Elevator

Best Arena for College Wrestling

Best dual ever is an interesting question and would deserve some study.  The recent pre-covid dual between PSU and Ohio State where skinny Cassar wrestled 197 as a backup to Rasheed and beat Moore (then #1 and undefeated) might be a contender. Team score was close until the end and I think was at Rec Hall.  Nick Nevills v. Snyder and Nevills got the first td.  Did not see it in person - but BTN!

A large arena is usually undesirable. When it is actually packed (almost never), it can be electric, but at the vast majority of schools, a large arena is mostly empty and really sucks the energy out of an event from the outset. The more intimate setting of a smaller arena with standing-room only, sound amplified by the smaller space, can be almost as exciting as a packed Carver, and that is the standard that all but maybe three or four schools should set.

When packed, nothing beats Carver. The combination of size, extreme homerism (always entertaining), loudness, and general crowd knowledge is hard to beat. A few duals at Bryce Jordan have approximated that environment, but Cael is a 1 on a 10-point intensity scale to watch while the Brands are 11s, which makes for good comedy that adds to the Carver entertainment edge. 

Aside from those two, the most energy I've felt in duals has been in smaller settings. Lehigh's Snake Pit and Cornell's Friedman are particularly memorable.

There are a lot of storied, historic arenas in D1 wrestling. Fanatic fan bases and electric environments.  The RAC, whiteout at Penn state, west gym. 

But nothing, and I really mean nothing compares to Carver. It’s been said again and again by fans, wrestlers, coaches and referees. 

see video for an example:

https://twitter.com/laura_vandeberg/status/1223450346560851969?s=21

this is when kemerer got the final takedown against mark hall essentially sealing the dual for the hawks. I was in section E roughly row 15 and it was bonkers. 

Edited by Witherman

On 1/13/2022 at 9:11 AM, fadzaev2 said:

The Covelli Center......The 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) facility was opened on June 4, 2019, and serves as the home to the fencing, men's and women's gymnastics, men's and women's volleyball, and wrestling programs. The site also occasionally serves as a venue for the Ohio State Buckeyes women's basketball team. It seats 3,700 max....may include standing room only.

After attending the UM/OSU match last Friday I've heard it can more than 3,700.....not sure what the exact number really is.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:12 PM, GockeS said:

anybody have a picture of the huge mat kurdlemeyer used at iowa in the 70's for a dual with oklahoma i think? he didn't want them playing the edge...

wasn't carver...but would be cool to see...

Here ya go...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=282702759040187

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

thats freaking awesome!!

thanks so much!

There's also a picture of it, and it's talked about in Chuck Yagla's book "Kings of the Mat"....don't even think about it.....it's out of print.  It was a paperback and the binding fell apart on them....I had mine hardcover bound.....great book.

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

After attending the UM/OSU match last Friday I've heard it can more than 3,700.....not sure what the exact number really is.

Looks like a nice spot for wrestling matches but thought it was weird that the teams/coaches were like basically sitting in the stands

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like a nice spot for wrestling matches but thought it was weird that the teams/coaches were like basically sitting in the stands

Now that you mention it, you are right.....wonder if it could be Covid related, but not sure that makes sense.