Uwwdoc

Lineup for US team for the 12th Feb showdown vs Iran

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Interesting that I don't see an actual news article talking about this cancellation. This includes on TheMat with an article talking about the Bout at the Ballpark event put up yesterday.

I found some- googled Dabir

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/iran-news/article-695189

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/469705/The-U-S-has-yet-to-issue-visa-to-Alireza-Dabir

First article only mentions that HE doesn't get a visa but second mentions another wrestler and a coach.

8 hours ago, The Genius said:

US refused to issue visas to two Iranian wrestlers (including the current 92kg world champion Ghasempour) and to the head of the IWF, so the event is off. Not sure why the US would invite Iran then not issue visas but hey. 

US =/= USAW or Flo.  That is the US government being stupid.

Sucks.

Sad and embarrassed.  We can use sports and friendly competition to build bridges.  

I don’t have the info the US government has but not finding a way to make this event happen seems short sighted.
It's ridiculous not to issue Dabir a functional visa.

Is he an existential threat to the USA?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, cjc007 said:

It's ridiculous not to issue Dabir a functional visa.

Is he an existential threat to the USA?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Agree with you but seems like Dabir bears some of the responsibility. How hard is it not to say anything negative a few weeks before a goodwill wrestling tour. I feel bad for the wrestlers, but even more for the iranian-american community, who lose the chance to cheer on their team in their adopted home

EDIT*  - I guess I am not sure if Dabir's comments had anything to do with the Visa being denied.  It looks like there were 6 out of 35 that were denied.  I would like to know details why.  Was it just that the paperwork was incomplete when submitted?  Or were there reasons more political, such as Dabir's statement? 

Edited by Jim L

Well some of our guys may still face off with some of the Iranians at the Yasur Dogu at the end of February. This is a ranking event so I think that we should be sending a good group. 

11 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well some of our guys may still face off with some of the Iranians at the Yasur Dogu at the end of February. This is a ranking event so I think that we should be sending a good group. 

Small consolation to me.  This is nothing like a head to head competition on US soil with a good percentage of the top wrestlers from each country facing off head to head.

Agree with you but seems like Dabir bears some of the responsibility. How hard is it not to say anything negative a few weeks before a goodwill wrestling tour. I feel bad for the wrestlers, but even more for the iranian-american community, who lose the chance to cheer on their team in their adopted home

EDIT*  - I guess I am not sure if Dabir's comments had anything to do with the Visa being denied.  It looks like there were 6 out of 35 that were denied.  I would like to know details why.  Was it just that the paperwork was incomplete when submitted?  Or were there reasons more political, such as Dabir's statement? 

His comments have been talked about here in detail. He did NOT say anything negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, was he (wrongly) accused of saying that? What did he say?

no
this interview has nothing to do with this dual or wrestling in general. it was the second anniversary of Soleimani's killing and apparently it was a show talking with people about how we can keep his memory alive. and Dabir (who apparently had a kind of friendship with Soleimani) is saying whoever does his job properly is making his country better and therefore that's how we can keep his memory alive instead of just shouting "Death to America" while doing nothing else for the country
some people intentionally cut only that part of the interview and used word by word translation to make it looks like something else and it seems that worked very well for them

29 minutes ago, NJDan said:

So the Iranian chief said "Death to America" and he was denied a visa?  Thus the Iranians cancelled the match.

Is that it?

6 people, including wrestlers and a coach were denied visa.  It is difficult to correlate the visa rejection to Dabir's comments.  Why was Ghassempour denied a visa?  He did not say anything.  We all just wanted to watch him wrestle Cox again.

This is just sh*t show.  I personally think all future UWW sanctioned events should be held in countries that act rationally, that includes Canada, Japan, Australia, and excludes US, Iran, Russia, China, etc.

40 minutes ago, irani said:

6 people, including wrestlers and a coach were denied visa.  It is difficult to correlate the visa rejection to Dabir's comments.  Why was Ghassempour denied a visa?  He did not say anything.  We all just wanted to watch him wrestle Cox again.

This is just sh*t show.  I personally think all future UWW sanctioned events should be held in countries that act rationally, that includes Canada, Japan, Australia, and excludes US, Iran, Russia, China, etc.

I would like to know the US reason for denying visas, but suspect we will never get an official response. It seems unlikely that they randomly denied 6 visas. 

Probably not a lot fans showing up to an Iran v. US match in Australia :)

I am not too far away from Canada so that sounds good to me!

Edited by Jim L

23 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I really hope we can get this sh*t figured out before the World Cup. I want to see the top teams in the world compete not the top teams that the US Government doesn't have an axe to grind with. 

Well, since the two top teams are Iran and Russia (plus USA) it's hard to imagine there will be any problems at all.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

So you say that Dabir said "Don't say 'Death to America'" and people reacted by saying, "Why did he say 'Death to America.'"  Sounds about right.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

So the Iranian chief said "Death to America" and he was denied a visa?  Thus the Iranians cancelled the match.

Is that it?

The reason is not "Death to America" chant, they may want to pretend this way.

"Death to America" might be a common refrain in Tehran, but several Iranian officials and parliamentarians reportedly hold documents allowing them to live and work in the United States.

read more here:
https://www.rferl.org/a/iranian-politicians-use-green-cards-political-weapons/26833829.html

22 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Masih Alinejad is a known traitor who never wastes a moment to put Iranians down while she lives in the US and gets funded by the US State Department to run anti-Iran propaganda shows. 

I'm sure I can find some nice political propaganda tweets ****ting on the US too if that's what this thread has become. 

18 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Masih Alinejad is a known traitor who never wastes a moment to put Iranians down while she lives in the US and gets funded by the US State Department to run anti-Iran propaganda shows. 

I'm sure I can find some nice political propaganda tweets ****ting on the US too if that's what this thread has become. 

anti-Iran or anti-Islamic-Republic?