Jimmy Cinnabon

POLL: Most egregious form of "stall ride"?

Most egregious form of "stall ride"  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most egregious form of "stall ride"?

• Tony Nelson spiral ride of death
    • Double boots a la Zain
    • Kyle Dake claw
    • Penn State ankle pinch
    • Other (specify in your post)

Mine comes under the heading of Other. This was so egregious they basically put an end to it so that you don't really see it any more. It was where the top wrestler grabbed an ankle and picked it up and creatively walked the bottom wrestler out of bounds. Guys used to melt whole periods away doing this, but thankfully they adjusted the rules to put an end to it.

my favorite Jimmy thread yet.
I went with the Penn State ankle pinch.  I considered the double boots, but at least I've occasionally seen people turned with that.   The ankle pinch does nothing to help for a turn.

+1 on the PSU ankle ride

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

How you could conceivably put anything with Zain on it given the devastation he wrought on top is beyond me.  Penn State ankle pinch > Tony Nelson because we're seeing more and more of the pinch.

It's JCB.  You expect anything other than complete crap from him?

I guess I should have included the Jesse Delgado/Dean Heil dive for an ankle and roll to your back too.  But the danger rule has largely eliminated that strategy.
This is not a ride either. Was once one of the worst tactics in college wrestling, though. Danger rule is the rule of the century.

As far as stall rides, the ankle pinch is far and away worse than anything else. Clearly taught as a stall tactic and there is nothing else you can do with it. It should be an automatic stall warning.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

I don't mind tricks on top to break a guy down and try to turn him.  Part of folkstyle.  I don't like the rash of stalling on bottom calls when a guy is being ridden so well he effectively cannot do much, like when the legs are in tight.     

Agreed.  Happened in Ayala/Schroder on Sunday.  Looks like Marinelli has taught him the spiral/claw stall ride.   Does that count as option 1 or 3?

Also bonus points for when guys do these rides with the bottom guy completely out of bounds and the top guy keeping 1 foot in bounds.

I went with the ankle pinch.  Not because it is a PSU thing, but because it literally is the definition of stalling from the top position.  With it pinched it is IMPOSSIBLE to ride in any other way but parallel and your weight is too far back to turn anyone that isn't dumb enough to sit back on that ankle instead of kicking back and clearing it first.  However, it doesn't seem to get called really at all and it is currently a great coaching tactic that is another reason that shows PSU is clearly ahead of everyone else almost yearly.

Nelson definitely deserves mention, but he came out to the side just enough and having to hold down 250+ lbs gave him a bit of latitude with the refs.

Now, if you went double boots ala Chris Perry, I may reconsider.  Zain ABSOLUTELY used the position to punish his opponents and eventually wore them out to the point he actually scored from the position.  Perry ABSOLUTELY used it to cling to his opponents and use up time.  Big difference...

I could see a five (or ten count) for turning or releasing the ankle pinch or a double boot (especially if one minute riding time advantage already exists).  So both.  I guess that's an other vote.

Edited by swoopdown
to explain other vote

24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Thread unfolding basically as expected. 

Do you not think it is fundamentally a stall ride?  Hey, I actually give PSU a ton of credit for how well they use it knowing how unlikely it is to be called for it.  But, that doesn't mean it isn't a stall ride how it is used and I would say the same if Rayvon Foley was using it or Spencer Lee...