ChicagoHawk

Gable Steveson

As a hawk fan I’ve really never liked gable.   

With that said......  

Wow is he good.  How often does the top hwy destroy the #3 ish hwy multiple matches in a row.   Truly generational.    He made it look easy.    How many times did Kyle Snyder (generational talent) destroy top 3/4/5 talent over and over and over.... anyone have stats on bonus % between gable and Kyle?   Just curious as they are probably the best two upper weight competitors in a long time.... maybe Jayden cox or Taylor are part of that but I think Taylor and dake are slightly to light for “upper weight status”  

I know he won the Olympics.  This is more about his whole career.  He was untouchable prior to the olympics.  

Fair.  I really wasn’t picking on Snyder.  Any other real comparison?   That can take down top x hwy wrestlers like they are tech falling opponents at like 125 lbs.   gable reminds me Of a hwy takedown machine at 125.  

seriously.  I was not bagging on Snyder.  He was total domination his whole career both in college and internationally.   

1 minute ago, ChicagoHawk said:

Fair.  I really wasn’t picking on Snyder.  Any other real comparison?   That can take down top x hwy wrestlers like they are tech falling opponents at like 125 lbs.   gable reminds me Of a hwy takedown machine at 125.  

seriously.  I was not bagging on Snyder.  He was total domination his whole career both in college and internationally.   

I hear ya.

I too am amazed by how easy Steveson makes this look. I can offer no comp. After one of the takedowns when he cut Cassioppi and casually backed into the center I was reminded of Matt Damon in "Good Will Hunting" yelling at the douche mathematician, "do you have any idea how easy this is for me?"

3 minutes ago, Class said:

The best ever, simple as that and not recency bias.

Look forward to the topics 8-10 years into the future, when they ask if the current Heavyweight Champ could have beat Steveson….It should be a instant no.

I honestly believe it will be 20+ years til we see another heavyweight as talented and technically sound as Gable.

it's insane that steveson will go down as one of the best in history and the only -  very talented! - guy who beat him is going to be a footnote because he couldn't stay healthy 

10 hours ago, ChicagoHawk said:

He wrestled his college weight class.

Edited by boconnell

8 hours ago, Rk_Kerk said:

Look forward to the topics 8-10 years into the future, when they ask if the current Heavyweight Champ could have beat Steveson….It should be a instant no.

I honestly believe it will be 20+ years til we see another heavyweight as talented and technically sound as Gable.

In a few years, "they" may be saying "can Feldman beat Gable?"  

Especially if he wins NCAA's or has any freestyle aspirations and success.  Granted, still a HS Senior, but looking awfully good and similar in athleticism (but smaller I think).  Will be interesting to see for sure.  

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

it's insane that steveson will go down as one of the best in history and the only -  very talented! - guy who beat him is going to be a footnote because he couldn't stay healthy 

He was also like 5 years older than Gable. Cassar wouldn't touch Gable now that he's fully grown and physically mature.

56 minutes ago, Katie said:

Stephen Neal

Thats one I was thinking maybe although the way The Gable handled Gwiz I'm not sure.

Perhaps it would need to be someone like Jimmy Jackson (unlimited era) at some point the guy is big enough to be an unmoveable object even for a 275lb guy.

1 hour ago, BTC said:

He was also like 5 years older than Gable. Cassar wouldn't touch Gable now that he's fully grown and physically mature.

Probably? Likely? Almost certainly?

But Cassar will also almost certainly go to his grave being the only person in the world able to say "You know that guy who won the gold? Yeah, I beat him. Twice."

Tony Cassioppi clearly worked very hard this past off season and came back stronger, leaner and faster. Gable still increased the gap between them.
I put him right there with Ali and Lawrence Taylor who’s skills and talents allow them to dominate their sport.

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Thats one I was thinking maybe although the way The Gable handled Gwiz I'm not sure.

Perhaps it would need to be someone like Jimmy Jackson (unlimited era) at some point the guy is big enough to be an unmoveable object even for a 275lb guy.

Neal was better than Gwiz, IMO (all respect to Gwiz, who is a beast).

Immediately after his senior year, Neal was a world champ, and won FILA’s outstanding wrestler award as the best freestyle wrestler in the world.  

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, Katie said:

Neal was better than Gwiz, IMO (all respect to Gwiz, who is a beast).

Immediately after his senior year, Neal was a world champ, and won FILA’s outstanding wrestler award as the best wrestler in the world.  

Yes, I agree.

Mental maturity also played a large part. He grew from a cocky kid to a hardworking, focused and disciplined “professional”. Professional in the sense that he committed to his craft in a business-like fashion.

6 minutes ago, powershouse said:

Mental maturity also played a large part. He grew from a cocky kid to a hardworking, focused and disciplined “professional”. Professional in the sense that he committed to his craft in a business-like fashion.

Exactly. You don’t win an international medal on talent alone. 

1 hour ago, manatree said:

Exactly. You don’t win an international medal on talent alone. 

For comparison look at what John Smith did (individual match scores) his last two years college after international competition.  That's kindve where Gable is now.

Edited by ionel

Gable is just on another level, plain and simple. I wish that he would continue to wrestle internationally for us, and I if he did, I am confident that he would end up having a career like Jordan Burroughs or John Smith. But it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

In a few years, "they" may be saying "can Feldman beat Gable?"  

Especially if he wins NCAA's or has any freestyle aspirations and success.  Granted, still a HS Senior, but looking awfully good and similar in athleticism (but smaller I think).  Will be interesting to see for sure.  

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm most impressed by his incredible quickness for a big kid.  I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone that big, that quick.  I do have to admit that I've not seen a lot of his matches and none live.  I guess, like you said, we'll see.