Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Best post weigh-in meal?

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Tastes even better after sitting in a warm high school locker for 2 hrs.

I don't know about taste, but I'll bet it would have been the best smelling thing in my HS locker room even after 2 days.  Even after 50+ years, nostalgia hasn't helped the smell(s).

When I was in there, eating was the last thing on my mind.

My team's Saturday morning ritual was biscuits w/country style sausage gravy, hash browns smothered and covered, sunny side eggs, orange juice and chocolate milk.    At the tournament, my dad was sure to give me Snickers candy bar to pick up my energy between matches.

I remember the first time I saw another wrestler break out his bare chicken and vegies in carefully measured quantities at a meet.  What in the world?  There is strategy to this?  You telling me I can't gain my strength back with 10lbs of food and snickers?  Was it the five day fast or the one day scarf that made me feel so barf?

Reminds me of a story (haven't thought about this in 50 years)...
When I was a Jr in HS, I had a girlfriend that went to the other HS in town.  We had a match at her HS and of course we were in the girls locker room.  She told me what her locker number was and what the combination was and said she would leave some Reeses Cups in there.  After we weighed in, I went over by her locker, started sniffing and said "I smell Reeses Cups".  Then I fiddled with the combination lock like I was figuring it out.  A couple of my teammates came over and were amazed when I opened this "random" locker and Bingo, there was a whole bag of Reeses Cups in there.  I ate a couple and gave the rest away.  In the match, I wrestled her brother, who was a senior and a defending sectional champ, and a pompous ass.  I'm sure everyone was suprised when I beat him in OT (I know I was).  I came off the mat and everyone was slapping me and my coach gave me the bear hug and lift.  I just said, "Must've been the Reeses Cups".  The next time I went to her house for supper, it was pretty awkward.  I'm sure it was awkward for her at the match.
So, I'm gonna say Reeses Cups is the best post weigh in meal.

Edited by BerniePragle

6 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

When I was a Jr in HS, I had a girlfriend that went to the other HS in town.  We had a match at her HS and of course we were in the girls locker room.  She told me what her locker number was and what the combination was and said she would leave some Reeses Cups in there.  After we weighed in, I went over by her locker, started sniffing and said "I smell Reeses Cups".  Then I fiddled with the combination lock like I was figuring it out.  A couple of my teammates came over and were amazed when I opened this "random" locker and Bingo, there was a whole bag of Reeses Cups in there.  I ate a couple and gave the rest away.  In the match, I wrestled her brother, who was a senior and a defending sectional champ, and a pompous ass.  I'm sure everyone was suprised when I beat him in OT (I know I was).  I came off the mat and everyone was slapping me and my coach gave me the bear hug and lift.  I just said, "Must've been the Reeses Cups".  The next time I went to her house for supper, it was pretty awkward.  I'm sure it was awkward for her at the match.

is this the same girl that took down headshuck?  

If so ... "must've been the Reeses Cups!"

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

Awesome story and Interesting that peanutbutter seems to be a common theme.  From the article posted earlier I guess its a protein source that is not as difficult to digest as meat, eggs, or dairy. Makes me wonder if there are other more optimal sources than peanuts like pumpkin seeds or almonds.  Within the food group of nuts, seeds, and legumes, peanuts are not typically associated with high nutritional value but the field of nutrition seems to be one that is constantly changing its opinions about things.  Remember the dreaded food pyramid from the 90s lol

About 15 years ago I was helping coach a local little league team and was telling the kids what to eat after weigh ins so they felt good during their matches. One of them asked if he could get loaded nachos and I told him absolutely not. We get to his first match and he made it about 2 minutes in and threw up all over the center of the mat. It was gross. Upon walking over to him I saw that he opted instead for a chili cheese dog that he loaded up with about 6 or 7 whole jalapeños. When I started laughing and ribbing him for it he told me I said no loaded nachos but nothing about no loaded chili cheese dogs. I made him clean up the mat while the trainer and I made fun of him together. Fun times.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, Fletcher said:

My HS wrestler isn't really cutting (1-2 lbs). He hardly eats after weigh-ins though - says he's not hungry and it makes him feel sick. Sounds like he may agree with you.

I'm concerned he doesn't have full energy on days when he has 2-3 matches. Should I encourage him to pick at random fruit throughout the morning? Or stick with liquid calories if he doesn't have an appetite?

From a biological standpoint, how fast do you think his stomach enzymes can convert food to usable energy?  In a full day tournament situation, A teenage boy can convert food to energy.  2 hours?  No.  Satiation is one thing.  Thats very important IMO from a mental standpoint.  From a bioavailability standpoint its not possible really.  No one converts a sandwich into usable energy in an hour outside of straight glucose; in which liquids are much quicker anyway.  Again - the feel good factor of eating something you want after weigh ins is a huge deal.  Eating more than a few ounces - less than a pound, is way more ideal.  Heavies at the end of a dual with a halftime is a different beast

11 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

If you're in the midwest the optimum post-weigh in meal is a walking taco. Then another during the lunch break.

I have a life rule that whenever someone mentions a taco, I have to go out and get one. Now I have to find a taco. Bastard.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:48 PM, uncle bernard said:

when he was a freshman spencer lee answered this question with “calimari” which is an all time weird answer lol

I think he was showing the Lee funny bone.