South Dakota State over Mizzou

4 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Funny thing is that the announcers said O’Toole was not sick or injured.  Karma for Smith sitting his best guy for a home dual.

Also, Hart beat Carlson by decision. 

Smith has overtrained the team. It's obvious. The entire team looked gassed by the second period. I think he knows this and was sitting three starters to compensate. 

2 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Funny thing is that the announcers said O’Toole was not sick or injured.  Karma for Smith sitting his best guy for a home dual.

Yeah I guess it may not really be a duck because he was a heavy favorite, but it’s crazy that coaches are essentially losing duals because of resting guys.  

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

21-12

Nevills over Elam

Sloan over Elam

King over Kent

No O’Toole.  Even if he pinned it would have been a tie, but Mizzou may have had criteria.

first conference loss since 2017

ahh ... pretty sure the just joined the conference this year.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I guess it may not really be a duck because he was a heavy favorite, but it’s crazy that coaches are essentially losing duals because of resting guys.  

so you haven't heard of this covid thing?

23 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Smith has overtrained the team. It's obvious. The entire team looked gassed by the second period. I think he knows this and was sitting three starters to compensate. 

It's obvious to....?  I'm guessing Smith, that's why he sat 3 starters?  Then someone (Smith?) figured out he overworked them when they were gassed by the 2nd period?  I'm confused.  He overworked them so he had to sit them for a conference dual?  Brian Smith is a better coach than that.  Maybe I'm missing something...

Edited by BerniePragle

6 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

It's obvious to....?  I'm guessing Smith, that's why he sat 3 starters?  Then someone (Smith?) figured out he overworked them when they were gassed by the 2nd period?  I'm confused.  He overworked them so he had to sit them for a conference dual?  Brian Smith is a better coach than that.  Maybe I'm missing something...

We were off all month until this past Thursday at Oklahoma. The team got home early Friday morning. 

Smith clearly was trying to rest some starters because the lineup that wrestled Thursday was competing on a short turnaround. We tried to wrestle 5 backups today. That’s not a fluke. Clearly something is off with the conditioning of the team. 

23 minutes ago, ionel said:

so you haven't heard of this covid thing?

Did you read what he was responding g to? Announcers said he wasn’t injured or sick. 

38 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Did you see the post above saying he wasn’t sick or injured?

Was reply to your reply not his, you were talking about coaches in general this year.

"crazy that coaches are essentially losing duals because of resting guys."

4 minutes ago, Chucktown_Luke said:

Hopefully this is a sign that Sloan is back to fill health and has his weight under control. He’s a top level talent. 

Elam was the only one attacking. I'm chalking this up as a fluke.

10 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

We were off all month until this past Thursday at Oklahoma. The team got home early Friday morning. 

Smith clearly was trying to rest some starters because the lineup that wrestled Thursday was competing on a short turnaround. We tried to wrestle 5 backups today. That’s not a fluke. Clearly something is off with the conditioning of the team. 

it's hard after a lay off.

nebraska looked bad vs. purdue and iowa flat against Minn. it happens. 

13 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

That’s not a fluke. Clearly something is off with the conditioning of the team. 

8 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Elam was the only one attacking. I'm chalking this up as a fluke.

Hmmm....

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

Was reply to your reply not his, you were talking about coaches in general this year.

"crazy that coaches are essentially losing duals because of resting guys."

Well this match being one example…

But pretty sure it’s happened elsewhere this year too and not always Covid-related.  ASU and Kordell Norfleet is one that comes to mind unless he’s injured.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well this match being one example…

But pretty sure it’s happened elsewhere this year too and not always Covid-related.  ASU and Kordell Norfleet is one that comes to mind unless he’s injured.

Coaches are judged by NCAA performance. For years, Mizzou has overperformed during the dual season and underperformed at Nationals.

I think duals are the way to grow the sport, but I also understand resting starters. The problem is college coaches refuse to go to one semester. 

Coach Brian Smith was openly advocating for the season to start Jan 1 and end in late March or early April. It's better for everyone, but the wrestling community is conservative and apprehensive to change.

8 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Coaches are judged by NCAA performance. For years, Mizzou has overperformed during the dual season and underperformed at Nationals.

I think duals are the way to grow the sport, but I also understand resting starters. The problem is college coaches refuse to go to one semester. 

Coach Brian Smith was openly advocating for the season to start Jan 1 and end in late March or early April. It's better for everyone, but the wrestling community is conservative and apprehensive to change.

I haven’t really noticed Mizzou under performing at NCAA’s IMO.  They just get seeds that everyone knows are too high because they had a soft schedule.

44 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Surtin, Hart, Edmond, Jacques, Kent, Elam, Elam.  Seems like 7 starters not 5.  I’m thinking there is also not much difference between Brown and Crawford.