28 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Naturally immunity isn't stupid - that's not what I said. 

This idea that having a past case of Covid is the same as being fully vaccinated is what I was referring to. The NCAA would be over-the-top stupid to adopt that position.

That being said, Lurker did use the disclaimer "don't know if true'. So, the good news is that we don't know that the NCAA actually subscribes to that idea. Hopefully just a rumor.

Do you know of any scientific/medical evidence that show someone got and spread covidbtwice in 90 days?  It seems to be good enough for Australia and the Open so why not NCAA?

We know that fully vaccinated folks are getting it and spreading it, thats a fact. 

Edited by ionel

38 minutes ago, ionel said:

Do you know of any scientific/medical evidence that show someone got and spread covidbtwice in 90 days?  It seems to be good enough for Australia and the Open so why not NCAA?

We know that fully vaccinated folks are getting it and spreading it, thats a fact. 

No, I leave most of the scientific/medical evidence to the professionals. I don't attempt to interpret the details of medical data myself when much more credentialed people are already doing it for me.

As far as requirements go, we've got places & events that don't require masks or vaccines or anything at all. We've also got places & events that have strict requirements. And everything in between. That has been the case from the beginning, and I don't see that changing. We could compare these places/events, but I don't believe that would be especially useful.

I agree, fully vaccinated people are getting it and spreading it. They are also not getting hit nearly as hard by it (in hospitalizations and deaths) as the unvaccinated. These are facts.

My point is simple. Having a past case of Covid is not the same as being fully vaccinated. It is also not the same as having had a past case of Covid and also being fully vaccinated. If the NCAA were to somehow equate these things as all being the same - I think it would be incredibly stupid.

Not that it matters, but how my point somehow got twisted into "natural immunity is stupid" is anybody's guess.

8 hours ago, ionel said:

Omicron is infecting pretty much everyone including those infected (or vaccinated/boosted) in the past 90 days.

So if getting the jab is so much more effective than natural immunity in the first 90 days then why do people need a booster?  Then why is it still being spread?  Why are hospitals running out of beds again...or is it a staff shortage?  Why is it stupid if an organization recognizes natural immunity, just as the medical field does?  Would we still not have a surge right now if 100% of people were vaccinated and boosted?  Maybe we all need another booster?  Still wondering why everyone in IA, MT, UT, FL, etc. aren't all in the hospital or dead yet??

I sure hope the NCAA uses some common sense and implements policies that actually takes into consideration natural immunity...because up until Covid, and subsequently people loosing their freaking minds, that was the go to standard.

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

Vacines and boosters - which have been around and successful for a long time - I believe protect through the natural immune system.  Its not choosing one over the other.  Fake news. 

Vaccines are good, we agree on this statement. Now, would you take a Covid vaccine every week? Every month? Why wouldn't you, if indeed you would not? What could possibly go wrong?

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

So if getting the jab is so much more effective than natural immunity in the first 90 days then why do people need a booster?  Then why is it still being spread?  Why are hospitals running out of beds again...or is it a staff shortage?  Why is it stupid if an organization recognizes natural immunity, just as the medical field does?  Would we still not have a surge right now if 100% of people were vaccinated and boosted?  Maybe we all need another booster?  Still wondering why everyone in IA, MT, UT, FL, etc. aren't all in the hospital or dead yet??

I sure hope the NCAA uses some common sense and implements policies that actually takes into consideration natural immunity...because up until Covid, and subsequently people loosing their freaking minds, that was the go to standard.

Bill Gates just did a talk yesterday and gave the vaccines two weaknesses. The current Covid vaccines have endurance that is weak i.e. they are not long lasting. Two, they don't stop transmission.

I think we will all likely at some point contract some variant of this virus. It is getting more transmissible all the time. Maybe not, but it seems to make sense to me.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Bill Gates just did a talk yesterday and gave the vaccines two weaknesses. The current Covid vaccines have endurance that is weak i.e. they are not long lasting. Two, they don't stop transmission.

I think we will all likely at some point contract some variant of this virus. It is getting more transmissible all the time. Maybe not, but it seems to make sense to me.

More transmissible and less severe. My school doesn’t even do tracing anymore. If you’re positive, stay home for five days as long as no symptoms. If you’re a contact, keep coming as long as you don’t have symptoms. It’s flying all over the place where I’m at, but we’re not getting the really really sick people at the level we had last year. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

More transmissible and less severe. My school doesn’t even do tracing anymore. If you’re positive, stay home for five days as long as no symptoms. If you’re a contact, keep coming as long as you don’t have symptoms. It’s flying all over the place where I’m at, but we’re not getting the really really sick people at the level we had last year

Same with us here in CBUS. 

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Omicron is infecting pretty much everyone including those infected (or vaccinated/boosted) in the past 90 days.

Kaiser just released notes of a study on Omicron in their CA hospitals. Some snippets:

The study involved more than 52,000 omicron patients and almost 17,000 delta patients within the Kaiser Permanente Southern California health care system between Nov. 30 and Jan. 1, when both variants were spreading. 

Researchers found a 53 percent reduced risk for hospitalization and a 74 percent reduced risk for intensive care unit admission among omicron patients. No omicron patients needed to go on a ventilator, compared to 11 delta patients. One person infected with omicron died, while the system recorded 14 fatalities among patients with delta.  The median length of hospital stay among omicron patients was also almost 3.5 days shorter than those infected with delta.  

I can't independently verify this, but Dr. Marty Makary whom I trust said that the one death in 52,000 was either on par with or even better than the flu. Can't recall his exact wording. Europe is moving from their previous pandemic model to an endemic model. Its here and its not going anywhere so we are going to learn to live with it.

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Same with us here in CBUS. 

This is anecdotal, but at one of the largest hospitals I know of half the people in there that have Covid are not in for Covid, and many didn't know they even had Covid until they went in for something else and got tested and they were informed they had it. 

Btw, the Supreme Court just struck down the OSHA Vaccine Mandate on large employers. They left stand the Health Care worker mandate that is causing all the shortages in hospital staffing.

Edited by TBar1977

24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This is anecdotal, but at one of the largest hospitals I know of half the people in there that have Covid are not in for Covid, and many didn't know they even had Covid until they went in for something else and got tested and they were informed they had it. 

I hear ya. But if they went in for an broken ankle or a chest pains and ended up being admitted then tested positive for COVID , that's different than if they went in because they were feeling horrible and ended being admitted because of COVID. Maybe we're saying like things in a different way...

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Kaiser just released notes of a study on Omicron in their CA hospitals. Some snippets:

The study involved more than 52,000 omicron patients and almost 17,000 delta patients within the Kaiser Permanente Southern California health care system between Nov. 30 and Jan. 1, when both variants were spreading. 

Researchers found a 53 percent reduced risk for hospitalization and a 74 percent reduced risk for intensive care unit admission among omicron patients. No omicron patients needed to go on a ventilator, compared to 11 delta patients. One person infected with omicron died, while the system recorded 14 fatalities among patients with delta.  The median length of hospital stay among omicron patients was also almost 3.5 days shorter than those infected with delta.  

I can't independently verify this, but Dr. Marty Makary whom I trust said that the one death in 52,000 was either on par with or even better than the flu. Can't recall his exact wording. Europe is moving from their previous pandemic model to an endemic model. Its here and its not going anywhere so we are going to learn to live with it.

Interesting, thanks for sharing, I wasn’t aware there was already much in the way of studies for omicron in the US.

I think there’s no question Omicron is more mild on a per case basis, however  the case #’s are pretty crazy, so could still lead to high hospitalizations (and not just “with” Covid).  But it does look like it’s starting to peak in some places, so hopefully we should be good to go for the conference tournies and NCAA’s.

19 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Vaccines are good, we agree on this statement. Now, would you take a Covid vaccine every week? Every month? Why wouldn't you, if indeed you would not? What could possibly go wrong?

Who knows?  The woman on the dairy farm next to where I grew up used to say:  "You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die.  You just don't want to eat it all in one sittin".  Smart lady.  I think that about covers it.

2 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

Who knows?  The woman on the dairy farm next to where I grew up used to say:  "You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die.  You just don't want to eat it all in one sittin".  Smart lady.  I think that about covers it.

Although a really cool saying, it is simply an inevitable by-product of living your life.  Doesn't really compare to shooting yourself up with dead bugs or other concoctions that MAY protect you from a specific strain of the live version...

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Although a really cool saying, it is simply an inevitable by-product of living your life.  Doesn't really compare to shooting yourself up with dead bugs or other concoctions that MAY protect you from a specific strain of the live version...

Thank you for the science lesson.  For 60+ years I've been thinking she was talking about vaccines.
I tried to inject a little humor into the endless vaccine peeing contest on here.
I see, like many things, it doesn't work for everybody.

Just now, BerniePragle said:

Thank you for the science lesson.  For 60+ years I've been thinking she was talking about vaccines.
I tried to inject a little humor into the endless vaccine peeing contest on here.
I see, like many things, it doesn't work for everybody.

Hey, I actually loved the saying itself.  It is a great one and my family has used a similar variation since I was a kid.  However, that doesn't mean the humor fit the way you used it. 

You would have been better of using, "If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass on the ground." or this gem:

3 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

Peter Piper not withstanding, I can't recall hearing peck used as unit of volume.  Turns out it is 16 dry pints, which is quite a bit of dirt.

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Peter Piper not withstanding, I can't recall hearing peck used as unit of volume.  Turns out it is 16 dry pints, which is quite a bit of dirt.

When I was a kid, they used to sell fruit and veggies in a peck.  It was one of those old fashion "English/Imperial" units of measurement.  Even more common than furlong per fortnight.  Oh, crap, there I go again...some "internet measurement expert" will google that and tell me, There's no such measurement!!!  I gotta take a nap.

Just now, BerniePragle said:

When I was a kid, they used to sell fruit and veggies in a peck.  It was one of those old fashion "English/Imperial" units of measurement.  Even more common than furlong per fortnight.  Oh, crap, there I go again...some "internet measurement expert" will google that and tell me, There's no such measurement!!!  I gotta take a nap.

Or tell you what you should have said and how you should have said it...

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Or tell you what you should have said and how you should have said it...

With two sayings that had absolutely nothing to do with TBar's post, when TBar liked my saying?

And a 6th grade Science lesson to boot!

Edited by BerniePragle

6 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

With two sayings that had absolutely nothing to do with TBar's post, when TBar liked my saying?

And a 6th grade Science lesson to boot!

I don't know any particulars, just noticing a trend around here....

12 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

When I was a kid, they used to sell fruit and veggies in a peck.  It was one of those old fashion "English/Imperial" units of measurement.

I keep a bushel basket on a shelf in my basement. Just in case. In case of what, you ask?

Maybe to have it handy to measure a bushel of ... well, whatever I need to measure. Maybe some pecks.

Nothing worse than finding out you paid in full and didn't get all four of 'em.

Revised in Bold based on recent duals.

125 - have not seen enough of either to be sure, 1 pt edge to Hildebrandt for experience 3-0

Edge to Ayala as he looks stronger in neutral 0-3 Iowa

133 - RBY seems unstoppable 6-0

Not sure DeSanto is a go and anyone else gives up major. 4-3

141 - Seems like the riddle is starting to get solved  9-0

Both guys sidelined recently - Iowa would win the battle of backups, but sticking with original Lee over Eirman 7-3

149 -  Iowa gets one back  9-3  

Props to Bartlett for good defense and position, but still has not shown much in terms of generating his own offense or imposing his own setups 7-6

157 - Berge is such an unknown, till I see him giving Iowa the edge 9-6

Seems like Berge may stick w 165 and clear edge Iowa 7-9

165- The Bull gets major  9-10

Big Berge has a chance against the Bull, but edge Bull in a close one 7-12

174 - Young Champ over Grandpa - pours it on in the 3rd - 12-10

Same  10-12

184 - Assad mixes it up, but this does not work well 15-10

Same 13-12

197 - Dean wins with relentless pace 18-10

One td match - 16-12

285 - Skinny Hwt Championship Goes to Kerk w better mat wrestling 21-10

Big Kerk bests Skinny Cass 16-12

So, Iowa needs just one upset in a home match likely to include several one score matches.  Fun!

Revised in Bold based on recent duals.

125 - have not seen enough of either to be sure, 1 pt edge to Hildebrandt for experience 3-0

Edge to Ayala as he looks stronger in neutral 0-3 Iowa

133 - RBY seems unstoppable 6-0

Not sure DeSanto is a go and anyone else gives up major. 4-3

141 - Seems like the riddle is starting to get solved  9-0

Both guys sidelined recently - Iowa would win the battle of backups, but sticking with original Lee over Eirman 7-3

149 -  Iowa gets one back  9-3  

Props to Bartlett for good defense and position, but still has not shown much in terms of generating his own offense or imposing his own setups 7-6

157 - Berge is such an unknown, till I see him giving Iowa the edge 9-6

Seems like Berge may stick w 165 and clear edge Iowa 7-9

165- The Bull gets major  9-10

Big Berge has a chance against the Bull, but edge Bull in a close one 7-12

174 - Young Champ over Grandpa - pours it on in the 3rd - 12-10

Same  10-12

184 - Assad mixes it up, but this does not work well 15-10

Same 13-12

197 - Dean wins with relentless pace 18-10

One td match - 16-12

285 - Skinny Hwt Championship Goes to Kerk w better mat wrestling 21-10

Big Kerk bests Skinny Cass 16-12

So, Iowa needs just one upset in a home match likely to include several one score matches.  Fun!

I think Brooks will be looking for bonus against Assad.

He smoked the returning 4th place finisher, 5th ranked Poz last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk