• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

Millard (unseeded) pinned Peckham. Didn't see that coming. Although Millard did place in top 4-- a few yrs. prior. Here is the point that I want to make.

Take a look at the top 6 at 167 in the 1964 NCAA's. We had 6 placers at that time. Jeez , if you are a wrestler , or, a fan of that time, you know what a line of talent that was. Any one of those (6) guys could have won it all. If you are from the midwest, then you likely know what kind of dominating wrestler the 6th place guy, Isaacson was.....( in HS. and college).

Although, after all was said and done, the stud from SIU Carbondale (millard) was ready to take it all. Fun stuff back then. And DAA you were a big part of that whole era. No doubt, and thanks.

Thanks Andy -- kind words.

I thought it was interesting for me personally to see that the video is dated 1964.

We drove out from Iowa to see those matches at Cornell -- a fantastic experience! Loved every minute.

Peckham got pinned -- twice! Couldn't believe it!

And that (1964) was Uetake's first NCAA championship.

As a bit of trivia -- Uetake was seeded second that year. Can anybody say who was seeded first -- without looking?

PS -- Just as a wild hope -- I do not have any of my matches except the championship match in 67. Does anyone have any of my matches on video by any chance? Or maybe know who does? I have tried the NCAA and Wide World of Sports -- but no no avail. Thanks.

PPS -- Andy, it would have been a fantastic match between Culp and Porter in 67 -- I heard Porter pinned Culp a week or two later (after the NCAA's).

Best -

DA

#22 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Millard (unseeded) pinned Peckham. Didn't see that coming. Although Millard did place in top 4-- a few yrs. prior. Here is the point that I want to make.

Take a look at the top 6 at 167 in the 1964 NCAA's. We had 6 placers at that time. Jeez , if you are a wrestler , or, a fan of that time, you know what a line of talent that was. Any one of those (6) guys could have won it all. If you are from the midwest, then you likely know what kind of dominating wrestler the 6th place guy, Isaacson was.....( in HS. and college).

Although, after all was said and done, the stud from SIU Carbondale (Millard) was ready to take it all. Fun stuff back then. And DAA you were a big part of that era. No doubt.

Thanks Andy -- kind words.

I thought it was interesting for me personally to see that the video is dated 1964.

We drove out from Iowa to see those matches at Cornell -- a fantastic experience! Loved every minute.

Peckham got pinned -- twice! Couldn't believe it!

And that (1964) was Uetake's first NCAA championship.

As a bit of trivia -- Uetake was seeded second that year. Can anybody say who was seeded first -- without looking?

PS -- Just as a wild hope -- I do not have any of my matches except the championship match in 67. Does anyone have any of my matches on video by any chance? Or maybe know who does? I have tried the NCAA and Wide World of Sports -- but no no avail. Thanks.

PPS -- Andy, it would have been a fantastic match between Culp and Porter in 67 -- I heard Porter pinned Culp a week or two later (after the NCAA's).

Best -

DA

#23 smittyfan

smittyfan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks fellas, that was great.

#24 OldGrappler

OldGrappler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

The 67 Nationals at Kent State were the first ones I saw too, and it was really terrific. Seeing the youtube video of Culp really brings back memories, and frankly, I don't think the picture I had in my mind was as athletic as the video actually shows. He lateral dropped everyone. That match ought to be shown to every football coach who thinks linemen shouldn't wrestle.

Sanders was fantastic at that tournament. He had a bunch of funky stuff where he'd step his foot up in front of the bottom guy and bait him into grabbing it, and then put in a half-nelson on the far side and start cranking. You clearly weren't going to enjoy yourself out there with Sanders.

I remember the Yatabe-Anderson match, and there was a spectacular salto thrown, if my memory is correct, but I cannot remember who threw it. Getting old.

Went with my dad, hs coach, physics teacher/scorekeeper, and my wrestling buddy. Priceless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users