywhere where his family is claiming that either). i think he knew he would be spot starting. in that sense, nothing changes. wouldn’t be surprised to see him against purdue on sunday. his tweet saying he loves his team shows that imo.

the problem is that they led everyone to believe he was wrestling last night and set him and his family up for a major let down. is it a catastrophe? no. but it was inconsiderate and poorly handled. nobody made them put the kid out in front of the media all week.

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I think one of the issues is that Swafford could have wrestled the Scuffle without having his shirt pulled. Pulling his shirt to wrestle an open tournament with mostly back ups and unattached wrestlers just was not necessary. It is an unforced error on the Brands. While it may imply that Kemerer is not wrestling, or perhaps not wrestling a full schedule, it seems you could wait to pull his shirt, and wait to have his family travel to Carver to see him wrestle, until when it matters.

32 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Do redshirts still have to pay their own way to open tournaments? Could have played a factor in pulling the shirt at the scuffle if they knew he'd get some spot starts for duals (no way Kem wrestles the whole schedule as broken as he looks).

By rule, everyone unattached has to pay for all expenses.

In practice (either directly or indirectly), expenses get paid for more often than not.

36 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Do redshirts still have to pay their own way to open tournaments? Could have played a factor in pulling the shirt at the scuffle if they knew he'd get some spot starts for duals (no way Kem wrestles the whole schedule as broken as he looks).

Did he really look that bad? The whole team looked fairly flat last night but I thought Kem wrestled a solid, controlled match for his first time back. He didn't appear to be limited by the brace

7 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Did he really look that bad? The whole team looked fairly flat last night but I thought Kem wrestled a solid, controlled match for his first time back. He didn't appear to be limited by the brace

It looked to me like he was protecting his shoulder. I thought he wrestled the match you described but he looked limited to me.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think one of the issues is that Swafford could have wrestled the Scuffle without having his shirt pulled. Pulling his shirt to wrestle an open tournament with mostly back ups and unattached wrestlers just was not necessary. It is an unforced error on the Brands. While it may imply that Kemerer is not wrestling, or perhaps not wrestling a full schedule, it seems you could wait to pull his shirt, and wait to have his family travel to Carver to see him wrestle, until when it matters.

And how do we know that it was pulled at Scuffle?  All I've heard is the singlet argument which isn't sufficient information, who were the coaches in the corner.  I saw other true freshmen (not pulled) wrestling in what looked like college program singlet (and listed on FLO bracket with program) but its harder to tell these days as programs have so many different singlets and then there's the RTC's, but those guys were not coached by college coaches.  But the bigger thing is everyone knows how this works, they've been going down to Scuffle decades+, you send a true Fr down to see if he is ready and then officially pull the shirt at the first Jan dual.  The only way you'd do otherwise is if trying to win the Scuffle team title, Iowa wasn't even really participating.  Is it really possible that Brands forgot what he was doing?  

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

And how do we know that it was pulled at Scuffle?  All I've heard is the singlet argument which isn't sufficient information, who were the coaches in the corner.  I saw other true freshmen (not pulled) wrestling in what looked like college program singlet (and listed on FLO bracket with program) but its harder to tell these days as programs have so many different singlets and then there's the RTC's, but those guys were not coached by college coaches.  But the bigger thing is everyone knows how this works, they've been going down to Scuffle decades+, you send a true Fr down to see if he is ready and then officially pull the shirt at the first Jan dual.  The only way you'd do otherwise is if trying to win the Scuffle team title, Iowa wasn't even really participating.  Is it really possible that Brands forgot what he was doing?  

You can't use institutional resources as an unattached wrestler.  A team-issued singlet is school resources (same as hotels, travel, employed coaches coaching, etc.). So if he was in an official Iowa singlet then he was wrestling attached and thus no redshirt at that point.

24 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

It looked to me like he was protecting his shoulder. I thought he wrestled the match you described but he looked limited to me.

Fair enough. There was a sequence where he got very extended on a shot and that made me nervous. He fought through it though and was able to score a takedown later so I was encouraged by that 

10 minutes ago, cowcards15 said:

You can't use institutional resources as an unattached wrestler.  A team-issued singlet is school resources (same as hotels, travel, employed coaches coaching, etc.). So if he was in an official Iowa singlet then he was wrestling attached and thus no redshirt at that point.

And we don't know he was in an "official" Iowa singlet so who were the coaches?  A much easier item to check/confirm.