GreatWhiteNorth

Iowa vs Purdue - Heavyweight fiasco

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Jump to 46:43 for Hwt match.

That win wasn't even close to deserving smiles and celebration - not unless you are the type of person who likes to kick your dog. Decide for yourself.

1i1NvM.gif

Feels like you're just trying to stir up controversy for controversy's sake. This is not, by any means, "basically a rear naked choke". Cass only has one arm around the neck, a hold very similar to what you might see in a turk or a bow and arrow. That doesn't mean that pressure isn't being applied to the carotid artery but the way you are characterizing it is just not accurate. 

As another poster noted, there doesn't seem to be any indication of ill will on Cass's part. This is on the ref. 

Per your smile comment, I watched till the end. The only person smiling on video is Cass. Why is that weird? He pinned his opponent in quick fashion and although it was a little hairy for a minute there, the purdue wrestler recovered and was able to walk back to the center of the mat and slap hands. If you've watched more than a few videos of Cass you should know that he smiles (and laughs) A LOT. His team just dominated a very salty team. He felt good about his performance (again, it was a weird match but his opponent ultimately recovered in quick fashion and appeared to be ok at match end) and gave a smirk to the coaching staff. Maybe I wouldn't smile in that scenario but I am generally a grouchy person, Cass is all teeth whenever you have a conversation with him though so I'm really struggling to see what the issue is.

Watching the video, I would make two points. First, the Purdue guy has a winning record so is not entirely defenseless. Second, the pin came pretty fast so it was not a sustained choke. Sure, the ref might have noticed, but it did not seem malicious to me.

Wow. This is one of the worst troll posts I've ever seen on this forum. It was cross face, like is taught to 6 year old, first year wrestlers learning a cradle. A freak incident that it happened to create the right amount of pressure to cause a black out, but you can't be a wrestling fan and watch that and truly think there was anything malicious on the part of Cass. And he didn't smile at all until he was running off the mat after it was clear his opponent was ok. And it wasn't an ear to ear **** eating grin.

Honestly, it's hard to tell how exactly he lost consciousness. Maybe something more similar to a shoulder choke, but certainly nothing like a rear naked choke. But 100% not intentional. I don't think the ref is even to blame as the loss of consciousness happened so quickly before the fall and there was not a potentially dangerous position. Just a freak incident.

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Jump to 46:43 for Hwt match.

That win wasn't even close to deserving smiles and celebration - not unless you are the type of person who likes to kick your dog. Decide for yourself.

Where is the smiling and celebration, other than the clapping when Woulfe was able to get up?  Once it was clear the guy was out cold, Cassioppi, the Iowa bench and crowd all look concerned.  As someone else mentioned, I don’t really see any smiles other than a slight smirk as Cassioppi is walking off the mat after the Purdue wrestler had gotten up.

5 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

1i1NvM.gif

Feels like you're just trying to stir up controversy for controversy's sake. This is not, by any means, "basically a rear naked choke". Cass only has one arm around the neck, a hold very similar to what you might see in a turk or a bow and arrow. That doesn't mean that pressure isn't being applied to the carotid artery but the way you are characterizing it is just not accurate. 

As another poster noted, there doesn't seem to be any indication of ill will on Cass's part. This is on the ref. 

Per your smile comment, I watched till the end. The only person smiling on video is Cass. Why is that weird? He pinned his opponent in quick fashion and although it was a little hairy for a minute there, the purdue wrestler recovered and was able to walk back to the center of the mat and slap hands. If you've watched more than a few videos of Cass you should know that he smiles (and laughs) A LOT. His team just dominated a very salty team. He felt good about his performance (again, it was a weird match but his opponent ultimately recovered in quick fashion and appeared to be ok at match end) and gave a smirk to the coaching staff. Maybe I wouldn't smile in that scenario but I am generally a grouchy person, Cass is all teeth whenever you have a conversation with him though so I'm really struggling to see what the issue is.

Even though I hate your screen name I agree 100%.  Rewatched a couple of times and there is nothing to see here. Guy was stalling on bottom, Cass kept wrestling, was across the throat in a questionable area for 2-3 seconds before his hand locked onto the shoulder.  I don’t think Cass was deliberately going for the choke, he was just wrestling.  It was a big night of wrestling and Cass capped it off with a pin after getting manhandled by the Olympic champ 2 days earlier.  Why in the world should he not smile and feel like at least he can still wrestle after getting mercy-ruled by Gable. 

Wow...who ever said this is the worst troll job of a thread is absolutely correct!  Geeze...it's as if someone has never watched college wrestling before...heck, even youth wrestling before.

I see absolutely nothing dirty about the clip that was posted. Cas didn't put a second hand on or do anything that would be illegal. I'm more worried about the underlying health of the Purdue wrestler after watching that. I train in BJJ and it's not normal to sleep that quickly from some cartoid pressure. It must have been way tighter than it looked for longer than what that clip showed

Even though Cass didn't completely choke him out, the ref should have made him get off the throat. Purdue guy did an acting job after getting pinned. I think that's about all there is to see here. Match outcome wasn't affected IMO.

2 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Even though I hate your screen name I agree 100%.  Rewatched a couple of times and there is nothing to see here. Guy was stalling on bottom, Cass kept wrestling, was across the throat in a questionable area for 2-3 seconds before his hand locked onto the shoulder.  I don’t think Cass was deliberately going for the choke, he was just wrestling.  It was a big night of wrestling and Cass capped it off with a pin after getting manhandled by the Olympic champ 2 days earlier.  Why in the world should he not smile and feel like at least he can still wrestle after getting mercy-ruled by Gable. 

I like the passive aggressiveness.  Especially "mercy-ruled".  Cass got beat by possibly the best Heavyweight to ever wrestle in DI and it wasn't close.  But, there literally is a "mercy rule" in College Wrestling.  It is called a tech fall.  It actually stops the match early.  17-7 isn't a tech fall and the match went the entire 7 minutes.  Nice try though...

5 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

I'm sorry my screen name displeases you. Does it change anything if I told you that it's a reference to one of my favorite shows? I understand that it's a bit abrasive 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

I'm sorry my screen name displeases you. Does it change anything if I told you that it's a reference to one of my favorite shows? I understand that it's a bit abrasive 

Haha, no I just need to be more tolerant

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I like the passive aggressiveness.  Especially "mercy-ruled".  Cass got beat by possibly the best Heavyweight to ever wrestle in DI and it wasn't close.  But, there literally is a "mercy rule" in College Wrestling.  It is called a tech fall.  It actually stops the match early.  17-7 isn't a tech fall and the match went the entire 7 minutes.  Nice try though...

You are correct, just felt like it should have been a tech. 

What kind of soft a$$ wrestling did you grow up around that a cross face slipping too high is a deliberate “rear naked choke”. You sound like a PTA mom screeching bout her baby boy at middle school tournament 

9 hours ago, MSU158 said:

You are one touchy, sensitive dude.