Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Could Howe go 165?

the problem is that psu has a team title to win. they couldnt afford the line-up shift. i would love to see the match-up and maybe they could make it happen at the all-star, but it wont happen at 174 for the title.

Taylor isn't going up. I thought PSU had a guy at 174 that was halfway decent? Does Howe look past him like Mr. Evans and Mr. Storley did? J/K

Last I heard was that it was going to be Howe vs Ruth at a catchweight ;)

Dake could afford to go up to dethrone Taylor because it didn't really affect the Cornell lineup much, and he seems to relish the high pressure/high risk/high reward situations. Taylor doesn't seem as well suited for those situations, and Taylor going to 174 is not best for the PSU lineup. As much as I'd like to see Taylor go up to tangle with Howe, I see no chance of that happening. At this point Taylor is scrambling just to become a member of the 2x champions club.

Howe will be at 174lbs. I think 174lbs will work out better for Howe. Although Howe could make 165lbs, by loosing those extra pounds the body wouldn't be as strong and the joints wouldn't be as strong. I do believe that Howe would be less susceptible to injury by going at 174lbs. There is no need to cut that extra weight. Regardless where he goes, he would do well in any of the weight classes. Like a previous poster mentioned, Oklahoma will have Clark Glass at 165lbs. . a very talented wrestler. I think Oklahoma will have one of the strongest lineups in the Nation compared to the past few seasons.

Howe appears to be unbeatable. OU will have a strong team next year but they will all be seniors. Lester's, Maple, Howe, Patterson, and Trutt look to be a solid base for a run to the top 5. Iowa, Oklahoma State, PSU, and Minnesota will have more balance and will probably finish ahead of the Sooners. This next year should be as exciting as this year's tournament turned out to be.

Am I the only one who finds it just a bit odd that Howe stated that he has grown into 174 and making the cut to 165 for a whole season might be too tough...and in the same interview says he will be back at 74 kilos (163 lbs) internationally and that the cut "isn't too bad"?

I understand less weigh ins and everything internationally...but I still found this to be a bit odd.

It's not that odd. There is a night and day difference between being close to bone-dry a day before but being able to get 80% of your strength and conditioning back... And being bone-dry and not being able to. Around 180+ of bodyweight, the difference is about 10 lbs.

Taylor Caldwell Moreno, Sulzer.... Perry, Brown, Kokesh, Storley... Ruth, Lofthouse Loder, Steptock. I think 74 is more of challenge than 65 or 84 in depth terms

That's quite a stretch of logic. If hypothetically someone as elite as Howe or Dake were choosing to duck certain weights they wouldn't base it on the #4 competitor. And for the record, none of these guys are ducking!! Howe is a very heavy favorite against the #3-4 wrestlers at 165, 174 and 184. 184 also has Steinhaus, who despite a poor NCAA tournament will be Ruth's main competition next season. The bottom line is that Howe is making a rational decision -- 165 would be an uncomfortable cut and he's a favorite at 174 which helps the team. Makes more sense for a wrestler like Dake to choose the higher weight class when he's in between based on competition than for Howe to choose a really tough cut based on competition that could put the team in more jeopardy. We'd all love to see Taylor-Howe in folkstyle, but their expected weights make the most sense.

there is absolutely no reason why taylor should not bump up for the all star classic its an exhibition and scout him out for brown. wanna be the best got to beat the best (originially dakes move to 165 was just going to be for the classic) im not saying taylor should be at 174 next yr, but put on a show

I would love that but you're wrong about Dake. Burroughs influenced his decision to bump up while training during the summer and Dake decided before All Star. It's not quite the same, Dake is bigger at 165 than Taylor at 174, but if DT did that it would be awesome. I would have to favor Howe, but mat wrestling would make it closer than freestyle perhaps.

It's not that odd. There is a night and day difference between being close to bone-dry a day before but being able to get 80% of your strength and conditioning back... And being bone-dry and not being able to. Around 180+ of bodyweight, the difference is about 10 lbs.

This nails it. The difference is huge. It's not even comparable. Cutting 10 pounds of water and wrestling one hour later will make you feel like crap and it will show up in your match. But if you do it right, you'd never notice that you cut any weight at all if you can weigh in the day before. 10 pounds is nothing doing it that way. Also, in college you might weigh in 30 times or more during the season. Internationally, you can be a top ranked guy and make scratch weight only a handful of times per year. Many of the tournaments give 2kg or more leeway. There are only a few tournaments per year when you have to make scratch weight.

Howe will be at 174, OU has Clark Glass a redshirt freshman who had 21 wins in open tournaments last year who'll bevat 165. Matt Reed who as a pure frosh got beat up pretty bad at 174 will redshirt and get stronger. Howe is strong enough for 174 and he is Rutt's main workout partner who is at 184, and needs to be since Tyron Lewis is no longer on the staff.