Sign in to follow this  
nom

Can we make huge matchups happen

We all saw the excitement and energy generated in the buildup, execution and aftermath of Taylor vs Dake. All three times in college wrestling. I think we all believe the sport is better off due to these two wrestlers. I give a ton of credit to both and I thank them for it.

I'd love to see other huge matchups happen.

At this point we know that 165 field will be beat handily by Taylor.

Many think Howe will prance through 174.

And we know Ruth will easily hand 184.

Predictions are for Logan S. and Maple will meet this year but Maple doesn't have the aura to make this a huge huge match.

I am hoping that somehow, the powers that be, are able to swing a Howe vs Ruth or a Taylor vs Howe match at some point. If no one is willing to go up or down a full weight class, can someone allow a catch weight match at all-star? Perhaps at 170 or at 180?

I know this will be tough but the sport will benefit in a big way.

Thanks again to Dake for making the move up.

Very few guys historically have displayed the brass balls of Kyle Dake. I can only think of Ben Askren in recent times.

So I think the answer to your question is no, we cannot make huge matchups happen, though we can certainly wish for them. I think Stieber vs. Maple would get a lot of attention, especially now that Maple is an NCAA champ.

I'm pretty comfortable with Kendric Maple's aura being able to generate substantial interest.

Many people would like to see Maple vs. L. Stieber, myself included....so I love the idea

of them meeting at a catch weight of say 145 at the All-Star...so the gain/loss of weight could

be somewhat minimized...although it does seem that Stieber has the bigger hurdle going up

from 133 and then back down to 141. And again, this presumes Maple is wrestling at 149 next

year which seems likely.

Also, by doing it at a catch weight you remove some of the stigma associated to the eventual loser

of the match given that it was not held at an official NCAA weight classification. I know everyone

says that the All-Star results don't "count"...but I do believe rankers cannot help but be influenced

by these results to some degree.

I've actually thought about this a lot lately. There is one way to get athletes to perform that works in other sports quite well: pay them. Now of course this approach has several limitations. Given NCAA rules, this isn't possible until the athletes in question graduate. It's also an open question as to whether people will pay much money to see match ups. One possible solution is to use the "money bomb" approach. Propose a match. Set up the format (folkstyle, freestyle, greco, best of three, etc.). Set a weight (standard, catch weight, etc.). Make a fundraising goal to make it happen ($2500, $5000), post it online, and see what people want. If the money is raised, the match happens. If not, anybody that put money in gets a refund. You could also have a separate auction for mat side seats. If something like this ever happened, I'd like to see overhead kept low so the athletes get the most money possible. Maybe added on the end of a big college dual. Now $2500 doesn't seem like a lot of money in comparison to what MMA guys are getting, but there is also no danger of getting punched in the face.

Slightly off topic but I would like the U's to put in a 12 or 18 pt FF (no not Med FF) for duals so the coaches would wrestle all the matches. Also like to see major seed penalty for avoiding match-ups, taking the coaches options out of the dual format and the indies where guys who lose in CB drop out. AND yes I do recognize there would be enforcement issues but only for the crooks and cheaters. Fortunately there aren't very many in the ranks.

How can you enforce that? If a kid tells the trainer he is sick or injured then it will go down as a med forfeit no matter what the truth is.

And if a coach has no kid to even fill a spot say at a smaller college (maybe one of the harder to get into schools) how can you penalize him more for that? They already take the 6 as if there was a pin against his team during duals. In that situation there would be no huge match up to be ducking in the first place. Taking that many pts from small wrestling programs that may have troubling always filling every spot will just about guarantee they lose every dual meet... that cannot be good for teams who may be on the AD's chopping block.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant?...

If you have a starter and you avoid big points. If you have no one on roster at wgt no issue, in fact probably a 6 pt penalty is too much penalty for schools who can't even field a full team. I do think that is very rare but my info is anecdotal not fact based in this instance.. The intent here is to prevent guys from gaming the system. No rule set will stop cheaters.

A very good example is the wgt issue. If we were serious about rule violation there would be mat side weigh-ins. Wrestler misses send out 2nd stringer or DQ if no 2nd.. Unfortunately, in some cases, there are too many wink, wink and nod to rules. I would rather watch the best wrestler rather than the best wgt cutter but I also recognize that the practice in ingrained into the sport. It is often easier to teach methods of cutting than great technique and it can take less work on the competitor's side. JO this season did not grow two wgt classes yet with the exception of Houdasheldt, Ness and Chamberlain he pretty much destroyed the field. If you know him you will know he looked sucked out at the end of the previous season. No diss. He made the choice and i'm not questioning his motives .I'm also not trying to detract, by implication, from a great win by Stieber