Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Best strategy when opponent drops to knees in neutral?

Question for the technicians out there. What's the best approach when your opponent drops to his knees in neutral? I know a lot of people would call this stalling, but some guys (e.g. Ferrari) shoot pretty well from there. Regardless, I'm not trying to start a debate on whether it's stalling. Just interesting in hearing what the best way of handling this.

Saw a video online of Teemer grabbing behind the knees and just bull-rushing Monday when he did this - I guess that's one approach, but he's also been blessed with long arms. It's got to be a disadvantaged position in some regards, right - limited lateral mobility and all?

I didn't wrestle in college really (only club) so am interested to see the intelligent responses.  From my youth training, if someone had a stance which was too bent over, we were trained to snap down and go for a front headlock as one of the primary options. 

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Question for the technicians out there. What's the best approach when your opponent drops to his knees in neutral? I know a lot of people would call this stalling, but some guys (e.g. Ferrari) shoot pretty well from there.

watch Ferrari's last match against Columbia, he went to his two knee attack late in 2nd or early 3rd period when his opponent wouldn't do anything from standing position, he got the pin mid 3rd so hardly stalling.  Likewise against Buchanan WY pretty sure Buchanan went there first, Ferrari later to set up other options, hardly stalling in either case.  Simmons use to use this a lot, with his long arms trying to set up his front head lock from a different position, everyone knew it was coming so he used different positions to set it up.  

The “basic” answer is to get to a front headlock/short offense but knee wrestlers are very used to that. My college coaches had us actually go for the other guys wrists and either climb up his arms to the front headlock or force him to stand up up into the tie. Or if he’s posting one hand go 2 on 1 baseball grip 

33 minutes ago, Wrestle81 said:

Stay in your stance in the middle of the mat...

The other wrestler is stalling

Is there a way to capitalize on this position though? By going to his knees, does he disadvantage himself in any way?

1 hour ago, ionel said:

watch Ferrari's last match against Columbia, he went to his two knee attack late in 2nd or early 3rd period when his opponent wouldn't do anything from standing position, he got the pin mid 3rd so hardly stalling.  Likewise against Buchanan WY pretty sure Buchanan went there first, Ferrari later to set up other options, hardly stalling in either case.  Simmons use to use this a lot, with his long arms trying to set up his front head lock from a different position, everyone knew it was coming so he used different positions to set it up.  

To be clear, what I initially said was it's not stalling the way some guys do it and Ferrari was my example. I'm not trying to get into a debate on whether it's stalling. Just asking about best way to wrestle someone who does this.

So, the first time I faced someone that dropped to both knees were in high school. I wrestled 170, and what I was told was to bull rush them if they are on their knees. 

Long story short I got thrown to my back...... Didnt get pinned but gave up 5 points. 

I like the approach that was mentioned here, to stay in the middle because the other guy is stalling. 

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

To be clear, what I initially said was it's not stalling the way some guys do it and Ferrari was my example. I'm not trying to get into a debate on whether it's stalling. Just asking about best way to wrestle someone who does this.

Prob depends on the opponent.  I think part of Simmons strategy was to get his opponent to go down to knees so he could use his quickness to jump on the front headlock.  So maybe best strategy stay on two feet, continue to circle back around middle of mat and protect from any leg attack.

With Ferrari he can attack the legs from there so if you are quick enough like Buchanan maybe you want to go down to knees and defend.  If you are not quick then Mr. Fasttwitch is going to get you anyway.  I don't think Dean should go down their but Ferrari might not even use it against Dean.

1 hour ago, wrstlingfan937 said:

So, the first time I faced someone that dropped to both knees were in high school. I wrestled 170, and what I was told was to bull rush them if they are on their knees. 

Long story short I got thrown to my back...... Didnt get pinned but gave up 5 points. 

I like the approach that was mentioned here, to stay in the middle because the other guy is stalling. 

The opponent is going to inch forward, so this approach is procrastinating.