38 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Isn't ageism a legitimate prejudice? Like if you are looking for someone who can run fast you should discriminate based on age in both the lower and upper strata?

No. If they don't meet the minimum requirements, then its reasonable. The prejudice comes in when it is lacks reason, and is instead based on an unreasonable dislike for a group.

34 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No. If they don't meet the minimum requirements, then its reasonable. The prejudice comes in when it is lacks reason, and is instead based on an unreasonable dislike for a group.

Whataya mean? if I had to hire a 12 year old or a 100 year old to drive a car, how do I avoid your barbs?

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I actually thought of listing DeSanto but didn’t want to sound like an Iowa homer (I’m not even a fan).  I just don’t see him beating both RBY and Fix this season which he’d probably have to do.  Maybe 1 of them though.  So I’d still put Eierman as a better chance than him IMO.   I dunno, for some reason I could even envision all 3 of the guys I listed winning it and going out on top.

Logically you're correct about Eierman.  He doesn't have the almost certain back to back Fix/RBY problem.  And he did beat Lee and then only lost to him in OT in March last year.  

But Eierman really is off his game and there is a suspicion that other teams are game planning him.  Whereas I really liked what I saw with DeSanto the last couple of weeks.  Sat on the bench, no sign of an attitude, looks like they worked it out, wrestled beautifully Sunday and his comportment was striking -- sportsmanlike with the ref and his opponent, while not seeming to have dropped a single bit in intensity. Obviously that's easier in a blowout than under the pressure cooker of a tight important match, but I thought I saw something there.  

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Whataya mean? if I had to hire a 12 year old or a 100 year old to drive a car, how do I avoid your barbs?

"to drive a car" was not in your last post. Where did that come from? C'mon man - stay focused.

First thing to realize is that prejudice is a significant problem that is likely impossible to fix. It's like crime - it would be great if we could eliminate it, but that won't happen.
The best we can do is to choose to not participate in either. And, also, to do what we can to help others choose not to participate either.
People will defend prejudice ("Black quarterbacks will never be successful in the NFL", etc.), and defend crime ("If I don't sell drugs, someone else will - so I might as well make the money", etc.)  Wasted effort. "Legitimate" prejudice is right down there with "legitimate" criminals. 

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

"to drive a car" was not in your last post. Where did that come from? C'mon man - stay focused.

First thing to realize is that prejudice is a significant problem that is likely impossible to fix. It's like crime - it would be great if we could eliminate it, but that won't happen.
The best we can do is to choose to not participate in either. And, also, to do what we can to help others choose not to participate either.
People will defend prejudice ("Black quarterbacks will never be successful in the NFL", etc.), and defend crime ("If I don't sell drugs, someone else will - so I might as well make the money", etc.)  Wasted effort. "Legitimate" prejudice is right down there with "legitimate" criminals. 

i've never seen more words in a smaller thought

On 1/22/2022 at 12:35 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Ageism is applicable to any age group. Being prejudice against old people is no better or worse than being prejudice against young people. Both are ageist.

The only point you roughly made is that you are prejudice against those that are "butthurt" ... makes some sense. Those that use that word are generally not terribly bright.

You mean to say that people who use a certain word, often associated with younger people and not used by older ones, are not terribly bright?? Ageism!!! How dare you!!

Like someone said. Only people who overreact to “boomer” are fragile suburban dads who are so sensitive they jump on any chance to join the oppression Olympics whilst claiming to despise it 

12 hours ago, drag it said:

Logically you're correct about Eierman.  He doesn't have the almost certain back to back Fix/RBY problem.  And he did beat Lee and then only lost to him in OT in March last year.  

But Eierman really is off his game and there is a suspicion that other teams are game planning him.  Whereas I really liked what I saw with DeSanto the last couple of weeks.  Sat on the bench, no sign of an attitude, looks like they worked it out, wrestled beautifully Sunday and his comportment was striking -- sportsmanlike with the ref and his opponent, while not seeming to have dropped a single bit in intensity. Obviously that's easier in a blowout than under the pressure cooker of a tight important match, but I thought I saw something there.  

You don't think a Rivera/Lee back-to-back would be equivalent to a Fix/RBY back-to-back? I ask because the Rivera I saw this year looked pretty jacked and is absolutely mowing down everything in front of him. And Lee has picked up right where he left off last year.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, Lurker said:

As the season wears on I’m seeing a strong possibility Iowa doesn’t finish on the podium. 

This is unlikely, but certainly possible. They would need to lose another one of their high placer type guys for this to happen. 

They have 10 AA potentials, but 125, 149, 157 and 184 could easily miss the podium. Even 165, 197 and 285 are at risk with bad draws. 

They would have to fall apart, but OSU, NC State, Missouri and ASU are all close enough to Iowa to overtake them. 

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You don't think a Rivera/Lee back-to-back would be equivalent to a Fix/RBY back-to-back? I ask because the Rivera I saw this year looked pretty jacked and is absolutely mowing down everything in front of him. And Lee has picked up right where he left off last year.

Hadn't seen Rivera this year and probably have been (inaccurately) discounting him based on his work last year which wasn't up to his previous standards.  

That said I think Fix and RBY are a small but real bit better than Lee/Rivera.  To your point though they are plenty plenty good enough that Eierman definitely won't beat them unless he gets back to his prior level.

8 hours ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

You mean to say that people who use a certain word, often associated with younger people and not used by older ones, are not terribly bright?? Ageism!!! How dare you!!

Maybe you associate vulgarity with younger people. I don't. Either way is fine with me. 

“I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullsh**.”  -Mel Brooks

7 hours ago, jp157 said:

Like someone said. Only people who overreact to “boomer” are fragile suburban dads who are so sensitive they jump on any chance to join the oppression Olympics whilst claiming to despise it 

I point something out. Some that don't agree get worked up and start calling me fragile and sensitive and much worse. Some claim I'm overreacting and all matter of negative commentary. Some blow a gasket and fake quote me about going to jail, etc. Really a lot of interesting responses, some are actually pretty creative.

Strange. I'm not emotional about any of it. I feel no need to convince any of them to agree with me at all. I'm cool as a cucumber. 

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Is it an -ism if I say this thread is getting really old?

And, no, I do not really care what the answer is.

Tell me about it. It's gotten tedious.

It appears the -ism thing is hard to let go. I've been over it for quite a while. It just keeps coming back.

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is but at least Eierman has beaten Lee before.  DeSanto has never beaten Fix and his wins over RBY seem like ancient history.

11 hours ago, jp157 said:

You expect someone other than the object of derision to react?  Teenagers, maybe?  So millennial/genx/genz, it is cliche. :)

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I point something out. Some that don't agree get worked up and start calling me fragile and sensitive and much worse. Some claim I'm overreacting and all matter of negative commentary. Some blow a gasket and fake quote me about going to jail, etc. Really a lot of interesting responses, some are actually pretty creative.

Strange. I'm not emotional about any of it. I feel no need to convince any of them to agree with me at all. I'm cool as a cucumber. 

Ah yes you so chill and over it. Like totes

25 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

You expect someone other than the object of derision to react?  Teenagers, maybe?  So millennial/genx/genz, it is cliche. :)

I’ve only seen a very specific type of boomer react to it the way I’m describing