Perry

Flo Wrestling - What Value is Left?

47 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I subscribe to BTN+ and ESPN+ and get access to ACC and BTN through my cable.  I subscribe to Rokfin whenever there is an event and cancel afterwards.   Flo is the only service I don't currently subscribe to.  I don't miss much but there are some tournaments like the Scuffle which are good.  If Flo offered the opportunity to PPV, they would have received my money already.  

Separately I also think the watch parties are somewhat interesting to me.  I know its not for everyone but I think it makes sense to have the option.  

If I was a subscriber to Flo, I would ask myself whether the cost was reduced after losing the B1G contract.  If not the customer is facing a much worse value proposition all of the sudden. 

This is a good point and a place where I think they are missing it on the business/revenue model.  If Flo offered a PPV of say $50 to $75 for the Iran, USA, IA, OSU event, I think they'd get a lot of add on viewers.  I think they'd increase revenue with a 1/3 yr, ppv big events & annual price model.  Make college season 1/3 (Dec-Mar), the trials to summer 1/3, then Fall last 3rd.  Should have different type events each third.  Buy a 3rd package 50% of annual, 2/3 for 75% annual.  Then sell the big events as ppv ~30-50% of 3rd package, depending on number of big events.  Now the key is to actually have rights to enough events to be worthwhile vs a StoneGill monthly package.

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Pretty big college dual meet is going to be on Flo on Feb 12. But I'm not here to convince anyone to subscribe. If the price isn't worth it for you, you should definitely spend your buck fifty elsewhere!

Might also be worth point out that to get the best duals, you're going to need a cable subscription that includes BTN and the ESPN channels. BTN has dozens of the best dual meets and the Championship finals which you won't be able to see with a BTN+ subscription. ESPN will also pull a dual or two from the ACC and Big 12 off ESPN+ and put them on their family of channels. You can do a YouTubeTV of HULU Live monthly for like $70 I think. 

Not an uncommon complaint I've heard about the watch parties! I wouldn't think to do them myself but the concept is pretty big successful for YouTube and Twitch other media companies & platforms so I don't think they'll go away anytime soon. Also this probably makes it worse but not many actual frat boys here at Flo. I'm surrounded by GDIs. It's stolen fraternal valor imo. 

Anyway, good news is no one will force you to participate in the watch parties and they don't add any cost to your Flo subscription. 

“I am not here to convince anyone to subscribe” but see below for me trying to justify the cost and convince people to subscribe.

3 hours ago, Newbie123 said:

“I am not here to convince anyone to subscribe” but see below for me trying to justify the cost and convince people to subscribe.

Just here to provide accurate information. if that happens to convince someone to subscribe to Flo then it's just a coincidence! ;-)

I canceled my flo subscription this year after being a subscriber for many many years.  Sadly just not enough value left any more.  The big thing is that they've lost the broadcast rights to most of the major events/duals that they used to have.  And on top of that the tournaments they still have have gone from must watch marquee events to "who cares" due to the continued de-emphasis of the regular season within the sport. 

I used to take time off work to catch the first day of the scuffle and this year I think I watched 1-2 matches in total on replay.  Almost none of the top guys were there and I just didn't care.  I've drifted more and more away from being a superfan, which is partly due to me, but partly because the sport continues to get less compelling.

Why should I care about a regular season match when it has no stakes and coaches aren't even starting the best guys most of the time? When I started following the sport that was not the normal culture.  I remember people being held out against Cole Konrad and that was an exception and a big deal.  I just checked the box scores from this past week and see that in Rutgers vs PSU the most compelling matchup didn't happen because Lee didn't show against Rivera.  It's possible there is some totally legitimate reason, but my guess is that Cael felt like he could win the dual and held out Lee to protect seeding.  And its sad that is my first thought and not "What's wrong with Lee, I hope he's OK" but there is way too much precedent at this point.

I'm at the point where I feel like I'll tune in for conference championships and NCAAs because its the only time I'm confident top guys will show up to wrestle each other

Right after I typed this I saw that V-Tech's entire team didn't show up to wrestle NC State... Which is exactly why I didn't bother marking my calendar and trying to watch.  Why bother? 

I get that COVID is a big factor as well and that's not something coaches and program's can control, but it doesn't change how much less compelling it makes the sport.  Who cares about the ACC conference race now that the top two teams aren't even going to wrestle each other?

I pay for all things wrestling to support the sport but at some point somethings got to give, it's becoming too expensive.  I pay for Flo, Big 10+, Rockfin, ESPN+, Fubo TV for cable so I can have the Big 10 network and I have season tickets for Rutgers even though I live 3 hours away and can only go to a couple of their duals.  Now with the added ppv cost for Rockfin with along to subscribing to their site it feels like a kick in the balls and I'm sure Flo is going to start doing the same thing when they have big events.

Since this was made about Flo, I will say that I have been a subscriber for years but definitely feel that there is MUCH less value now for $150 then there used to be, not to mention the constant problems with their site when they actually do have a big even (Oklahoma State vs Penn State etc etc) and I will definitely consider not renewing in March when my subscription is up.  As much as I can't wait to see USA/Iran and Oklahoma State vs Iowa, are they going to be able to handle it this time?  That is a legitimate question and if there are problems again I am definitely out

All that said, I can't wait to sit at home tonight in front of the fireplace on a Friday night and watch Penn State vs Michigan, Iowa vs Ohio State, Nebraska vs Wisconsin and NC State vs Va Tech

22 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

I pay for all things wrestling to support the sport but at some point somethings got to give, it's becoming too expensive.  I pay for Flo, Big 10+, Rockfin, ESPN+, Fubo TV for cable so I can have the Big 10 network and I have season tickets for Rutgers even though I live 3 hours away and can only go to a couple of their duals.  Now with the added ppv cost for Rockfin with along to subscribing to their site it feels like a kick in the balls and I'm sure Flo is going to start doing the same thing when they have big events.

Since this was made about Flo, I will say that I have been a subscriber for years but definitely feel that there is MUCH less value now for $150 then there used to be, not to mention the constant problems with their site when they actually do have a big even (Oklahoma State vs Penn State etc etc) and I will definitely consider not renewing in March when my subscription is up.  As much as I can't wait to see USA/Iran and Oklahoma State vs Iowa, are they going to be able to handle it this time?  That is a legitimate question and if there are problems again I am definitely out

All that said, I can't wait to sit at home tonight in front of the fireplace on a Friday night and watch Penn State vs Michigan, Iowa vs Ohio State, Nebraska vs Wisconsin and NC State vs Va Tech

Unfortunately, NC State and V-Tech is cancelled, but Penn State Michigan will be epic

Another decline is Technique Wave - many years ago, that's what you were paying for.

I don't think the flo people paid the wrestlers, just asked them to show things and now they do Fantastic Wrestling where they do get paid.

What was Technique Wave is now Flo training videos.  It's either showing wrestlers (often HS wrestlers) warming up before a match.  Or it's one person showing technique - Mike Mal.  

22 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Another decline is Technique Wave - many years ago, that's what you were paying for.

I don't think the flo people paid the wrestlers, just asked them to show things and now they do Fantastic Wrestling where they do get paid.

What was Technique Wave is now Flo training videos.  It's either showing wrestlers (often HS wrestlers) warming up before a match.  Or it's one person showing technique - Mike Mal.  

everyone got paid, and all the technique is still there, plus more every year. just search for a move or a wrestler and it will appear like magic. its just not called technique wave anymore. 

29 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

everyone got paid, and all the technique is still there, plus more every year. just search for a move or a wrestler and it will appear like magic. its just not called technique wave anymore. 

So pay to watch technique videos you have already watched from years ago?  If Netflix or any other paid site stopped putting up new content, subscribers would leave.  I've seen all of the old ones.  They had some good stuff early and now the quality of those videos are bad compared to the HD videos that Fantastic Wrestling makes

Looks to me like it's been a year and a half since someone other than Mike Mal put a series of techque videos up.  

There was posting here (years ago) where people said the wrestlers were not paid for showing those moves.  Hopefully a poster here like Tirapelle who has videos up will post and say if he was paid for his.  

Watching the 5 of levels of the PIAA tournament last year was worthwhile. However a a ppv for the 2 championships in a normal year would sure make people happier with the PIAA

On 1/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, nhs67 said:

Great take.

15*12=174

Yearly of $150

$174 <$150 right?

That makes about as much sense as your take on Cassman trying to murder Wolfman.

hmmmm.....15 x 12 = 174?........ok

9 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

All that said, I can't wait to sit at home tonight in front of the fireplace on a Friday night and watch Penn State vs Michigan, Iowa vs Ohio State, Nebraska vs Wisconsin

That does put things in perspective! (Something that would have been impossible not that many years ago.)

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That does put things in perspective! (Something that would have been impossible not that many years ago.)

But... still... Flo - switch up your pricing options to include a monthly or at least quarterly option.

There aren't enough hardcore wrestling fans out there who want everything. Open it up to regular wrestling folks who just want to follow the collegiate season for pete's sake.

website format completely changed. Now corporate looking with lists. homepage just shows  featured events and live and upcoming. well no **** i'll click on the arena for that why are you taking up premium homepage for that ? ...Used to be more like a community 247 forum homepage - articles, latest events, interviews, hot stove news

also all the talent left. no zeb miller and no willie - flo radiolive now sucks and they have no interviewers at the live events that bring the goods. Flo used to be great for the up close and personal interviews and stuff - now it blows.