Post match, Brands said there were some rumblings about Deakin going to 165. How do we see him fairing up a weight if true?

I thought Deakin looked like a collosus when he wrestled Sorenson. Then he went up a weight and still looked huge. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised that, if he were to go up to 174 he'd make Starocci look small.

Wow. As an NU alum, ex-wrestler and fan, it's frustrating to be unable to get any news on the team. And now we hear from Brands about Deakin! I have been wondering what's going on with him. He was monstrous at CKLV, then didn't wrestle in a couple duals, wrestled against Wisconsin, the disappeared again. Thought maybe the cut was just getting to be too much, too often.

That said, I think he fits well with the top guys at 165.  I think he's a better wrestler than Marinelli, and except for Wick, who gives him trouble with reach, matches up well with the rest.

I think for him it would be a good move. I don't think there's anyone he can't beat at 165, not that I'm saying he's automatically the favorite to win it. 3 days of making 157 has got to be brutal on him and certainly not getting easier with age. I'd be curious to know what he weighs one month after he stops competing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was close to 200.

2 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Wow. As an NU alum, ex-wrestler and fan, it's frustrating to be unable to get any news on the team. And now we hear from Brands about Deakin! I have been wondering what's going on with him. He was monstrous at CKLV, then didn't wrestle in a couple duals, wrestled against Wisconsin, the disappeared again. Thought maybe the cut was just getting to be too much, too often.

That said, I think he fits well with the top guys at 165.  I think he's a better wrestler than Marinelli, and except for Wick, who gives him trouble with reach, matches up well with the rest.

Does Northwestern have a hole at 165 now?

The tough weight cut does explain Deakin's inconsistencies especially at NCAA's with 3 day weigh-ins.

Still I'm not sure he'd be as dominant at 165 this late in the season though as bumping up can take some getting used to even for guys normally large for their original weight.

28 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Does Northwestern have a hole at 165 now?

The tough weight cut does explain Deakin's inconsistencies especially at NCAA's with 3 day weigh-ins.

Still I'm not sure he'd be as dominant at 165 this late in the season though as bumping up can take some getting used to even for guys normally large for their original weight.

They have decent kids - both 2nd year- at 65 and 74, a hole at 84. Pretty solid otherwise  - if everyone wrestles. The back-up at 57 (Chumbley) is pretty good. 

When this guy closes out his career, probably gonna be 220 lb beast.  That match w/ Nolf, damn, was abusive.  Never imagined anyone would or could do that to Deakin.

Why is Brands commenting on weight other teams’ guys are going?  Why would he even have info on it?  And even if he did, that’d be kinda crappy of him because he barely even gives much info about his own team…

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Why is Brands commenting on weight other teams’ guys are going?  Why would he even have info on it?  And even if he did, that’d be kinda crappy of him because he barely even gives much info about his own team…

His feelings were hurt by Minneo spreading rumors about Lee and Kem.  He knows that things are going to be said about DeSanto and Eierman.  So it’s as simple as “this is being done to me so I’m going to do it to someone else “

That and he’s paranoid that there will be another guy in the mix to take The Bull out.

17 hours ago, Le duke said:

Watch Deakin vs Nolf from 2019. Look at how BIG he is compared to Nolf. How this man continues to make 157 is a mystery to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first 3 minutes of this match to me is one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen.  While watching it I find it hard to remember that is Ryan freaking Deakin.

15 hours ago, RED said:

When this guy closes out his career, probably gonna be 220 lb beast.  That match w/ Nolf, damn, was abusive.  Never imagined anyone would or could do that to Deakin.

I kinda forgot how quick and slick Nolf was. 

At 2:40 in the video he reminds me of Clint Eastwood... Was that five takedowns or 4?   Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself.

6 hours ago, Class said:

The first 3 minutes of this match to me is one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen.  While watching it I find it hard to remember that is Ryan freaking Deakin.

Period 3 where only the bottom wrestler is being aggressive is text book case of how the top wrestler will get called for stalling. Bottom wrestler is aggressive, top wrestler is not. Stalling.

38 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Period 3 where only the bottom wrestler is being aggressive is text book case of how the top wrestler will get called for stalling. Bottom wrestler is aggressive, top wrestler is not. Stalling.

True. But that makes awarding riding with a point completely contrary to encouraging more action.

9 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

I kinda forgot how quick and slick Nolf was. 

At 2:40 in the video he reminds me of Clint Eastwood... Was that five takedowns or 4?   Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself.

Crazy..

17 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

I’ve seen that technique quite a bit and teach it and have never seen any injuries from it. Were there problems with it?  Still legal at the HS level. 

If I recall correctly it was a favorite return technique of Vincenzo Joseph. And I don't recall anyone getting injured from it.