Uwwdoc

Lineup for US team for the 12th Feb showdown vs Iran

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I guess you’re a fan of the ducking that happens in college wrestling? What is the timeframe that is acceptable? I’m also not saying Zare would beat Gable, I just want to see them wrestle and this is probably the last time that could happen. It’s also weird that your cool with people chirping and not backing it up but it is clear why you spend so much time on message boards. 

Wrong on all counts.  Good try, though.

I am done beating this dead horse... can't fix stoopid.  My apologies for failing you.

7 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Canceled? Iran not making the trip?

correct, cancelled :(

using google translate from the page that @wrestfanposted

in a letter to the president of the u.s. wrestling federation, the president of the wrestling federation announced the impossibility of iran's participation in the team's friendly sports match with the freestyle wrestling team.

according to the public relations of wrestling federation, the text of the email sent is as follows:

mr. boris bumgartner
, world and olympic champion and president of the american

wrestling federation, i am very sorry to announce that the national wrestling team of the islamic republic of iran, due to the lack of visas to six members of the team, is virtually not able to participate in the friendly match with the u.s. national team. unfortunately, the lack of visa issuance by the authorities of your country, despite all the preparations made by the members of the iranian team and the presentation of all the necessary documents and subsequent repeated follow-ups has been made.

i'm not sorry to announce that until now the visas of two wrestlers, coach, team supervisor and olympic referee of the federation and me as the president of the federation has not been issued and therefore i have no choice but to announce the cancellation of the trip for me.

i would also like to express my objection to the uncivilized and out-of-courtesy treatment of some agents of the u.s. consulate general in dubai with the head of iran's national wrestling team who interviewed him for about five hours.

personally, i am confident that you and good american wrestlers have no role in these anti-sports political movements.

i was interested in following your respectful invitation to play sports together and learn from each other that the goal of this competition was to do this purely sporting event. now that for non-sporting reasons, this is not possible in the united states, i would like to invite you and the u.s. national wrestling team to come to iran as soon as possible and make this friendly visit in iran.

i assure you that my fellow wrestlers, my friend and hospitality, will welcome you with open arms.

with the respect
of alireza dabiris
of the wrestling federation of the islamic republic of iran

Edited by irani

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Boris? google ain't perfect.

translation of a translation always fails.  They take Bruce and spell it use it the Persian alphabet.  Then google translates those same letters back to English, and the outcome is unpredictable.

But I hope you still get the gist of the letter.  They are not coming.  Instead, they invited the US wrestling team to go to Iran.

1 minute ago, irani said:

translation of a translation always fails.  They take Bruce and spell it use it the Persian alphabet.  Then google translates those same letters back to English, and the outcome is unpredictable.

But I hope you still get the gist of the letter.  They are not coming.  Instead, they invited the US wrestling team to go to Iran.

I got it. Other grammatical issues in the translation also. I assume they were upset at the treatment BY the ambassadorial crew not OF them.

BTW- Bruce and Boris do sound marginally similar- could the Iranian translation into Persian be as much of a phonetic issue?

9 minutes ago, irani said:

actually they made a mistake. it's not google's fault. they wrote Boris بوریس in Persian instead of بروس

17 minutes ago, irani said:

i assure you that my fellow wrestlers, my friend and hospitality, will welcome you with open arms.

with the respect
of alireza dabiris
of the wrestling federation of the islamic republic of iran

It is a good time to invite the USA team to Iran. There is only one week left until the Anniversary of the Islamic Revolution. They can see up close how Alireza Dabir's friends welcome them. Unless they are locked in a hotel and not allowed to hear the chants of his friends.

13 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I got it. Other grammatical issues in the translation also. I assume they were upset at the treatment BY the ambassadorial crew not OF them.

BTW- Bruce and Boris do sound marginally similar- could the Iranian translation into Persian be as much of a phonetic issue?

Yes, in this case, as @wrestfan correctly pointed out, the issue was not with the translation, but the original letter

However, the issue is exactly what you said, phonetic translations.  As an example, people translate Zare's name the way it spells in Persian.  Most Americans would most pronounce his name as Zeyr.  If instead, they spelled it the way it sounds, it would be something like Zaw-Rae

Yes, in this case, as @wrestfan correctly pointed out, the issue was not with the translation, but the original letter

However, the issue is exactly what you said, phonetic translations.  As an example, people translate Zare's name the way it spells in Persian.  Most Americans would most pronounce his name as Zeyr.  If instead, they spelled it the way it sounds, it would be something like Zaw-Rae

oh lool not this again.

I believe correct pronunciation is Za-reh 

12 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

oh lool not this again.

Try it.  Show both spellings to an American, and ask them to pronounce your spelling and my spelling.

17 minutes ago, irani said:

it would be something like Zaw-Rae

15 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I would use a little more of a long a sound in the second syllable of the @irani description.

I also might not emphasize either syllable in the same one given both starting in caps but that might just be coincidental.

Try it.  Show both spellings to an American, and ask them to pronounce your spelling and my spelling.

Going off this video, and others of his name being pronounced, I think I would either compromise and say Zaw-reh or Za-reh, to me Zaw-Rae implies the second part of his name sounds like Ray, as in a Ray of light, which I do not think is correct

19 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

oh lool not this again.

6 minutes ago, irani said:

Zah-Reh for Za-reh.

Zah like Blag and Reh like Meh.

I peonounce Zare like.

Car-aye.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Zah-Reh for Za-reh.

I peonounce Zare like.

Car-aye.

The first part should be Zaw like Raw , not sure what you mean by Zah like blag

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Zah-Reh for Za-reh.

I peonounce Zare like.

Car-aye.

Yes, I think Zah-Reh and your example is pretty much right. 

For Iranians, I would say Zah-Reh, rimes with Pah-Reh (ripped). 

29 minutes ago, irani said:

The first part should be Zaw like Raw , not sure what you mean by Zah like blag

I read Zare in my head as.

Zo  Ray

Zo like zombie and Ray like death ray. 

US refused to issue visas to two Iranian wrestlers (including the current 92kg world champion Ghasempour) and to the head of the IWF, so the event is off. Not sure why the US would invite Iran then not issue visas but hey. 

Edited by The Genius

US refused to issue visas to two Iranian wrestlers (including the current 92kg world champion Ghasempour) and to the head of the IWF, so the event is off. Not sure why the US would invite Iran then not issue visas but hey. 
Yes. Dabir is an existential threat to the USA.

His thought crimes will not be tolerated in the "Land of the Free."

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, irani said:

Then you nailed it.

Completely wrong unless all wrestling commentators in Iran are saying his name wrong. This is the most highly controversial topic on this forum lol. Zo - Ray??? No

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

My apologies.  I meant Blah-Reh.

This is correct 

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Because the "US" didn't invite Iran, the US Wrestling Federation invited Iranian wrestlers?  Like Tennis Australia invited Novax Djocovid but *Australia* is the entity that allows people into Australia?

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Interesting that I don't see an actual news article talking about this cancellation. This includes on TheMat with an article talking about the Bout at the Ballpark event put up yesterday.

Perhaps they want to keep that Kubota money and mums the word...