Uwwdoc

Lineup for US team for the 12th Feb showdown vs Iran

after seeing the full teams, I think this will be between 8-2 and 6-4 for the US

Iran is just very weak all the way up to 79kg

6-4 for the US would keep it respectable at least.

Edited by The Genius

I think there’s no real need to see DT and Yazdani in an exhibition. I think it’s going to be a long and heated rivalry and seeing it in an exhibition just takes some of its luster away. Plus, why keep allowing your biggest opponent to get more familiar with you? I bet if DT said he was going Yaz would back out.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

8 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I bet if DT said he was going Yaz would back out.

Yaz accepted thinking he would face DT. I highly doubt he would back out. I don't recall Yaz ever backing out in his career.

Also, I think Yaz benefits more than DT the more they wrestle. His style is more difficult to adjust to than DT's.

34 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Yaz accepted thinking he would face DT. I highly doubt he would back out. I don't recall Yaz ever backing out in his career.

Also, I think Yaz benefits more than DT the more they wrestle. His style is more difficult to adjust to than DT's.

You're right.  (In my mind) it benefits Yaz more on a number of fronts.
But honestly i'm pumped for the Z-money match. If Zahid competes with the man, I'm going to double down and keep telling @nhs67 I was right and he can kick rocks.
But if he gets ran over, I'll give up on that whole stance, and cringe every-time somebody says "And people thought Zahid could compete for a title"
Because I am "People" and I'll be embarrassed

Ghasempour vs Cox II is the best match of the duel in my opinion. If Kamran can beat Cox twice (this time in the US) then that will really be impressive. Cox knows who Kamran is now so he will be more prepared, but from a mental standpoint it will be a challenge to face a guy he lost to a few months back, not something J'den is used to.

This is an exhibition at the end of the day but from an Iranian perspective there will be some big implications for who is going to be favoured to be number 1 at 97kg between Goleij and Mohammadian depending how Goleij performs. To add to that, if Kamran goes 2-0 up against Cox and Cox beats Snyder when they meet in their match, then that might be just enough to give confidence and push Kamran to try and compete at 97kg when it comes to Paris 2024. Although he is more fitted to 86-92 and smaller for 97kg, he has a greater chance securing that spot than taking 86kg off Yazdani. Having Olympics in mind.

46 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

You're right.  (In my mind) it benefits Yaz more on a number of fronts.
But honestly i'm pumped for the Z-money match. If Zahid competes with the man, I'm going to double down and keep telling @nhs67 I was right and he can kick rocks.
But if he gets ran over, I'll give up on that whole stance, and cringe every-time somebody says "And people thought Zahid could compete for a title"
Because I am "People" and I'll be embarrassed

He just demolished every single soul at the Yarigan at 86, in a field that included Kurugliev...

Oh wait... ... ...

... ...

26 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Ghasempour vs Cox II is the best match of the duel in my opinion. If Kamran can beat Cox twice (this time in the US) then that will really be impressive. Cox knows who Kamran is now so he will be more prepared, but from a mental standpoint it will be a challenge to face a guy he lost to a few months back, not something J'den is used to.

This is an exhibition at the end of the day but from an Iranian perspective there will be some big implications for who is going to be favoured to be number 1 at 97kg between Goleij and Mohammadian depending how Goleij performs. To add to that, if Kamran goes 2-0 up against Cox and Cox beats Snyder when they meet in their match, then that might be just enough to give confidence and push Kamran to try and compete at 97kg when it comes to Paris 2024. Although he is more fitted to 86-92 and smaller for 97kg, he has a greater chance securing that spot than taking 86kg off Yazdani. Having Olympics in mind.

I don't think it's that Cox didn't know or didn't respect him.  I think it's that Cox allowed himself to get a little too big, in preparation for 97kg.  I think this time we will see a lit Cox ready to prove that he is amongst the P4P best.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He just demolished every single soul at the Yarigan at 86, in a field that included Kurugliev...

Oh wait... ... ...

... ...

Dude's prone to brian farts.
One match though.... he's going to scrap with Yaz

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think it's that Cox didn't know or didn't respect him.  I think it's that Cox allowed himself to get a little too big, in preparation for 97kg.  I think this time we will see a lit Cox ready to prove that he is amongst the P4P best.

Not so much respect, but genuinely not being aware of him and how good he is. I think I remember when I was there in an interview after he won bronze, they asked him about Kamran and he said "I didn't know who he was, now I do".

Found the clip: talks about it at 4.10

Well, that wouldn’t be the first bet I lost (hence the sig lol). But I think the point still stands that somebody is getting a benefit of seeing their greatest rival and it’s just not worth that risk to me. I agree it’s probably Yaz. Are you sure though that Yaz accepted thinking DT would be there? He may have accepted conditionally based on that? Just a thought, I have no idea. And just to be clear, I don’t think this is remotely similar to “ducking” so I’m not trying to say either one is scared to compete

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

No excuse is good enough imo. He’ll have had 2 chances to defend his crown and didn’t show up either time. Imo Zaire is the heavyweight champion of the world. 

Despite winning the most prestigious tournament the last five (5) years, in which both were entered?

Okay.

This is as bad a take as the 'Ethan Smith hasn't improved sincd arriving in Cbus' take.

52 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Which is my favorite,  'bad take' of the season.

The weirdest take of this whole saga  on here is that if Gable loses in Freestyle again, it will somehow hurt his WWE move? And thats why he cant do it. 

The bulk of wrestling fans don't care about freestyle, but the WWE fanbase which has very little to no  crossover with wrestling are apparently super invested and will question his gold medal if that happened?

It is no risk no reward in regards to his WWE career. 

47 minutes ago, HawkY said:

The weirdest take of this whole saga  on here is that if Gable loses in Freestyle again, it will somehow hurt his WWE move? And thats why he cant do it. 

The bulk of wrestling fans don't care about freestyle, but the WWE fanbase which has very little to no  crossover with wrestling are apparently super invested and will question his gold medal if that happened?

It is no risk no reward in regards to his WWE career. 

Didn't Kurt Angle take the same route?

Thought I read a post that this match against Gable was going to set up Zare's WWE career as well.  :D  Anyway, wanted to finally see Gable vs Zare, especially after Gable's tweet and Zare's gold and back flip. Gable still looks in tip top wrestling shape.

Only exhibition, but was really looking forward to Dake, Taylor and Steveson in the lineup against Iran's varsity squad.

Also a big shout out to Iran's wrestling team for traveling to Texas and competing in this very cool event.      

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Didn't Kurt Angle take the same route?

Angle did. Most pro wrestling fans are not former amateur wrestlers, though a lot of amateur wrestling fans are into pro wrestling. 

I was talking about the weird theories that if Gable went to worlds, it would just be too risky because if he lost and the WWE people knew about it they would....  I don't know pay him less because WWE fans  would ???? call his gold fake???

My guess is Gable  doesn't personally care about winning Worlds  ( getting the former World and Olympic champ title in interviews doesn't hold value to him) and since he is not in it for the long haul who cares about prepping and going through the process just to impress some hardcore wrestling fans or in this upcoming event. 

If Zare was some 10 year undefeated champion, I thing he'd be tempted to.  We don't know yet what Zare will be in the grand scheme of Freestyle. 

* I think its pretty clear from Gable's interviews that he considered Taha Akgul his white whale and final boss.  Once he beat Taha convincingly he conquered what he thought of as the ultimate challenge of an one on one match that FS has to offer. 

Edited by HawkY

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Despite winning the most prestigious tournament the last five (5) years, in which both were entered?

Okay.

This is as bad a take as the 'Ethan Smith hasn't improved sincd arriving in Cbus' take.

What about calling out Zare and then not backing it up. Do think it’s something else other than scared to lose?

18 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He’s scared to lose!!

I doubt he is scared, but he has nothing to gain and does have something to lose. When you win the Olympic Gold, you are top dog. If he wins an exhibition he climbs no higher. If he loses, there is just a little luster off his gold.

39 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I doubt he is scared, but he has nothing to gain and does have something to lose. When you win the Olympic Gold, you are top dog. If he wins an exhibition he climbs no higher. If he loses, there is just a little luster off his gold.

I agree with this. Unless there was a big cash incentive, there is more to lose and little to gain. I would probably put Zare as slight favourite over him tbh.