Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Best post weigh-in meal?

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I always ate a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich as a form of ritual but I doubt that science would back that up as wise choice 

Actually a good choice (along with a banana) according to this trainer: https://oldschoolgym.com/blogs/news/what-should-wrestlers-eat-after-weigh-ins

2 hours ago, olddirty said:

On a 1 hour weigh in, anything over a few ounces is a bad idea

My HS wrestler isn't really cutting (1-2 lbs). He hardly eats after weigh-ins though - says he's not hungry and it makes him feel sick. Sounds like he may agree with you.

I'm concerned he doesn't have full energy on days when he has 2-3 matches. Should I encourage him to pick at random fruit throughout the morning? Or stick with liquid calories if he doesn't have an appetite?

The team I’m most familiar with has Subway sandwiches and a variety of fruits to choose from. I know during tournaments they tend to fuel up after matches with peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Not sure what’s on the Subs. 

3 hours ago, olddirty said:

On a 1 hour weigh in, anything over a few ounces is a bad idea

I know you are right, but the science does not jibe with my own experience. A hard cut made me "lean and mean." It seemed to sharpen my focus, maybe? My grouchiness was just another aspect of my goal-driven selfishness.

Total bs, but that's how I felt. 

The after weigh-in fueling ritual was just an extension of the same.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

My HS wrestler isn't really cutting (1-2 lbs). He hardly eats after weigh-ins though - says he's not hungry and it makes him feel sick. Sounds like he may agree with you.

I'm concerned he doesn't have full energy on days when he has 2-3 matches. Should I encourage him to pick at random fruit throughout the morning? Or stick with liquid calories if he doesn't have an appetite?

This is exactly how I felt.  I would eat the sandwich due to constant pressure from coach and parents to refuel.  But when my adrenaline is pumping, my appetite shuts down completely.  Maybe your son is similarly wired.  

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

This is exactly how I felt.  I would eat the sandwich due to constant pressure from coach and parents to refuel.  But when my adrenaline is pumping, my appetite shuts down completely.  Maybe your son is similarly wired.  

If there's one thing I need to do as a parent, it's shut up more.