65kg-Yianni

70kg-James Green

74kg-Jason Nolf

79kg-JB

86kg-Zahid Valencia

92kg-Cox

97kg-Snyder

125kg-to be determined 

Notable absences in Dake and Taylor so we won't be seeing Yaz Taylor 4. I assume they are trying to negotiate with Gable so we get the headline of Zare vs him which would be huge.

Edited by Uwwdoc

Btw the most likely but unconfirmed line up for Iran will be

57kg-Sarlak

61kg-Majid Dastan

65kg-Rahman Amouzad

70kg-Amir Mohammad Yazdani/Erfan Elahi

74kg-Younes Emami

79kg-Nokhodi

86kg-Hassan Yazdani

92kg-Ghasempour/Firouzpour

97kg-Goleij

125kg-Zare

Obviously if Gable is able to then Zare vs him is a huge headliner. Iran vs USA in Texas. 2 young guns. Oslo World Champion vs Tokyo Olympic Champion. Will be a huge promotional let down if that won't happen, especially since Taylor won't be facing Yazdani.

Still some great matches. Oslo World final rematches at 57 and 79. Goleij will be happy to rematch Snyder after losing in the last seconds. Cox and Ghasempour will be good if Kamran is fit. Yazdani and Zahid is fun although I expect Yaz to dominate and tech.

I thought Taylor would have loved to try and get revenge for Oslo.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

Notable absences in Dake and Taylor so we won't be seeing Yaz Taylor 4. I assume they are trying to negotiate with Gable so we get the headline of Zare vs him which would be huge.

What possible connection between Dake and Taylor would have prevented them from participating, I wonder?

The press release says that matches will alternate on 2 mats. Am I understanding this correctly? The 2 duals won't be going at the same time?

It would be interesting to see/hear how Gilman behaves being in close proximity to his alma mater. He said some funny albeit unkind things throughout much of last year, though was more respectful and appreciative during the summer 

2 hours ago, klehner said:

What possible connection between Dake and Taylor would have prevented them from participating, I wonder?

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Thomas Gilman is also of the same mindset and part of the Athletes for Medical Freedom movement and he is listed. So it can't be just that.

The un-vaccinated can participate. I posted a few of France's mandates/requirements on the other thread. It's also on the UWW/Deglane site.

21 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

The un-vaccinated can participate. I posted a few of France's mandates/requirements on the other thread. It's also on the UWW/Deglane site.

Is the 2/12 US vs. Iran match not under the auspices of USA Wrestling?  And do they not have a vaccination mandate?  Please correct any understanding I may have; I only recently took notice of this event and may not fully understand.

4 hours ago, Jim L said:

With Gable focused on NCAA and WWE and being a celebrity, it seems like  Zare would have the advantage in a Freestyle matchup.  I would love to see a focused, peak Gable v. Zare

Don't think you will see Gable against the top guys again. His last second finish for Gold in the Olympics isn't something he will want to try again and the idea of losing most likely kept him away from the World Championships. Why let the American Public and ProSlobCircuit see him as anything but an Olympic Champion. So he plays with the lesser circuit of NCAA wrestling and stays the hero.

Great looking line ups for both teams. Always respect the teams Iran puts out and can't wait to watch these athletes go at it. It will be fun to see if Zahir has anything for yazdani (I could see him getting a takedown or two but I imagine it won't be near enough to beat yaz).

54 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Iran is a strong favourite at 86kg and 125kg (assuming no Gable), the US is a strong favourite at 57kg, 61kg and 79kg. 

65kg, 70kg, 74kg, 92kg and 97kg could go either way. 

Agree with all apart from 57kg. Think Gilman is the favourite but Sarlak gained some confidence from the final loss in Oslo. If he can be first and get attacks early he has a decent chance. He is the underdog though but not as much you may think imo.

One of the more intriguing bouts for me is Snyder and Goleij. With Goleij giving away the match in the last few seconds with a silly mistake in Oslo, he felt very much afterwards that in a second match he would beat Kyle without making it as close. It will probably play a big factor on who will be Iran's no 1 for 97kg considering how tight things are between him and Mohammadian. If Goleij can get a good win over Snyder then it really pushes him. But if he loses twice, considering Mohammadian has a pin win against Snyder and recently beat Goleij then it will really be a blow to him being no 1. I think he has a lot more riding on this match with Snyder than the rest of the Iran team. It's a friendly match on paper only. He will need a good showing.

Don't think you will see Gable against the top guys again. His last second finish for Gold in the Olympics isn't something he will want to try again and the idea of losing most likely kept him away from the World Championships. Why let the American Public and ProSlobCircuit see him as anything but an Olympic Champion. So he plays with the lesser circuit of NCAA wrestling and stays the hero.

I disagree. Team Gable is probably hyping this event up as another super challenge that elevates his brand across the world. If he loses, there will be a rematch worth $$$$$ for both guys.

So is there any word as to why Taylor and Dake won't wrestle? I recall someone from USA-Wrestling saying he expects both teams to send their best line up when this was first announced. Valencia is a good wrestler but Yazdani will under hook bully him without much issue. 

On 1/13/2022 at 2:05 PM, Uwwdoc said:

Thomas Gilman is also of the same mindset and part of the Athletes for Medical Freedom movement and he is listed. So it can't be just that.

I wouldn't assume that.  The Athletes for Medical Freedom position isn't anti-vaxx per se, it is anti vaxx mandate.  One could theoretically get vaxxed but disagree with the mandate.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, Casper said:

Good call.  That guy never wrestles the best.  

I think this is a good thing.  Perhaps this is why we have no one going to other tourneys in Russia etc. 

I wish we had our best.  Will be a real test for Nolf and Zahid. 

mspart

On 1/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, Casper said:

I don't buy that the American public follows any of this stuff enough to justify calculated appearances to this extent. 

The only people who would care about  a loss at worlds are hardcore amateur wrestling fans. 

3 minutes ago, HawkY said:

I don't buy that the American public follows any of this stuff enough to justify calculated appearances to this extent. 

The only people who would care about  a loss at worlds are hardcore amateur wrestling fans. 

Sadly, I agree with this assessment.

mspart