Silhouette94

Ivan Yarygin Gran Prix

Is anyone excited for the Ivan Yarygin Gran Prix which starts on the 26th next week?  A week tomorrow.

It appears as though, for some reason, many of the Russian Olympians won't be attending or wrestling; apparently Uguev, Sadulaev and Kozyrev unfortunately won't wrestle; Rashidov is on vacation in Dubai.  Sidakov and Naifonov are both 50/50 and will be decided on Friday, whether they will travel to Krasnoyarsk, or not.  

Team USA to the Yarygin:

57:  Gilman

65:  Pantaleo

74:  Nolf

79:  Dieringer

86:  Valencia

97:  Snyder

21 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Snyder barely ever misses an opportunity to test his mettle. Kudos to a true competitor. 

Agreed, he rarely misses a beat.  I think he should take gold here fairly comfortably; his only challenge may be Zhabrailov, but I think Snyder will beat him.  

I don't see Nolf medaling at 74kg though, Zhamalov, Bizhoev and Gazimagomedov probably all tech-fall him.

1 hour ago, Silhouette94 said:

Agreed, he rarely misses a beat.  I think he should take gold here fairly comfortably; his only challenge may be Zhabrailov, but I think Snyder will beat him.  

Zhabrailov? Any relation to the brothers from the 90s? (I think)

19 hours ago, Silhouette94 said:

I don't see Nolf medaling at 74kg though, Zhamalov, Bizhoev and Gazimagomedov probably all tech-fall him.

Unfortunately would not be surprised by a BBQ showing. I also wouldn't be surprised if he puts it all together and makes the finals. Ultimate enigma.

Russia is so bad at 125 that people thought they had a backup at 21 worlds.

No that was legitimately their best attempt to win that weight. They can medal at 125 with a great draw, but they have no one on  the same level as the serious gold contenders. 

1 hour ago, HawkY said:

No that was legitimately their best attempt to win that weight. They can medal at 125 with a great draw, but they have no one on  the same level as the serious gold contenders. 

Geno Petriashvili will be there next week

But I agree; Kozyrev, however, their Olympic representative in Tokyo, is only 19, so I think there is a slim, but decent chance, that he can do well at 125.  

5 minutes ago, Silhouette94 said:

If Shakhiev is there, I don't think gold is much of an option for McKenna

Love McKenna, but he's never won an NCAA Championship or a Senior Nationals.  He also took 9th the last time he entered the Yarygin.  It would be a great tournament for him if he makes it on the podium.

3 hours ago, Silhouette94 said:

But I agree; Kozyrev, however, their Olympic representative in Tokyo, is only 19, so I think there is a slim, but decent chance, that he can do well at 125.  

I meant serious gold at worlds. 

Oh I didn't realize he was that young. I knew he had faced Zared at some youth thing but 19, people can jump levels in that age range. My eye test doesn't see a great champion but who knows.  I thought he looked  filled out. Sometimes you have these clumsy giants that take to 22 to get coordinated and really strong and he wasn't that.   Kozyrev apparently pinned Monk at the big exo they had recently. 

Russia is the China -table tennis  of FS so I grade them on a tough curve and 125 has not been up to their standards. 

4 hours ago, Silhouette94 said:

How old is Rashidov?

16 hours ago, HawkY said:

Let's not go casting 125kg stones in glass houses...

It'll be interesting to see how the trio at 70kg do. From Team USA's article yesterday afternoon:

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
61 kg: Thomas Gilman (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: James Green (Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Alec Pantaleo (Michigan RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Zain Retherford (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg: Jason Nolf (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg: Josh Shields (Sunkist Kids WC)
79 kg: Alex Dieringer (Michigan RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
86 kg: Zahid Valencia (Sunkist Kids WC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Ty Walz (Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Derek White (Michigan RTC/Titan Mercury WC)

45 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Nolf and Zain are above average entries for the Yariguin. The tournament is probably pumped to have them there. 

Jaroslav, will the Yarygin be on Flo this year? I didn't see it advertised anywhere on Flo. Does Flo still have the UWW contract? 

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Jaroslav, will the Yarygin be on Flo this year? I didn't see it advertised anywhere on Flo. Does Flo still have the UWW contract? 

Thanks.

It won't be on Flo. I think we should all be able to watch here. Flo will be covering it though. If we can embed the videos in an article we'll do that. Will try the best we can keeping up with results. USAW will likely have all the US results, which we will also share. 

Flo's contract with UWW runs at least through 2024, so we'll have all ranking series, championships (of various age levels and continents as well) and world cups through then. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

It won't be on Flo. I think we should all be able to watch here. Flo will be covering it though. If we can embed the videos in an article we'll do that. Will try the best we can keeping up with results. USAW will likely have all the US results, which we will also share. 

Flo's contract with UWW runs at least through 2024, so we'll have all ranking series, championships (of various age levels and continents as well) and world cups through then. 

Beautiful!