MizzouGrad

Wrestling media is toxic

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Judging by the tweets, it sounds like some idiot invented a contraption that sanitizes mats using high powered UV lamps instead of disinfectant liquid.  Obviously, that's a terrible invention for multiple reasons.  In the process of trying to repair/use one of these devices, it sounds like both Corby (whoever this is???) and Willie unfortunately suffered from burns to their eyes (which happens when exposed to UV light), and is very serious. 

I have no idea why they are feuding as a result of this-maybe somebody else can fill in the details from here.  

I believe it was the "Sterilaser" - but why is it a terrible invention?   I would think it's probably better than pushing dirt around with a mop.

Corby is on Willie's podcast and "works" for him - he was one of the announcers of Collegiate Duals.   Speculation seems to be that there was a dispute over Willie (not) helping out with medical bills as a result of this incident, which apparently has also brought to light some other disputes they were having, looks like some also involving money for other reasons.

Edited by 1032004

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I believe it was the "Sterilaser" - but why is it a terrible invention?   I would think it's probably better than pushing dirt around with a mop.

Corby is on Willie's podcast and "works" for him.   Speculation seems to be that there was a dispute over Willie (not) helping out with medical bills as a result of this incident, which apparently has also brought to light some other disputes they were having, looks like some also involving money for other reasons.

The way mat cleaning mops work is you spread around disinfectant and then allow the disinfectant to incubate on the surface long enough to kill the bacteria.  "Pushing dirt around" is meaningless-it's all about time that the surface is exposed to the bleach.  You can also kill bacteria with UV light, but the time it takes to sterilize with UV is not instantaneous. So you could disinfect a small surface with it, but to do an entire mat makes zero sense. Liquid bleach is also going to be way less expensive than the cost of replacing a high powered UV bulb. 

They claim it takes 0.25 seconds of exposure to kill bacteria-I find that highly questionable. Then factor in that high powered UV lamps are dangerous for people who aren't trained-and it's often students who clean the mats-the device seems like a solution for problem that didn't exist and a lawsuit waiting to happen. If i were a school or running a tournament, I would not want to deal with the liability from using one of these things.  

If the guy works for Willie and was injured while working for him to set up a tournament, I think Willie would cover his medical expenses.  So i'm wondering what is causing the dispute.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

20 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The way mat cleaning mops work is you spread around disinfectant and then allow the disinfectant to incubate on the surface long enough to kill the bacteria.  "Pushing dirt around" is meaningless-it's all about time that the surface is exposed to the bleach.  You can also kill bacteria with UV light, but the time it takes to sterilize with UV is not instantaneous. So you could disinfect a small surface with it, but to do an entire mat makes zero sense. Liquid bleach is also going to be way less expensive than the cost of replacing a high powered UV bulb. 

They claim it takes 0.25 seconds of exposure to kill bacteria-I find that highly questionable. Then factor in that high powered UV lamps are dangerous for people who aren't trained-and it's often students who clean the mats-the device seems like a solution for problem that didn't exist and a lawsuit waiting to happen. If i were a school or running a tournament, I would not want to deal with the liability from using one of these things.  

If the guy works for Willie and was injured while working for him to set up a tournament, I think Willie would cover his medical expenses.  So i'm wondering what is causing the dispute.  

No clue how well it works but I think it was launched like 15 years ago when there seemed to be a lot of problems with MRSA, etc.  Looks like they got a deal with Cliff Keen in 2021.

But yeah, seems the issue may be that Willie is not covering them.  But, likely that Corby wasn't an actual employee (hence me putting "works" in quotes in last post).

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

No clue how well it works but I think it was launched like 15 years ago when there seemed to be a lot of problems with MRSA, etc.  Looks like they got a deal with Cliff Keen in 2021.

But yeah, seems the issue may be that Willie is not covering them.  But, likely that Corby wasn't an actual employee (hence me putting "works" in quotes in last post).

Aren't these college tournaments usually fairly stringent about insurance?  I remember that any injuries suffered by athletes/coaches at a tournament would be covered by the university.  Presumably the people working in the arena to set it up would have some type of event insurance coverage? If not, that seems like a legal mess.  

5 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

We're in the middle of an actual legitimate legal discussion here.

@Southend, if you have something useful to contribute. Please do.

Uh , sorry, I thought I did.@greatehitenorth. No?

That wasn't even remotely close to a contribution. Not assisting in building the conversation in any way.

24 minutes ago, southend said:

Talk about Payton place ! This is a girls , dream thread. Lol. Man the DRAMA!

But looking forward to you contributing better next time!

Get after it.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

9 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That wasn't even remotely close to a contribution. Not assisting in building the conversation in any way.

But looking forward to you contributing better next time!

Get after it.

2 minutes ago, denger said:

I’ll have my lawyer contact yours.

We don’t wanna be caught flat-footed when this gets to court.

Ok sorry again! Continue on girls. I’ll be quiet. Sorry, a third time ! 

52 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Aren't these college tournaments usually fairly stringent about insurance?  I remember that any injuries suffered by athletes/coaches at a tournament would be covered by the university.  Presumably the people working in the arena to set it up would have some type of event insurance coverage? If not, that seems like a legal mess.  

Would assume so, but keep in mind this tournament was set up in like 2 days, so...

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Mineo upset Downey in the cringe semifinals yesterday.  The other leg of the semis was completed today as Corby upset Willie.  Corby and Mineo will face off in the cringe finals at a future date representing the tournaments 7 and 9 seeds respectively

Which one’s duckin? That’s what really matters.

9 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Judging by the tweets, it sounds like some idiot invented a contraption that sanitizes mats using high powered UV lamps instead of disinfectant liquid.  Obviously, that's a terrible invention for multiple reasons.  In the process of trying to repair/use one of these devices, it sounds like both Corby (whoever this is???) and Willie unfortunately suffered from burns to their eyes (which happens when exposed to UV light), and is very serious. 

I have no idea why they are feuding as a result of this-maybe somebody else can fill in the details from here.  

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/2014/01/16/mit-creates-mat-cleaner/

I'm sure this is not the exact unit, but I wouldn't call these people "idiots".  One thing I've learned from 40+ years of engineering/design is Darwin will win out.  Just when you think you've made a product foolproof, nature will come up with a bigger idiot.  I suspect this is what happened here.