Jimmy Cinnabon

Steveson vs Lesnar - who wins?

If I was going to create a mini-tournament of collegiate Hwt greats, maybe Haselrig, Neal, Steveson, Snyder, and McCoy and a special super Hwy match of Taylor v Tab Thacker.   Lesnar might get an HM, but do not think he makes the mini-tourney from what I saw back in the day.  There might be other worthy entrants that have not come to mind.

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

NCAA champ version of Lesnar vs today's Steveson.  A battle of two Gopher Greats.  Who wins?

Chasing Superstardom: Dreams of the WWE - University of Minnesota Athletics

There were about twenty people on the dam. Most of them were simply walking and getting exercise. There were a few who were fishing. There was a family who had laid down a blanket and they were having a picnic. It was like this most days and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The problem was that nobody noticed the water leaking through the dam wall.

The only Hwt who would have a chance would be Cole Konrad, who could go upstairs and possibly get a bodylock. He rode well so he could force Gable to go neutral. I can’t remember Konrad getting taken down after freshmen year outside of the foot sweep by Mocco. I think Gable wins but a 7-3 type match. 

35 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

If Petriashvili and Akgul couldn't beat Gable, then no collegiate wrestler in history could either, regardless of the style difference. He really is on another level.

There are some interesting figures from the past.   

Chris Taylor won an Olympic bronze in the middle of his college career. Taylor had a  close match against Medved and beat Duraliev a6 time world  level silver medalist. Taylor weighed 400 lbs. 

Haselrig. 

Neal. 

Foldeak database has one event that Haselrig entered. 

He competed at U 23 worlds in Greco and got 4th. The wrestlers who outpaced him all won went on to win senior level medals. 

Of the guys that Haserlige placed ahead of listed there,  Neumueller went on to be a greco gatekeeper (Robby Smith level type) and Niels who was a roster filler for a couple senior tournaments.

I'm guessing Haserling went into this tournament cold, with maybe a camp of practice before hand.  He was facing guys who had spent at least half a decade training  greco consistently.  Not surprising that's where he placed.  

15 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Lesnar has no chance against gable but was a lot better than people in this thread are acting. He pushed Neal hard and destroyed pretty much everyone else.

Wes Hand being the one of the exceptions 

19 hours ago, HawkY said:

Foldeak database has one event that Haselrig entered. 

He competed at U 23 worlds in Greco and got 4th. The wrestlers who outpaced him all won went on to win senior level medals. 

Of the guys that Haserlige placed ahead of listed there,  Neumueller went on to be a greco gatekeeper (Robby Smith level type) and Niels who was a roster filler for a couple senior tournaments.

I'm guessing Haserling went into this tournament cold, with maybe a camp of practice before hand.  He was facing guys who had spent at least half a decade training  greco consistently.  Not surprising that's where he placed.  

I vaguely remember Haselrig trying freestyle and not being closed to making the US team. Maybe then he gave Greco a try? 

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

I vaguely remember Haselrig trying freestyle and not being closed to making the US team. Maybe then he gave Greco a try? 

Quite an illustrious class.

That is the story of how Ghaffari and Rulon got into Greco. 

Lesnar was great, but as others have pointed, Steveson is in a league of his own. After seeing what he did to Akgul and Geno (aside from some gut wrenches, he dominated this match on his feet), I don’t see how you could have anyone close to him in American folkstyle. Konrad would be the gopher of choice to put up against him, but I don’t think he would fare much better.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.