MizzouGrad

Wrestling media is toxic

7 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

I admit - it was a bad look. i should have just stfu and not responded on twitter. 

You're okay, Willie.  He was a friend.  A good one at that during a time you needed it most.  I hope you guys can put it behind you and fast. 

You're human and we have emotions.  When pride gets hurt we exhibit those emotions more that we would like to.  It's okay for both sides to be wrong in this just so both can be right.

Look what you were able to accomplish even during your Flo-mandated lockdown, with him as that friend.  Y'all were a great team.  Like peanut butter and tuna.

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/2014/01/16/mit-creates-mat-cleaner/

I'm sure this is not the exact unit, but I wouldn't call these people "idiots".  One thing I've learned from 40+ years of engineering/design is Darwin will win out.  Just when you think you've made a product foolproof, nature will come up with a bigger idiot.  I suspect this is what happened here.

I could see why you would want to sterilize with UV instead of bleach in certain situations, but cleaning a wrestling mat is not one of them. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

I could see why you would want to sterilize with UV instead of bleach in certain situations, but cleaning a wrestling mat is not one of them. 

I agree the size, the fact it's a "soft surface, as you pointed out less than professional operators, etc. make it a challenge.  When confronted with naysayers in situations such as these, I always used to say, "In another 50 years do you think we'll still be doing it this way?".  I must confess that my knowledge of cleaning wrestling mats goes back dang near 50 years, so there goes that argument for me.  Maybe one of the positives to come out of Covid will be alternate methods of sanitation...  All I was saying was don't judge a product solely on a couple of knuckleheads figuring out a way to screw it up.  Someone tried to trim their hedges with a lawnmower, that's why we have those pull levers that you need a wire tie to overcome.  Lol.

6 minutes ago, jammen said:

Obviously "no one" is an exaggeration.   But a lot less people.

https://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/journalist-of-the-year/

I think I've only heard of 5 of the people on this list, Schalles because of his wrestling career and I probably wouldn't have heard of Saylor or Kania if not for Flo.

32 minutes ago, IronChef said:

How long were these two staring at the UV light?

The way the two have been acting, I envision a scenario like in that scene from ‘Grown Ups’, when they shoot the arrow straight up and see who will stay in the circle the longest. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The way the two have been acting, I envision a scenario like in that scene from ‘Grown Ups’, when they shoot the arrow straight up and see who will stay in the circle the longest. 

So Corby is the mullet hippy one who prayed to gebus and Willie is the blond moptop who got moonpied?  Your interpretation?

4 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

I agree the size, the fact it's a "soft surface, as you pointed out less than professional operators, etc. make it a challenge.  When confronted with naysayers in situations such as these, I always used to say, "In another 50 years do you think we'll still be doing it this way?".  I must confess that my knowledge of cleaning wrestling mats goes back dang near 50 years, so there goes that argument for me.  Maybe one of the positives to come out of Covid will be alternate methods of sanitation...  All I was saying was don't judge a product solely on a couple of knuckleheads figuring out a way to screw it up.  Someone tried to trim their hedges with a lawnmower, that's why we have those pull levers that you need a wire tie to overcome.  Lol.

I agree, but i just doubt the effectiveness of short exposure to UV light vs prolonged exposure to bleach (despite the company’s claims). I’ve used UV lamps to decontaminate surfaces and the run time is usually around 15 minutes (and yes, I get that these are likely high powered lamps, but I doubt a quick, seconds long exposure is enough to wipe out bacteria).  

And I don’t think the safety concerns are necessarily just due to poor usage. UV lamps can damage any exposed tissue, not just the eyes-and putting them in mop-form where high school/college students are likely to use them is just a bad idea. I imagine the costs of replacing the lamps also far exceeds the cost of diluted bleach-so I wonder wtf is the point of these things. 

Just because something like this can be built, doesn’t mean it should be. 

yes. for longer than i wanted to, honestly. the gist is - he flipped out for not checking in on him often enough when we burnt our eyes. said i'm a bad friend. on twitter he has pivoted to being upset that it took too long for me to reimburse his expenses. it's hogwash. and i'm not getting into it with him on twitter. just thankful it's over.

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i'm not getting into it with him on twitter.

Instead you choose to get into it on a National Board...........not judging, just pointing out the obvious.......

We need to define 'media"  in some ways and also know that the NWMA  has legit members and professsionals that lift our sport.   Jason Bryant  does a fantastic job as do many in that organization.  We have a few rogue individuals in our sport that don't give full highlights to our sport in a flattering manner, or choose to ignore vital parts of it.    I think the guys at Stalemates are great,  FANCO is fun to watch as well.   But when we have things like NWCA National Duals/Mat Mayhem coming up and we are only talking about hypothetical DI champs or some middle school national tournament instead of other college divisions...that's where I get put off.   But,  not everyone digs the same stuff I guess.  Just Flo is dissappointing with their commitment to "wrestling" in my opinion.   They will show non DI content,  but they won't truly cover it.