VakAttack

Cornell-Lehigh

Lehigh is wrestling their butts off! Looks like Yianni will need a tech to tie, pin to win. Jarrett Lane wrestled Vito tough in yet another testament to how good even a no-ACL Spencer Lee is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cornell is wrestling too defensively. Ramirez-Foca-Loew - a stretch that should usually be 9 for Cornell - the Big Red hardly took a shot and Lehigh made them pay. Lehigh was more active, more aggressive, more fearless and rode strong to press the advantage. Ramirez won anyway but it was close. Foca and Loew paid for their timidity. Maybe we'll hear that Cornell wasn't in top shape (COVID knocked the hockey team on their asses) but it doesn't matter to the result. 

Big props to Humphrey and Wood who both looked great and to LaJoie and Hines who put on the best match of the dual. 

14 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Cornell is wrestling too defensively. Ramirez-Foca-Loew - a stretch that should usually be 9 for Cornell - the Big Red hardly took a shot and Lehigh made them pay. Lehigh was more active, more aggressive, more fearless and rode strong to press the advantage. Ramirez won anyway but it was close. Foca and Loew paid for their timidity. Maybe we'll hear that Cornell wasn't in top shape (COVID knocked the hockey team on their asses) but it doesn't matter to the result. 

Big props to Humphrey and Wood who both looked great and to LaJoie and Hines who put on the best match of the dual. 

Does make one wonder why these starters weren't at the Southern Scuffle last week...

I was hoping that LEHIGH would bring their "A" game this afternoon... wrestle like they did when the PITT Panthers came in to Grace Hall for that dual.

The did AND then some.

The Big Red will show up @ the EIWA's and the NCAA's. They have more top end points to be sure.

But today, LEHIGH SHINED like the SUN!

D3

17 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Ironically they look kind of like Lehighs great team of like 15 years ago. They were supposed to win NCAAs (ciasulli, letters, trenge, cooperman, frisk...)but by the time they got to the tournament they didn't have anything but counters...

50 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Doing a bunch of family BS all day and might not get to watch the matches until tomorrow. How did the Vito-Lane match go? Surprised it was that close.

Vito was miles ahead on their feet but Lane rode hard the entire second period never really got close to a turn but Vito didn't really get that close to standing up. 

2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Santoro is one of the few college coaches I've only heard good things about. Best reputation of any D1 coach I'm aware of. 

Now that you say that. Yeah he really is up there. Maybe only Heffernan had as good as a reputation as a person, before retiring 

Vito looked sucked out. I know, everyone says he handles the cut well, but it sure didn't look like it today. Getting ridden out like that in the second was brutal. Glory is up a point already and the match hasn't even begun. I say this as a big fan of Vito. I think he's Cornell's best technical wrestler and the best they've had in a while. 

10 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Vito looked sucked out. I know, everyone says he handles the cut well, but it sure didn't look like it today. Getting ridden out like that in the second was brutal. Glory is up a point already and the match hasn't even begun. I say this as a big fan of Vito. I think he's Cornell's best technical wrestler and the best they've had in a while. 

I think you are reading a little too much into it. He didn't look great, and giving up a two minute ride is never something to glance over, but he had 2 third period takedown, didn't give up any, spent most of the period on top, and he was wrestling #11, not exactly a household name but as fans I think we tend to treat guys we don't know very well like they are just random dudes off the street.

Most of the team looked flat for some reason(my bet is that they trained through it), but if this is Vito's version of an ugly match I think he'll be fine.  

Edited by hammerlockthree

10 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think you are reading a little too much into it. He didn't look great, and giving up a two minute ride is never something to glance over, but he had 2 third period takedown, didn't give up any, spent most of the period on top, and he was wrestling #11, not exactly a household name but as fans I think we tend to treat guys we don't know very well like they are just random dudes off the street.

Most of the team looked flat for some reason(my bet is that they trained through it), but if this is Vito's version of an ugly match I think he'll be fine.  

Lane finished 5, 2, 1, 1 in 4 years in PIAA AA.  You're right, not just some tomato can.

57 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Glory doesn't have an easy cut and had close matches at Cliff Keen off the scale. I assume whatever weight issues they have will cancel one another out.  

3 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Ironically they look kind of like Lehighs great team of like 15 years ago. They were supposed to win NCAAs (ciasulli, letters, trenge, cooperman, frisk...)but by the time they got to the tournament they didn't have anything but counters...

forgot to include zinck; i also believe you meant "frick"

51 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Glory doesn't have an easy cut and had close matches at Cliff Keen off the scale. I assume whatever weight issues they have will cancel one another out.  

I meant on the mat given the second period of the match. They both cut. Glory might cut more, just a guess. 

All the posts about his opponent not being a fish are duly noted and spot on. I wasn’t trying to put the kid down. The dual started at 157. Vito had an extra hour and a half or so of recovery. Maybe it was just me, but he looked more sluggish than I’m used to seeing him.