Sign in to follow this  
nhs67

Detroit Catholic Super Duals

4 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Key bout was St. Ed's Luke Geog beating CC's Manny Rojas (think it was 10-5).  After Rojas took third in the college Matmen tournament I didn't foresee a high school kid beating him, let alone this soundly.

Everything I've read, Geog handled him. (Here's your grain of salt.)

On 1/18/2022 at 1:46 PM, Coach_J said:

Key bout was St. Ed's Luke Geog beating CC's Manny Rojas (think it was 10-5).  After Rojas took third in the college Matmen tournament I didn't foresee a high school kid beating him, let alone this soundly.

That match starts at the 2:48 mark.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, Mphillips said:

Everything I've read, Geog handled him. (Here's your grain of salt.)

In Rojas's defense he just beat Barr at 171 a little bit ago.  189 is a lot to give up if you can make 171.  Geog looks considerably bigger and stronger.

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

No argument.

None needed.  Geog absolutely controlled the entire match.  I was amazed at how easily he kept getting in with basic double legs and kept crumpling Rojas up.  His wingspan is deadly.  He looked like he towered over Rojas.  How much is he cutting to make 189?

On 1/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, MSU158 said:

None needed.  Geog absolutely controlled the entire match.  I was amazed at how easily he kept getting in with basic double legs and kept crumpling Rojas up.  His wingspan is deadly.  He looked like he towered over Rojas.  How much is he cutting to make 189?

Not cutting, he's wrestling 175 in OH.

Edited by ssoH

1 hour ago, ssoH said:

Not cutting, he's wrestling 175 in OH.

Wow. He looked considerably larger than Rojas. Rojas just went 171 for Districts, but I am definitely surprised Geog is anywhere close to the same weight…

On 2/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, Mphillips said:

175 Division I Ohio

1. Luke Geog (St. Edward) Senior

2. Luke Vanadia (Brecksville) Junior

3. Kayden Kralik (Fremont Ross) Junior

4. Mitchell Broskie (Dublin Coffman) Senior

5. Nathan Urry (Olmsted Falls) Senior

Hey, I believed you.  I just said I was surprised because he looked so much bigger and stronger.  That isn't something you see in Rojas matches...

What is more impressive is that Rojas has beaten the 215lb D1 champ each of the last three years, bumping up.  With relative ease too.

He wrestled 189 most of the season for team purposes.  Barr wrestled 160 for the same reasons.  They both went 171 for Individual Districts.

Edited by nhs67

Barr beats Rojas at D1 Team States.  The dual was 26-21 in favor of Barr's Davison squad.  Rojas needed a tech to tie (not sure of criteria) or a pin to win it for his team. 

Barr won 4-3 with a takedown with about 40 seconds remaining and he rode hime out.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:52 PM, TBar1977 said:

Barr beat Rojas again this past wknd. 5-2 this time.

Barr looked the better wrestler, too.  Barr weighed all of 164lbs for weigh-ins for the 171lb match.

Curious if he starts adjusting for college weight and where he plans on going 

On 3/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, nhs67 said:

Barr looked the better wrestler, too.  Barr weighed all of 164lbs for weigh-ins for the 171lb match.

Wow. Did not know that. 

On 3/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, nhs67 said:

He has a very similar built to St. John(lean and lanky) and even kind of wrestles like him. I know that was also the David Taylor type college build, but he just doesn't remind me of Taylor at all when he is on the mat. With him going to PSU, I am interested to see how they cultivate his skillset.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, TBar1977 said:

Wow. Did not know that. 

Yeah.  He has the frame to fill out, just not the mass (yet), as MSU said above.

Him chasing Rojas was also quite personal. Facundo and Barr are best friends.  It wasn't just about beating him to prove who was the best in the state.  It was also about preventing him from winning a title his senior season.  He was able to do that in both team and individuals.  An ultimate win.

29 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

He has a very similar built to St. John(lean and lanky) and even kind of wrestles like him. I know that was also the David Taylor type college build, but he just doesn't remind me of Taylor at all when he is on the mat. With him going to PSU, I am interested to see how they cultivate his skillset.

I imagine we might see some form of deferred enrollment then redshirt from Barr.

The only way I don't see that is a very specific scenario of Star and Brooks moving up after Dean graduates next season.  That leaves Beard riding pine again.  That would mean Barr at 174 or Facundo at 174 with Barr/Haines at 157/165.

Two major unknowns are growth and willingness to sit.  That goes for everyone there in that lineup.  SVN was even rumored to be the guy at 157 this season prior to injury.  What if he can't hold 149?

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Yeah.  He has the frame to fill out, just not the mass (yet), as MSU said above.

Him chasing Rojas was also quite personal. Facundo and Barr are best friends.  It wasn't just about beating him to prove who was the best in the state.  It was also about preventing him from winning a title his senior season.  He was able to do that in both team and individuals.  An ultimate win.

I recall the match that led to Rojas winning last year. They called Facundo for a slam that was pretty controversial. 

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I imagine we might see some form of deferred enrollment then redshirt from Barr.

The only way I don't see that is a very specific scenario of Star and Brooks moving up after Dean graduates next season.  That leaves Beard riding pine again.  That would mean Barr at 174 or Facundo at 174 with Barr/Haines at 157/165.

Two major unknowns are growth and willingness to sit.  That goes for everyone there in that lineup.  SVN was even rumored to be the guy at 157 this season prior to injury.  What if he can't hold 149?

Pretty sure SVN will be at 149 this year. He wrestled a match at 143 not that long ago. 

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I recall the match that led to Rojas winning last year. They called Facundo for a slam that was pretty controversial. 

Without slinging too much mud what appeared to happen was someone on the coaching staff told him to get back down or stay down.  From someone who is a fan of wrestling first and DCC more than Davison - or at least then I was - it appeared to me the coaches took the free 6 as a coward's way out.  Facundo always has and always will own Rojas.  His coaches knew that and took the free 6.  The staff lost me as a fan there for a bit, even if the AT called the match and not the coaches.

They both (Facundo and Rojas) wrestled the next weekend without any problems or issues.  We are supposed to be the toughest of the tough.  The only thing we take freely are byes and forfeits.

Edited by nhs67

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Without slinging too much mud what appeared to happen was someone on the coaching staff told him to get back down or stay down.  From someone who is a fan of wrestling first and DCC more than Davison - or at least then I was - it appeared to me the coaches took the free 6 as a coward's way out.  Facundo always has and always will own Rojas.  His coaches knew that and took the free 6.  The staff lost me as a fan there for a bit, even if the AT called the match and not the coaches.

They both (Facundo and Rojas) wrestled the next weekend without any problems or issues.  We are supposed to be the toughest of the tough.  The only thing we take freely are byes and forfeits.

Hancock swears to this day that he didn't clear protocol and the Athletic Trainer made the call.  To me, I agree that it looked suspect at the time, but Hancock has pretty much been a stand up guy in my experience and he has even gone on record as doing his best to find guys to beat his by literally saying, " I haven't done my job if my wrestlers don't have at least 1 loss on their records."  

Rojas also doesn't seem like a guy that would stay down if he could help it.  It was definitely a weird situation, but I don't think anything truly nefarious went on...