Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Kelly Ripa at UM/Rutgers match

Knew her husband, was a wrestler. New she had a sun that wrestled. Did not know her son was good enough to be on the Michigan roster. Did not realize her son was that old. And I see he has two older siblings.

What was his HS background? (National preps etc?)

Edited by RichB

37 minutes ago, RichB said:

Knew her husband, was a wrestler. New she had a sun that wrestled. Did not know her son was good enough to be on the Michigan roster. Did not realize her son was that old. And I see he has two older siblings.

No disrespect intended, because they're necessary, but unless his goal is to wrestle for either Spain, Italy, or Mexico and he improves a LOT then he is likely a room guy.  He will get a great degree out of it and be in the room with some of his generational greats and wrestling idols at the same time.  Not many people ever get to say that.

4 hours ago, RichB said:

Wrestled for The Churchill School and Center. No real results of note. Went 1-2 at Eastern States his Sr. year. 

2 hours ago, cowcards15 said:

Wrestled for The Churchill School and Center. No real results of note. Went 1-2 at Eastern States his Sr. year. 

So he’s on the team solely bc of his parents. Cool

51 minutes ago, simple said:

Agreed, but he is a room guy and Bormet is allowing it, so who cares?

3 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

Mom and dad are footing the bill for his tuition/room/board (maybe a nice donation to the program) and he gets to be on the team.  Win-win for everybody involved

This, and there are certain requirements that everyone on the team (including room guys) have to meet, and if he wasn't meeting those standards then I'm pretty sure they would cut him.  

12 hours ago, simple said:

You can point to pretty much any college wrestling room and find a wrestler or 2 that "shouldn't" be there. He's not using scholarship money and getting to attend his dream school while continuing to wrestle. Good for him. If it wasn't him it would be another kid that "didn't deserve" it either. 

13 hours ago, simple said:

If you’re the Michigan coach and Kelly Ripa’s son wants to join your team without using scholarship money, I think it’s obvious you would say welcome aboard. I agree with another poster that this is a win-win situation. 

Edited by Katie