VakAttack

Cornell-Lehigh

33 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I meant on the mat given the second period of the match. They both cut. Glory might cut more, just a guess. 

All the posts about his opponent not being a fish are duly noted and spot on. I wasn’t trying to put the kid down. The dual started at 157. Vito had an extra hour and a half or so of recovery. Maybe it was just me, but he looked more sluggish than I’m used to seeing him.

Just watched it. He does look a little sluggish, even if he did get 2 takedowns in the third. 

Maybe the simplest explanation is the truth: he had been sick recently and was a little under the weather.

Illness would certainly help explain Iowa's dumpster fire of a performance last night 

Got to tip the hat to Lehigh program who got the upset wins they needed.  Looks like several of their guys are getting better and may be on the rise for post-season success.  Cornell probably still the clear favorite for EIWA tourney, if it goes.

2 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Cornell probably still the clear favorite for EIWA tourney, if it goes.

Of course. More top end scorers for sure. Up and down season for Lehigh. Loss to Campbell, Hammered PITT, seven pt loss to PSU, beats Cornell.

**** Lehigh looked really good: took the action to Cornell and fought hard all night.  Beating ranked guys at 174 (Logan) and 184 (Burlhardt) was great.  I think they are really a year away as they only lose Jordan Wood next year and have Nathan Taylor (6'4" and 275) waiting in the wings at 285 and Gaige Garcia coming in at 197. I think Cornell is definitely the favorite for the EIWAs but Lehigh will make some noise.  Humphreys although not ranked top 10 is definitely an AA threat as is Wood and some others could surprise.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, Elevator said:

Got to tip the hat to Lehigh program who got the upset wins they needed.  Looks like several of their guys are getting better and may be on the rise for post-season success.  Cornell probably still the clear favorite for EIWA tourney, if it goes.

I do not think that Cornell is that much of a favorite at EIWAs - they are heavily favored to finish well ahead of Lehigh at Nationals where Cornell's big guns are likely to score a lot of points. Their impact at EIWAs will be much less dramatic.  However at EIWAs  Lehigh has a good shot at placing all 10 weights - Cornell may struggle to place at 141 and in the conferences deepest weight 157.  If that happens the odds will shift to favor LU.  We will see how it goes but prior to yesterday I would have given Lehigh a better chance of knocking off Cornell in the Conference race than in the dual meet.  

Agree with lu1979. Cornell is definite favorite but not prohibitive favorite. Balance is key. LU may struggle to place at 197.

But let's not give Cornell any bulletin board material. They're already feasting on Mike Gray's "schlubby" attire (a 3X t-shirt worn at the Mecca of eastern wrestling).  rolls eyes

3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Lehigh has a good shot at placing all 10 weights - Cornell may struggle to place at 141 and in the conferences deepest weight 157. 

OK, I'll bite.  I'd say it's a long shot Lehigh places at 197, and I'm not sold yet on 184, either.  Cornell on the other hand looks weakest at 133 and 141, but I do think they'll place 4-6 range at 157- both Hunter and Colten are pretty solid, I think it'll end up being Hunter, once he works off the rust.  The real key is who gets the most high finishers, and I think Cornell will have the edge there - both Lehigh and Cornell with two likely champs, IMO, but I think Cornell has more possible finalists after that.  And I'd give Cornell the edge on bonus wins as well.

Then again, I figured on Cornell taking 6 of 10 bouts this past weekend, so what do I know? 

14 hours ago, red blades said:

OK, I'll bite.  I'd say it's a long shot Lehigh places at 197, and I'm not sold yet on 184, either.  Cornell on the other hand looks weakest at 133 and 141, but I do think they'll place 4-6 range at 157- both Hunter and Colten are pretty solid, I think it'll end up being Hunter, once he works off the rust.  The real key is who gets the most high finishers, and I think Cornell will have the edge there - both Lehigh and Cornell with two likely champs, IMO, but I think Cornell has more possible finalists after that.  And I'd give Cornell the edge on bonus wins as well.

Then again, I figured on Cornell taking 6 of 10 bouts this past weekend, so what do I know? 

Interesting analysis - how strong is Navy and who will be 3rd?

Purely speculation but I would guess Lehigh, Princeton and Penn will battle for 2.3.4.  Lehigh probably most likely for 2nd but will be most interesting EIWA's in a while, especially if a few Cornell guys get upset early.

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

Interesting analysis - how strong is Navy and who will be 3rd?

The short answer is - I've got no idea!!

Just going off a perusal of the rankings, I tend to believe it will be between Cornell and Lehigh for 1-2 - but Princeton, Penn, Harvard, Binghamton, Army, and Navy all have a few guys who can make deep runs.  Cornell wrestles both Army and Navy this season - kind of a new wrinkle in their schedule - and in fact, Army is next.  We'll have a better idea down the road, I think, just how good the service academies are, but one thing for certain - they always wrestle tough.

One thing (actually one of many) I miss with the passing of the old WR Forum - there were always a few regulars from various EIWA teams who would post there, so you could pick up a little news as to who was making some noise in the rest of the conference.  I suppose there are other sources now (e.g., EIWA Newsletter - thanks JDA!) but it hasn't quite been the same...

15 minutes ago, red blades said:

The short answer is - I've got no idea!!

Just going off a perusal of the rankings, I tend to believe it will be between Cornell and Lehigh for 1-2 - but Princeton, Penn, Harvard, Binghamton, Army, and Navy all have a few guys who can make deep runs.  Cornell wrestles both Army and Navy this season - kind of a new wrinkle in their schedule - and in fact, Army is next.  We'll have a better idea down the road, I think, just how good the service academies are, but one thing for certain - they always wrestle tough.

One thing (actually one of many) I miss with the passing of the old WR Forum - there were always a few regulars from various EIWA teams who would post there, so you could pick up a little news as to who was making some noise in the rest of the conference.  I suppose there are other sources now (e.g., EIWA Newsletter - thanks JDA!) but it hasn't quite been the same...

Interesting commentary - Navy is sneaky and I wonder how good they will be this year.  Agree that matches w Cornell will tell quite a bit.

23 hours ago, red blades said:

I agree on 197 for LU - I forgot about that when posting earlier - LU's 184 just beat the favorite at that weight - I think Burkhart is coming on strong and I like him to be in the top 4 at EIWAs.

Cornell's guys at 157 are pretty tough but that is a very deep weight - I think Humphreys and Monday are likely finalists - after that the next 4 spots will be a dogfight.  The thing about EIWAs that make LU much more competitive with Cornell is that guys like McGonagle and Hines who are not really high nationally have a real shot at being EIWA Champs and getting just about as many points as Yianni & Vito (not counting bonus pts) - With Vito & PG both at 125 you have 2 guys who would be heavy favorites to win at 133 but instead will battle each other for the 125 title.  Of course there is a lot of talent spread out amongst the rest of the teams that can knock off LU or Cornell guys and change things fast.  I expect an interesting and fluid team race.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, red blades said:

One thing (actually one of many) I miss with the passing of the old WR Forum - there were always a few regulars from various EIWA teams who would post there, so you could pick up a little news as to who was making some noise in the rest of the conference.

I also miss the WR forum.  Went there often to get info/news on the EIWA teams/wrestlers as it’s tough to get that info elsewhere (still).