Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Who says Illinois kids can't ride

8 minutes ago, TexRef said:

My PA friends always told me that the kids from Ohio and Illinois can't get off the bottom! 

My friends in Illinois always told me refs in Texas were about 8 beers short of a 6-pack.  ;)

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Born in CO, raised in Texas and started wrestling there. 3x Texas HS champ.

When they moved to Texas they came from New Mexico. Not sure how long they were in NM. 

10 minutes ago, TexRef said:

When they moved to Texas they came from New Mexico. Not sure how long they were in NM. 

You are correct. Per his Wiki:

Nickal was born in Rifle, Colorado but moved to Wyoming at a young age, where he started wrestling around five or six years old. In fifth grade, he moved to Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Nickal made the varsity high school team while in the eighth grade and placed second at the state tournament that same season ('09-'10).[9] As a freshman, he moved once again, now to Allen High School in Texas, placing second in the state as well.[10] He won every state championship he competed in since his sophomore year, becoming a three-time UIL title holder.

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are correct. Per his Wiki:

Nickal was born in Rifle, Colorado but moved to Wyoming at a young age, where he started wrestling around five or six years old. In fifth grade, he moved to Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Nickal made the varsity high school team while in the eighth grade and placed second at the state tournament that same season ('09-'10).[9] As a freshman, he moved once again, now to Allen High School in Texas, placing second in the state as well.[10] He won every state championship he competed in since his sophomore year, becoming a three-time UIL title holder.

Yeah I just knew that his dad was on staff at Allen HS and that they just landed in Texas from NM. 

In Texas that just added fuel to the fire for those that accuse Allen HS of recruiting. 

If you look at the teams that win, they are almost always accused of cheating. I think those that complain should be quiet and go back to practice, and no my kids didn't/don't go to Allen HS.

Bo is great for Texas wrestling and has been back to do some camps with his former Allen teammate Oliver Pierce who was at OU and then ASU. 

Edited by TexRef

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

So for that thread looking for a nickname - The Rifle Man - could work.

I suggested, 'Lone Star' awhile back but was corrected that he wasn't from Texas, which I would imagine everyone who follows wrestling would probably know...but alas, here we are. LOL.

The Rifle Man will work. How about, 'Agent Orange.'

46 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I suggested, 'Lone Star' awhile back but was corrected that he wasn't from Texas, which I would imagine everyone who follows wrestling would probably know...but alas, here we are. LOL.

The Rifle Man will work. How about, 'Agent Orange.'

I defer to Lyle Lovett on the topic:

That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

On 1/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, TexRef said:

Yeah I just knew that his dad was on staff at Allen HS and that they just landed in Texas from NM. 

In Texas that just added fuel to the fire for those that accuse Allen HS of recruiting. 

If you look at the teams that win, they are almost always accused of cheating. I think those that complain should be quiet and go back to practice, and no my kids didn't/don't go to Allen HS.

Bo is great for Texas wrestling and has been back to do some camps with his former Allen teammate Oliver Pierce who was at OU and then ASU. 

Very few of the top programs don’t. And the few that actually do mostly do things correctly now a days like st. Ed’s.. used to do those things back in the day.

I’m saying this with extreme familiarity from the inside and outside perspective of several of those kind of programs. 

The question is isn’t whether the majority of those programs at the minimum push the boundaries or outright break them. It’s whether or not people are okay with it.

Though personally I judge the hs teams that always “acquire” talent more than develop it.