Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Are "old" wrestlers breaking down?

Recommended Posts

Thinking about Spencer Lee and the rumors about Kemerer has made we wonder whether it's actually a bad thing for wrestlers to be allowed to wrestle well into their mid and late 20s, assuming they started college at the traditional age and didn't serve in the military or go on a religious mission.

We have a number of super-super-seniors who are pushing 30 years old and still are college students.  Wrestling is obviously a very physically demanding sport and I wonder whether we are now seeing some of these "grandpa seniors" feeling the toll of 6-8 years of college wrestling?

Putting aside international aspirations like the Olympics, I hate to think that some of these guys will be using canes and knee braces for their rest of their lives once they graduate from college.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time ago (> 20 years), wrestlers took more time off from the daily grind in the off-season.  They may have run/lifted to maintain fitness and done some light sparring, but from what I observed did not train and compete as much as many seem to do today.   What works for some may not work as well for others.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World-class wrestlers seem to do just fine with a small number of tournaments.  So I’m not sure why the college season has to be so long and drawn out.  Seems like it takes an unnecessary physical toll on these students, as well as an unnecessary time commitment.  (These students should be thinking about their future careers anyway.)

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Wrestling, should ban people older than 22. Just like the other sports do. Your growth hormone capitulates exponentially after 22 and clueless wrestlers aren't keeping tack, getting injured all wrong. It is completely unhealthy. Just ask V shred. 

They should get real jobs anyway by then, real jobs that don't jeopardize health like wrestling. 

 

Get them in trucking, welding, and cobbling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Katie said:

World-class wrestlers seem to do just fine with a small number of tournaments.  So I’m not sure why the college season has to be so long and drawn out.  Seems like it takes an unnecessary physical toll on these students, as well as an unnecessary time commitment.  (These students should be thinking about their future careers anyway.)

But in those other countries (especially former soviet related ones) they train year round. And they have a more complete training situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Thinking about Spencer Lee and the rumors about Kemerer has made we wonder whether it's actually a bad thing for wrestlers to be allowed to wrestle well into their mid and late 20s, assuming they started college at the traditional age and didn't serve in the military or go on a religious mission.

We have a number of super-super-seniors who are pushing 30 years old and still are college students.  Wrestling is obviously a very physically demanding sport and I wonder whether we are now seeing some of these "grandpa seniors" feeling the toll of 6-8 years of college wrestling?

Putting aside international aspirations like the Olympics, I hate to think that some of these guys will be using canes and knee braces for their rest of their lives once they graduate from college.

Lee is not old and his injury problems started in high school. It's likely that some of the older guys stayed in college  longer due to injuries. It may be the case that older wrestlers break down, but your single example hardly proves the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

But in those other countries (especially former soviet related ones) they train year round. And they have a more complete training situation.

There’s no reason that fewer competitions would have to mean less training. In fact it could simply mean smarter training.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all of Iowa's super seniors announced coming back again this year I made the comment to my friend that I couldn't imagine being ~25 years old and doing a daily D1 grind still. Physically that has got to be taking a big toll on these guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Katie said:

There’s no reason that fewer competitions would have to mean less training. In fact it could simply mean smarter training.  

The point was they live in those training situations and incorporate education with it and in many cases were selected for their sports based on physical parameters. As of now, our society wouldn't allow for that. There are a small number of one sport schools out there which are generally rejected for accreditation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

The point was they live in those training situations and incorporate education with it and in many cases were selected for their sports based on physical parameters. As of now, our society wouldn't allow for that. There are a small number of one sport schools out there which are generally rejected for accreditation.

I don’t think it would be a problem at all to shorten the D1 season.  As it is, plenty of guys do just fine with limited matches.  

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Thinking about Spencer Lee and the rumors about Kemerer has made we wonder whether it's actually a bad thing for wrestlers to be allowed to wrestle well into their mid and late 20s, assuming they started college at the traditional age and didn't serve in the military or go on a religious mission.

We have a number of super-super-seniors who are pushing 30 years old and still are college students.  Wrestling is obviously a very physically demanding sport and I wonder whether we are now seeing some of these "grandpa seniors" feeling the toll of 6-8 years of college wrestling?

Putting aside international aspirations like the Olympics, I hate to think that some of these guys will be using canes and knee braces for their rest of their lives once they graduate from college.

I'm meant to be writing at this moment. What I mean is, I'm meant to be writing something else at this moment. The document I'm meant to be writing is, of course, open in another program on my computer and is patiently awaiting my attention. Yet here I am plonking down senseless sentiments in this paragraph because it's easier to do than to work on anything particularly meaningful. I am grateful for the distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GockeS said:

NFL added a game this season

MLB added games 40 years ago

NBA is at 82

NCAA went to a 12 game football season

NCAA bball plays 30 or so

hmmm

I don't find these to be compelling examples of what I presume your argument to be.

The NFL was only able to add a 17th game after overcoming player safety objections by giving them more money (48.5% up from 47% of revenues, and only if they could hit a revenue increase threshold thereby giving the players two bumps).

Baseball only expanded their schedule because 2 teams were added and the extra 8 games were needed to keep balanced schedules.

The NBA is plagued with "load management" complaints on a constant basis. Load management is a tacit admission that 82 games is too much.

But the NCAA prioritizing money over player safety when players have no bargaining power, are really your weakest examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I don't find these to be compelling examples of what I presume your argument to be.

The NFL was only able to add a 17th game after overcoming player safety objections by giving them more money (48.5% up from 47% of revenues, and only if they could hit a revenue increase threshold thereby giving the players two bumps).

Baseball only expanded their schedule because 2 teams were added and the extra 8 games were needed to keep balanced schedules.

The NBA is plagued with "load management" complaints on a constant basis. Load management is a tacit admission that 82 games is too much.

But the NCAA prioritizing money over player safety when players have no bargaining power, are really your weakest examples.

The other thing I would add is how much do those teams actually practice during the season, and what do those practices look like?  Not even comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

We should tell college wrestlers that if they hang on too long they will almost certainly end up riding a mobility scooter at some point (probably sooner than later), as seen being utilized by this old Hawkeye. 

 

Bwahahahahaha...

How long have you been holding onto this gem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over specialization young and stupid training practices vastly increase likelihood of injury. And further physical issues and directly causes early burnout.. physically and mentally. 
 

This isn’t controversial and learning about it is a basic part of the most basic accreditation for USA wrestling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...