Perry

Flo Wrestling - What Value is Left?

I have been a paying customer of flo for years now. Never really second guessed the cost bc it was always worth it for the content they were providing. Does anyone else feel like the value has taken a massive nose dive in the last year though? No great meets hosted and the current offer of "watch parties" feels lazy at best. When was the last big documentary? The next big event they will be covering? Just seems like it's not worth the money anymore but maybe I'm missing something. 

They have all the US nationals and world team trials. It was missing last year because the US nationals was at a weird time and the Olympic Trials are owned by NBC. Plus, any tournament that ran its video on a pay-per-event through Track is now accessible with Flo. It stinks that they lost the BTN partnership, but I still think it's worth it for events like CKLV and the Scuffle. There are also the shows like FRL and Bader's show, depending on if you're interested in that. I don't know if I'm a typical customer, as I use Flo almost exclusively for live events and don't care about the rest. 

Agree big nosedive and currently not worth the price. The Worlds/Olympics and qualifiers is the only big value. If you want to watch college you are better of with BTN+ or ESPN+. Even Rokfin is a better value because you can cancel when it is out of season. 

There was a thread like this a while ago with someone asking about getting back into watching wrestling and figuring out what services to check out. I think if you're into college wrestling, you're better off with cable services like BTN and ESPN. Everything else though -- youth & HS wrestling and the olympic styles - Flo's the number one choice right now. Hopefully that'll change; I'd love to see USA Wrestling or someone on Rokfin meet the standard that Flo set before, but I'm not holding my breath. Livestreaming and content creation isn't easy or cheap.

Honestly, FloSports business aside, it's a great subscription package -- $15 a month with built in bracketing, a huge archive, and a decently sized staff that's committed to unprecedented coverage for a fringe sport that often gets little to no mainstream coverage after the college season. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I have Rokfin and espn+ too. Flo alone doesn’t give me my wrestling fix anymore, since losing the Big10 contract. 

with that said, I do consume a ton of Flo content and definitely get my money’s worth. 

Same here plus B1G+.  There is no where to see all the content in one place. International wrestling is enough reason to have FLO for me. They have also have had their share of college wrestling so far.

Pretty big college dual meet is going to be on Flo on Feb 12. But I'm not here to convince anyone to subscribe. If the price isn't worth it for you, you should definitely spend your buck fifty elsewhere!

Might also be worth point out that to get the best duals, you're going to need a cable subscription that includes BTN and the ESPN channels. BTN has dozens of the best dual meets and the Championship finals which you won't be able to see with a BTN+ subscription. ESPN will also pull a dual or two from the ACC and Big 12 off ESPN+ and put them on their family of channels. You can do a YouTubeTV of HULU Live monthly for like $70 I think. 

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Those watch parties are lame.  Why would anyone waste time or money watching a bunch of aged out frat boys watch wrestling?

Not an uncommon complaint I've heard about the watch parties! I wouldn't think to do them myself but the concept is pretty big successful for YouTube and Twitch other media companies & platforms so I don't think they'll go away anytime soon. Also this probably makes it worse but not many actual frat boys here at Flo. I'm surrounded by GDIs. It's stolen fraternal valor imo. 

Anyway, good news is no one will force you to participate in the watch parties and they don't add any cost to your Flo subscription. 

If Flo had a $15 monthly option (like they used to have), then I think the value would be there. 

But being forced into the annual only? I don't see it. BTN+'s pricing model (and value proposition) is vastly better.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

Flo Wrestling - What Value is Left?

Their enterprise value is whatever it is PLUS the imputed value of the slim possibility that I might someday re enroll, which by my estimation is somewhere between a 0.0 and 0.1 percent chance.  Actually, it is not that high. Just sayin. 

In addition to what has already been stated, keep in mind that the flo pro sub also gets you access to their other verticals. For me though, the only other Flo channel that interests me is Flograppling. There is some good stuff there. Obviously this "perk" might just not move the needle at all in terms of perceived value for some 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

In addition to what has already been stated, keep in mind that the flo pro sub also gets you access to their other verticals. For me though, the only other Flo channel that interests me is Flograppling. There is some good stuff there. Obviously this "perk" might just not move the needle at all in terms of perceived value for some 

Flo Cycling!!  Who doesn't want to sit down for a 6+ hour bike race, all kinds of dynamics & strategy going on in the peloton.  The cost per hr is ridiculously low, you'll spend more $/hr on coffee or beer, you might even start with coffee and finish with beer.  :-)

I dont like the flo yearly subscription but look at for example the IA v OSU - USA v Iran event, well worth the full price for that event when compared to what its gonna cost to be there in person.  Although being there in person worth the cost.  

32 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

If Flo had a $15 monthly option (like they used to have), then I think the value would be there. 

But being forced into the annual only? I don't see it. BTN+'s pricing model (and value proposition) is vastly better.

Great take.

15*12=174

Yearly of $150

$174 <$150 right?

That makes about as much sense as your take on Cassman trying to murder Wolfman.

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Great take.

15*12=174

Yearly of $150

$174 <$150 right?

That makes about as much sense as your take on Cassman trying to murder Wolfman.

On the chance that you weren't just joking around, your math sucks and the idea of a *monthly* subscription is to have it only for the months you want it, not for the whole year.

1 minute ago, klehner said:

On the chance that you weren't just joking around, your math sucks and the idea of a *monthly* subscription is to have it only for the months you want it, not for the whole year.

That's just tedious.

You save money by getting the yearly.

Also, I was joking.  I get it.

flo has almost everything you'd want to watch on the international styles side of things and enough folk to make it well worth it. i don't consume hardly anything on flo that isn't a live event but there are other sites with good editorial things that you basically have to have to fulfill your appetite for all live things. 

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

you sound like my wife when she claims she saved me money, but I somehow always have less.

potentiallydangerous got the great deal there, he prob saves so much with his wife that he can afford every streaming service on the planet.  :)

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

Flo Cycling!!  Who doesn't want to sit down for a 6+ hour bike race, all kinds of dynamics & strategy going on in the peloton.  The cost per hr is ridiculously low, you'll spend more $/hr on coffee or beer, you might even start with coffee and finish with beer.  :-)

My uncle actually likes to watch cycling events and tries to "keep up" with the athletes on his indoor machine. I love outdoor biking. Never got the appeal of indoor cycling though. I think you might be onto something, however. One of these days I'll crack open a few bottles of wine, turn on a flocycling event, and try to see how long I can keep up on my machine before tipping over. Great value!

I subscribe to BTN+ and ESPN+ and get access to ACC and BTN through my cable.  I subscribe to Rokfin whenever there is an event and cancel afterwards.   Flo is the only service I don't currently subscribe to.  I don't miss much but there are some tournaments like the Scuffle which are good.  If Flo offered the opportunity to PPV, they would have received my money already.  

Separately I also think the watch parties are somewhat interesting to me.  I know its not for everyone but I think it makes sense to have the option.  

If I was a subscriber to Flo, I would ask myself whether the cost was reduced after losing the B1G contract.  If not the customer is facing a much worse value proposition all of the sudden. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

My uncle actually likes to watch cycling events and tries to "keep up" with the athletes on his indoor machine. I love outdoor biking. Never got the appeal of indoor cycling though. I think you might be onto something, however. One of these days I'll crack open a few bottles of wine, turn on a flocycling event, and try to see how long I can keep up on my machine before tipping over. Great value!

I only do indoor smart trainer in the winter when <40f and primarily structured workouts an occasional race.  Its all about off season training.  Tried to watch wrestling earlier this year, doesn't work for me, I need to see the trainer image & data to stay focused on the workout.  Same with watching a pro race, I want to sit down on couch with morning coffee & enjoy the strategy not mess it up with my own training.  But that's just me, I never ran with music or listening to sports, needed to focus/hear breathing, heart rate, & enjoy the outdoors.  

I subscribe to BTN+ and ESPN+ and get access to ACC and BTN through my cable.  I subscribe to Rokfin whenever there is an event and cancel afterwards.   Flo is the only service I don't currently subscribe to.  I don't miss much but there are some tournaments like the Scuffle which are good.  If Flo offered the opportunity to PPV, they would have received my money already.  
Separately I also think the watch parties are somewhat interesting to me.  I know its not for everyone but I think it makes sense to have the option.  
If I was a subscriber to Flo, I would ask myself whether the cost was reduced after losing the B1G contract.  If not the customer is facing a much worse value proposition all of the sudden. 
That's an interesting question about the price after losing BTN, but the price also didn't increase, I don't believe, when they added BTN for that short while.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk