Uwwdoc

Lineup for US team for the 12th Feb showdown vs Iran

I'm happy for Jason and Zahid to get the call on the big stage but why not our world champ Kyle and Olympic champ David at 74 and 86?

Rich Bender said both teams would send #1 lineups (paraphrasing) to this event. What happened?  

2 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

I'm happy for Jason and Zahid to get the call on the big stage but why not our world champ Kyle and Olympic champ David at 74 and 86?

Rich Bender said both teams would send #1 lineups (paraphrasing) to this event. What happened?  

Maybe they're not interested in wrestling right now...

7 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Rich Bender is not a college coach. If they say no, what can he do? 

That everything is done through a trials process makes the US wrestling execs much less powerful than their foreign counterparts. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, Shiraz123 said:

So is there any word as to why Taylor and Dake won't wrestle? I recall someone from USA-Wrestling saying he expects both teams to send their best line up when this was first announced. Valencia is a good wrestler but Yazdani will under hook bully him without much issue. 

Did Dake or Taylor ever provide a reason for skipping this dual?  I get why Taylor might sit out, but makes no sense why we're sending Nolf instead of Dake.

20 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Why don't folks believe that if Dake wanted to wrestle he would be wrestling? 

Yes, no problem I get it. Maybe Dake and Taylor need some time off (banged up, time with family, personal, peak for next World's.....whatever) from high level competition. And unfortunately we all saw what happened to DT in an exhibition at BTS. So again, no problem here.

But initially seeing them off the roster for such a cool event was surprising and disappointing.

Nonetheless should be fascinating to see Nolf compete against Emami coming off his Tsabalov win and his trip to Dagestan. Plus should be very entertaining to see if Zahid's technique can hang with Hassan"s power and underhook. 

On 1/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Uwwdoc said:

As per team usa.org

57kg-Thomas Gilman

61kg-Daton Fix

65kg-Yianni

70kg-James Green

74kg-Jason Nolf

79kg-JB

86kg-Zahid Valencia

92kg-Cox

97kg-Snyder

125kg-to be determined 

Notable absences in Dake and Taylor so we won't be seeing Yaz Taylor 4. I assume they are trying to negotiate with Gable so we get the headline of Zare vs him which would be huge.

Are Dake and Taylor out because the refuse to vax?

On 1/18/2022 at 6:23 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Did Dake or Taylor ever provide a reason for skipping this dual?  I get why Taylor might sit out, but makes no sense why we're sending Nolf instead of Dake.

Have you seen Dake recently? He looks very far from 74 kg, with or without allowance.

Confirmed line up for Iran:

57-Sarlak

61-majid dastan

65-Rahman Amouzad

70-Erfan Elahi

74-Younes Emami

79-Nokhodi

86-Yazdani

92-Ghasempour

97-Goleij

125-Zare

Cox vs Kamran will be good. Hopefully Kamran is fully fit. Goleij vs Snyder also will be good. Good experience for Nokhodi to battle Burroughs again only a few months from Oslo.

And Zare vs .....?

The IWF spokesman is saying the Visas have not been confirmed yet even though there are suggestions it has been by other sources

Edited by Uwwdoc

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

57kg-Thomas Gilman

61kg-Daton Fix

65kg-Yianni

70kg-James Green

74kg-Jason Nolf

79kg-JB

86kg-Zahid Valencia

92kg-Cox

97kg-Snyder

125kg-Gwiz

Zare will just Sumo wrestle his way to a victory.  He will push his underhooks and girth against Gwiz over and over again.  

If he takes a shot, it will only be a shot of whiskey or Tequila after the match.  

41 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Zare will just Sumo wrestle his way to a victory.  He will push his underhooks and girth against Gwiz over and over again.  

If he takes a shot, it will only be a shot of whiskey or Tequila after the match.  

Whilst Zare has no incentive to change and will come with the game plan that has worked over and over again against Gwiz it seems the onus is on Gwiz to try something new to stop the bout going the way his other matches went against Zare. The ball is in Gwiz's court to try and get a different result this time.

Edited by window12
typo

On 1/13/2022 at 7:27 PM, The Genius said:

Iran is a strong favourite at 86kg and 125kg (assuming no Gable), the US is a strong favourite at 57kg, 61kg and 79kg. 

65kg, 70kg, 74kg, 92kg and 97kg could go either way. 

Snyder is the favorite at 97.  If he doesn’t win this the PSU experiment is a failure.

And I hope he wins.