Sign in to follow this  
Panther78

Covid and NCAA

Maybe this has been hashed out in other threads but after watching my own son struggle with the hoops of COVID, vaccines, protocol, quarantine and in general a bunch of nonsense that colleges and universities are putting these kids through I got to thinking.......which can be dangerous.

When my kid was 5 years old and we got a USA wrestling card we had to sign a liability waiver.

When my kid wrestled in Jr. High........liability waiver.

High school............same..........

Open tournaments............liability waiver.......

So why in the heal can't he just sign a COVID waiver and lets get on with life?

Maybe that is too simple?

I'll bet coaches are just about fed up with it all, I know I am and I am just a spectator at this point!!

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is what we've been doing to navigate this omicron variant and the data that has come out from it:

If you don't feel good, stay home until you do.

If you feel fine, get to practice.

Exactly.............how simple is that and effective!!!

1 hour ago, Panther78 said:

Maybe this has been hashed out in other threads but after watching my own son struggle with the hoops of COVID, vaccines, protocol, quarantine and in general a bunch of nonsense that colleges and universities are putting these kids through I got to thinking.......which can be dangerous.

When my kid was 5 years old and we got a USA wrestling card we had to sign a liability waiver.

When my kid wrestled in Jr. High........liability waiver.

High school............same..........

Open tournaments............liability waiver.......

So why in the heal can't he just sign a COVID waiver and lets get on with life?

Maybe that is too simple?

I'll bet coaches are just about fed up with it all, I know I am and I am just a spectator at this point!!

Its not a problem of liability concerns (1%), its just responsible management of extra-curricular activity to limit risk to the community in which these teams train, live, and compete (home and road trips).  Its also not about how "fed up" you are.  The sport is very lucky it can operate at all in a pandemic.  Try some gratitude for how hard administrations are working to find a way to allow these competitions.

Our passion for the sport does not outweigh the responsibility to others in the community to modify behavior for everybody's protection.  There are young and old all around us that remain vulnerable.  

45 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

It would not be surprising to learn that liability waivers are not 100% effective because some ass hat lawyer convinced some crooked judge to find for the plaintiff anyway.

State legislatures and Congress have the power to control public policy on the effectiveness of liablity waivers (and other standards of liability) and are not stuck with a common law decision made by a judge they don't like.   Ass hat lawyers, judges and legislatures have transformed product safety for the better and now consumers are much much safer - far less injuries and loss of life.       https://www.tortmuseum.org/what-is-tort-law/

7 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Its not a problem of liability concerns (1%), its just responsible management of extra-curricular activity to limit risk to the community in which these teams train, live, and compete (home and road trips).  Its also not about how "fed up" you are.  The sport is very lucky it can operate at all in a pandemic.  Try some gratitude for how hard administrations are working to find a way to allow these competitions.

Folks hate that part for some reason..

You may be finished with COVID but it may not be finished with you.

1 minute ago, Elevator said:

Our passion for the sport does not outweigh the responsibility to others in the community to modify behavior for everybody's protection.  There are young and old all around us that remain vulnerable.  

Oh.....okay.........I'll try and have some gratitude...............you have been paying attention right?

75% comorbidity with at least 4 underlying conditions

.001% mortality rate among young kids

1% liability concerns what world are you living in................I don't see administrations working hard to keep things going!!!

I get it though, you wanna keep things shut down to protect people!!!

4 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

Oh.....okay.........I'll try and have some gratitude...............you have been paying attention right?

75% comorbidity with at least 4 underlying conditions

.001% mortality rate among young kids

1% liability concerns what world are you living in................I don't see administrations working hard to keep things going!!!

I get it though, you wanna keep things shut down to protect people!!!

Just not going to credit the research of any wrestling father over the careful deliberation of each school/AD/conference/NCAA etc who does not have wrestling parent passion.  Our hospitals are full and people are dying.   But nothing personal!  

Edited by Elevator

8 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Just not going to credit the research of any wrestling father over the careful deliberation of each school/AD/conference/NCAA etc who does not have wrestling parent passion.  Our hospitals are full and people are dying.   But nothing personal!  

Perfectly fair................