Sign in to follow this  
BerniePragle

An interesting story from 40+ years ago

Media reporting of wrestling didn't just start sucking recently.  Way back in 1980 there was a young man who won a New York State championship at 215 lbs as a junior.  Nothing was reported in the local paper.  He also was a very smart young man, perfect 800 Math SAT.  The next year, he called the local paper to report that he had lost at the state tournament.  The local paper reported that he had lost.  He actually not only won another NYS title, but also made the paper look foolish.  He then wrestled at Syracuse and was an assistant coach.  He also got his law degree from Syracuse U and is a lawyer in the Syracuse area.   Andy Schwab.

I remember when Temple's Bill Hyman won the NCAA HWT title. I am told the next day he was on the front page of the NYTimes, maybe it was "just" the front page of the sports section. Either way Damn good coverage.

A month or so later Temple dropped the sport, along with 4 pairs of both Gender sports. In their excuse, they said wrestling did not generate enough publicity(well not as much as Temple Track with Bill Cosby)  

19 minutes ago, Wrestle81 said:

UCLA,Oregon, Temple,Cal Fullerton all dropped the year after having a Champ...and nearly Stanford

Did not know of those other 3.

But nothing tops the actions of the AD of Nebraska Omaha. Calling to the coach while they were celebrating their 3rd straight total. No form of retaliation, to me, would have been unacceptable.

55 minutes ago, RichB said:

I remember when Temple's Bill Hyman won the NCAA HWT title. I am told the next day he was on the front page of the NYTimes, maybe it was "just" the front page of the sports section. Either way Damn good coverage.

A month or so later Temple dropped the sport, along with 4 pairs of both Gender sports. In their excuse, they said wrestling did not generate enough publicity(well not as much as Temple Track with Bill Cosby)  

For many years, the Times covered the finals. But that's all they did (at least usually). Now they don't even do that. But the omission might be more about the papers not covering results the way it used to even for major sports. I guess they figure that if you want to know who won a game, you probably know already by the time you get a morning paper.

11 hours ago, RichB said:

That’s a name drop….he was friends with and went to high school with my mom and uncles , still the only state champ in Saddle Brook history 

51 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That’s a name drop….he was friends with and went to high school with my mom and uncles , still the only state champ in Saddle Brook history 

Interesting.   Minnow's uncle was Hyman's HS teammate.

I got to see Hyman wrestle back in the day.  He competed with pace and motion like a 184/197 lber - perhaps not unlike Cassar in his final NCAA championship season. My impression then was that Hyman was larger than Cassar and may have been 250+ - anyone remember? 

It was sad when Temple dropped wrestling.  Temple U and West Chester U should have NCAA wrestling. 

7 hours ago, Elevator said:

I got to see Hyman wrestle back in the day.  He competed with pace and motion like a 184/197 lber - perhaps not unlike Cassar in his final NCAA championship season. My impression then was that Hyman was larger than Cassar and may have been 250+ - anyone remember? 

It was sad when Temple dropped wrestling.  Temple U and West Chester U should have NCAA wrestling. 

Pa Colleges that should have it, In Order and why. Temple(State related like Pitt and PSU- more students than Pitt-2  champs); West Chester(largest PSAC, 4th or 5th largest is in state-good tradition, punished the kids because their AD did not control their crooked coach); IUP(2nd Largest PSAC school-only one that gives PhDs{I think} - they seem to host many HS, youth wrestling events, How does a PSAC school in the WPIAL region not have a team),; Slippery Rock(Dzeidzic, WPIAL), Cal of Pa(WPIAL),; Villanova(Huge money from DuPont, then dropped the team--Yeah JohnD was already nuts, but...);Lafayette College(there Trustees seem to think HS fencing is more popular than wrestling in the Valley);Duquesne,, St Francis, Lasalle (all had teams), Robert Morris and St Joes (never had teams);Mansfield and Lincoln(had teams, no Tradition--- Mansfield is PSAC Lincoln one of the better HBUCs- They compete in all HBUC with the other teams out of stat, no reason they could not be a PSAC guest member);  Obvious some D3s more than others.

The CORRECT ANSWER, Any resident Pa College or University with over 1200 male undergrads should have the sport, any with over 6-800 should think about it..

32 minutes ago, RichB said:

Pa Colleges that should have it, In Order and why. Temple(State related like Pitt and PSU- more students than Pitt-2  champs); West Chester(largest PSAC, 4th or 5th largest is in state-good tradition, punished the kids because their AD did not control their crooked coach); IUP(2nd Largest PSAC school-only one that gives PhDs{I think} - they seem to host many HS, youth wrestling events, How does a PSAC school in the WPIAL region not have a team),; Slippery Rock(Dzeidzic, WPIAL), Cal of Pa(WPIAL),; Villanova(Huge money from DuPont, then dropped the team--Yeah JohnD was already nuts, but...);Lafayette College(there Trustees seem to think HS fencing is more popular than wrestling in the Valley);Duquesne,, St Francis, Lasalle (all had teams), Robert Morris and St Joes (never had teams);Mansfield and Lincoln(had teams, no Tradition--- Mansfield is PSAC Lincoln one of the better HBUCs- They compete in all HBUC with the other teams out of stat, no reason they could not be a PSAC guest member);  Obvious some D3s more than others.

The CORRECT ANSWER, Any resident Pa College or University with over 1200 male undergrads should have the sport, any with over 6-800 should think about it..

So why don't they? There must be a reason.

59 minutes ago, NJDan said:

So why don't they? There must be a reason.

Rampant A$$holery.

-------------

Of course the refusal of the Pa Legislature to adequately fund the 5 mentioned state owned  and 2 state related institutions

Edited by RichB

4 minutes ago, RichB said:

Rampant A$$holery.

Also known as Title 9.  Now, if some of those wrestlers would kindly declare themselves to be feeling their feminine sides then all of those schools could man up teams and wrestle.  They would not even have to find 10 6' blonde coeds who've never rowed to staff up an offsetting rowing team.  

2 hours ago, RichB said:

Of course the refusal of the Pa Legislature to adequately fund the 5 mentioned state owned  and 2 state related institutions

state funding has indeed been on the decline during this period 

28 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Administratively not athletically.

Ok.  I didn't remember the details.  Still "cost cutting".  Yet, there always seems to be lots of $ to pee away on some things.

A lot of those PSAC schools used to have very good wrestling programs "back in the day".

On 1/2/2022 at 7:00 PM, Wrestle81 said:

UCLA,Oregon, Temple,Cal Fullerton all dropped the year after having a Champ...and nearly Stanford

Who from Fullerton won an NCAA title? I know they had a couple of high AAs and a finalist, some guy from Bulgaria I think. Or did they get dropped as a D2 team and later brought back?

10 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

True.  I believe a few of the Pa state schools have been or are going to be "combined".

I thnk this has begun and is in response to declining enrollment.  Might be - in part - the growth of Penn State commonwealth campuses and World Campus (on-line) tends to canibalize enrollment as some remote PSAC schools.    Have not studied it, just seems like a factor from casual observation.  Overall, collegiate enrollment is declining and schools may close.  Should also put downard pressure on the price for students, which is needed.