• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 oldcougar

oldcougar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

There is a post of the 1964 NCAA finals on youtube. (I tried posting a link, but it came out like this. Hope it is legal and ethical. If not, I apologize to OSUAthletics.)

I'm pretty sure the ref in the Freddie Powell (123 lbs Lock Haven) bout is Dick DiBattista.

Talk about a legend of the mat!

Dick was a PA State Champ from Lower Merion in 1938, the first year that tourney was held. He went to F&M Prep and was National Prep Champ. Then he went to the University of Pennsylvania and was 2x NCAA champ. He never lost a bout in high school, prep school, or college. (WW2 cost us the finals between 43 and 45 so he only got 2 shots).

He was one of the top college refs in the East - evidenced by his participation in the NCAA finals of '64 at Cornell. But he also reffed high schools. In fact he must have reffed a dozen of my matches when I was in hs.

You can't tell it by that baggy shirt, but he was really slapped together.

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

#2 Outlaw

Outlaw

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

Freddie needed longer pants! :roll:

#3 The_Historian

The_Historian

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

Yes that is Dick DiBattista. He was also the coach at Drexel. He was a real brute on the mat.

That was the first NCAA tournament I attended.
Jay Hammond
Historian
National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum
www.wrestlingstats.com

#4 Ex_Fatty

Ex_Fatty

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Yes that is Dick DiBattista. He was also the coach at Drexel. He was a real brute on the mat.

Was it in black and white in person, too? Posted Image

#5 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

I thought (then & now) that the Lahr/Harlow bout is just about as good as it gets ....in the uppers. Great technique along with lots and lots of action.

Harlow was fun to watch. Great wrestler. However , Lahr just may have been about a 'level up' from Mr. Harlow.

If my memory serves me -- Harlow got Peckham at the following year finals (177) bout. I always thought that Harlow could have 'carried' more weight --and still done quite well. As evidenced by his 191 pound title ........after 2 previous attempts for a title at 177.

I am almost positive that Harlow did wrestle Hwt during the dual meet season ? I think that he wrestled Hwt vs one of the top college teams. Harlow's hwt victory ,in fact, won the dual meet vs the OU Sooners ?

#6 andym

andym

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

That is not Mr DiBattista. He is not bald! The ref in the film is. Dick still has all his curly hair which is now mostly white and he combs it straight back. Lives in a retirement home in SE PA.

#7 weh

weh

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

Andy, you need to look a little further along in the video to the 2nd bout (123) in which the ref was Dick DiBattista.

#8 andym

andym

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Andy, you need to look a little further along in the video to the 2nd bout (123) in which the ref was Dick DiBattista.

Thanks, That is Dick DiBattista!!

#9 StanDziedzic

StanDziedzic

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

The Turkish Wrestling Federation is looking for footage of Ahmet Ayik, FILA Bureau Member. He was Olympic Champion '68 and was several times World Champion '62 to '67 era.
Any help would be appreciated

#10 ideamark

ideamark

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Here are links to articles featuring videos of NCAA finals from 45-50 years ago:

> 1962 NCAA finals: http://www.examiner.... ... deo-photos

> 1967 NCAA hwt finals featuring Arizona State's Curley Culp: http://www.examiner.... ... arizona-st

Mark

#11 andym

andym

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

1967 was the 1st NCAA tourney I attended. There were some great wrestlers in that tournament. Rick Sanders, Mike Caruso, Dale Anderson and Curly Culp to name a few. Sanders won OW but I watched Culp for all his matches and thought he should have been OW but Heavyweights never win it because all the coaches have already submitted their ballots or the people counting them already have determined who will win.
Culp pinned everyone except , I think a guy from Lehigh, that he threw around the mat for 8 minutes like a wet fish!!
He was very impressive. As was Sanders. Anderson gutted out a great win in the finals as did Caruso.

Here are links to articles featuring videos of NCAA finals from 45-50 years ago:

> 1962 NCAA finals: http://www.examiner.... ... deo-photos

> 1967 NCAA hwt finals featuring Arizona State's Curley Culp: http://www.examiner.... ... arizona-st

Mark

#12 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Andy -- kind words.

I thought it was interesting for me personally to see that the video is dated 1964.

We drove out from Iowa to see those matches at Cornell -- a fantastic experience! Loved every minute.

Peckham got pinned -- twice! Couldn't believe it!

And that (1964) was Uetake's first NCAA championship.

As a bit of trivia -- Uetake was seeded second that year. Can anybody say who was seeded first -- without looking?

PS -- Just as a wild hope -- I do not have any of my matches except the championship match in 67. Does anyone have any of my matches on video by any chance? Or maybe know who does? I have tried the NCAA and Wide World of Sports -- but no no avail. Thanks.

PPS -- Andy, it would have been a fantastic match between Culp and Porter in 67 -- I heard Porter pinned Culp a week or two later (after the NCAA's).

Best -

DA

#13 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Was looking up the brackets to see who the Lehigh HWT Andym referred to was. Frank 'Petey' Paquin.

But in looking I noticed a few well known football players in that weight (and the same side of the bracket).

Curly Culp, of course. But also, Mike Reid and Granville Liggins (who can forget that name?)

I would assume a few others but those are ones that I would have known of without knowing about wrestling.

#14 andym

andym

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I thought it was interesting for me personally to see that the video is dated 1964.

We drove out from Iowa to see those matches at Cornell -- a fantastic experience! Loved every minute.

As a bit of trivia -- Uetake was seeded second that year. Can anybody say who was seeded first -- without looking?

PS -- Just as a wild hope -- I do not have any of my matches except the championship match in 67. Does anyone have any of my matches on video by any chance? Or maybe know who does? I have tried the NCAA and Wide World of Sports -- but no no avail. Thanks.

PPS -- Andy, it would have been a fantastic match between Culp and Porter in 67 -- I heard Porter pinned Culp a week or two later (after the NCAA's).

Best -

DA

I think Porter pinned Culp in the "East-West" dual in 1968. I was being recruited by OSU and actually flew down from Tulsa airport with Porter and Culp in Roderick's personal plane before the match. Myron let the co-pilot (Culp!) fly the plane for awhile. It was my first plane trip, quite an experience!!!
Hope all is well DA!

#15 weh

weh

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

In 1964, top 130 lb seed was Mike Johnson, Pittsburgh.

#16 Stove_Pipe

Stove_Pipe

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

^^^Mike Johnson was an interesting wrestler - one of the best in PA high school history. Johnson was about 84-0 in high school, a 4X PIAA champ, and was never taken down his entire hs career. His signature move was a lightning quick duck under. Johnson used to say, "Put a quarter down behind you and I'll pick it up before you can."As I recall, the first folkstyle bout Johnson lost was in Dec of 1961 in the Wilkes Open finals, losing a close bout at 123 pounds to Pitt's excellent lower weight Dick Martin. Back then, big NCAA schools, as you all know, had to hold their true frosh out a year before they could compete. The Wilkes, however, was open, and Pitt coach Rex Peery would enter his varsity team and also other Panthers would enter unattached. Cliff Keen used to bring his powerful Michigan teams into the Wilkes Open back then, and excellent post-grads would enter, out of the New York Athletic Club. Ahh, the old days, Gone With the Wind.
  • Wire likes this

#17 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Interesting Stovepipe -- thanks.

I am curious how he got the #1 seed over Uetake -- as both were Sophomores -- and both were undefeated.

Even in Iowa Johnson was becoming somewhat of a legend.

Also, speaking of duck unders -- that might have been Uetake's weakness.

I am 99% sure I saw Clery (sp) from OU take Uetake down with a duck under. I've never seen a prettier one.

For some reason, I've always thought that duck under is so artistic as there is no having to fight through it like a single or double.

Anyway, I would have loved to have seen that match in the finals --

DA

#18 Stove_Pipe

Stove_Pipe

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

^^^I don't recall what the seeds were at the 1964 NCAA's, but Mike Johnson should not have had first seed at 130. Might have been since he was NCAA runnerup in 1963, losing to Mike Nissan in the finals at 123.

#19 oldcougar

oldcougar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

in 63 Mike Johnson wrestled 130 during the regular season, dropping to 123 at the end. I saw him lose to Pat Smartt of Lehigh in the dual (I think he lost). I saw the NCAA final that year and he just plain gassed out in OT.

Only saw Johnson win PA states once (61), but at that time, he was God.

In 64, Johnson was seeded 1st but lost to Jim Hanson of Colorado in the pre-prelims, then medical forfeited out. Hanson went on to lose to Uetake in the finals.

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

#20 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

Millard (unseeded) pinned Peckham. Didn't see that coming. Although Millard did place in top 4-- a few yrs. prior. Here is the point that I want to make.

Take a look at the top 6 at 167 in the 1964 NCAA's. We had 6 placers at that time. Jeez , if you are a wrestler , or, a fan of that time, you know what a line of talent that was. Any one of those (6) guys could have won it all. If you are from the midwest, then you likely know what kind of dominating wrestler the 6th place guy, Isaacson was.....( in HS. and college).

Although, after all was said and done, the stud from SIU Carbondale (Millard) made some huge preparations for the tourney. He was so ready to take it all. Fun stuff back then. And DAA you were a big part of that era. No doubt .....and thanks.

Best -

DA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users