Jimmy Cinnabon

Who is a wrestler on another team you respect the most?

State your fandom and who the other wrestler is.

I'll go first.  As a Penn State fan I respect Kyle Dake the most because he's always beaten David Taylor, no matter where and what weight.  David Taylor is a Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x Hodge Winner and still can't beat Dake.

Mike Macchiavello.

My wife and I went to our first NCAA tournament in Cleveland. The stadium held back club seats until the last minute and we were able to snap up a pair. To get to the seats they had an elevator. We get on and there is a wrestler already on the elevator. We had no idea who he was. We strike up a conversation and he seemed like a very nice guy. So we wish him luck as we are exiting. He seemed a little surprised given that we were wearing another school's gear, but also seemed genuinely grateful. 

My wife and I followed him the rest of the tournament and were very pleasantly surprised to see him win the whole thing. It was kind of fun for us. "Hey, we met that guy, he was nice, we cheered for him and then he won."

The following year, in Pittsburgh, I score another last minute ticket. I get to the Marriott across the street from the stadium late Wednesday night. I check in and head to the elevator. When the doors open who is getting off the elevator, but Mike Macchiavello. We make eye contact and he has this vague sense of recognition as he furrows his brow trying to figure out where he has seen me before. I tell him we met in an elevator in Cleveland and my wife and I wished him luck. He immediately says, "Oh yeah, I remember. That is why I won."

What a very nice person.

David Hirsch of Cornell who won an NCAA title back in the day.  Mike Brown of Lehigh who was an All-American but did not win the NCAA title.  Quentin Wright who won NCAA's and had a lot of NCAA success for Penn State.  The late Greg Stroebel who competed for Oregon State and then served the sport as a beloved coach.  Mike Moyer who competed at West Chester, became a coach and now serves the sport for the NWCA - which has done mangificent things to fight for collegiate wrestling.  

These are just some of whom I have much respect and admiration.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'll go first.  As a Penn State fan I respect Kyle Dake the most because he's always beaten David Taylor, no matter where and what weight.  David Taylor is a Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x Hodge Winner and still can't beat Dake.

Well if we are going back in history on this then I'll take Danny Hodge,

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This brings up an interesting point. Would you rather say (1) you always beat an Olympic champ; or (2) you’re an Olympic champ?

As for the topic, I always rooted for Burroughs, and I’m not a Nebraska fan. And there are plenty of other guys from teams I don’t normally root for who I really like.  It’s fun just to follow the sport. 

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Katie said:

This brings up an interesting point. Would you rather say (1) you always beat an Olympic champ; or (2) you’re an Olympic champ?

As for the topic, I always rooted for Burroughs, and I’m not a Nebraska fan. And there are plenty of other guys from teams I don’t normally root for who I really like.  It’s fun just to follow the sport. 

That probably depends on if you are a 4X NCAA Champ, 3x World Champ and 1x Olympic Bronze Medalist...

27 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

That probably depends on if you are a 4X NCAA Champ, 3x World Champ and 1x Olympic Bronze Medalist...

The Olympics are the absolute pinnacle of the sport.  It’s its own category, IMO.

Jason Welch, formerly of Northwestern and now a coach at SF State.

Seems like a cool, fun, smart free spirit.  Runs wrestling camps, surfs, very thoughtful. and well-educated.

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

The Olympics are the absolute pinnacle of the sport.  It’s its own category, IMO.

Maybe so.  But, I have a hard time imagining you asking Dake point blank if he would give up one of his NCAA Championships, losing to Taylor in the process and reverse every other one of his wins over Taylor to be an Olympic Champ and him saying, "Sure, I would make that trade." 

19 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Jason Welch, formerly of Northwestern and now a coach at SF State.

Seems like a cool, fun, smart free spirit.  Runs wrestling camps, surfs, very thoughtful. and well-educated.

Did a couple shots of tequila with him at The Deadwood in Iowa City during the Olympic Trials one year. Seemed like a cool dude.