Wrestleknownothing

PSU at Iowa predictions

I did not see any explicit predictions thread so I thought I would start one.

Priming the pump with (picks in bold):

125: Hildebrandt v Ayala - I am leaning Hildebrandt here due to experience, but it is a very slight lean for me at this point. I just find this so hard to predict given the limited sample size on Ayala. 0 - 3

133: RBY v DeSanto - I have to lean heavily toward RBY until I see an adjustment by DeSanto. RBY's adjustments have been very effective. 0 - 6

141: Lee v Eierman - Lee has picked up right where he left off last year. The wood looks chopped, the water appears to have been carried. Eierman, meanwhile, does not look as good as he has in the past. 0 - 9

149: Bartlett v Murin - I am leaning Murin for the same experience reason as 125. It is also a small lean because Bartlett can throw the one big move at you. 3 - 9

157: Young v Barraclough(?) - The fact that I have to put a question mark after the presumed PSU starter makes me lean heavily toward Young. I can't see Young getting anything more than a decision against either Barraclough or Negron. 6 - 9

165: Berge v Marinelli - I am going with a recency bias on this one. With Berge coming off the Amine win and Marinelli coming off the Karchla lose, I am leaning Berge. 6 - 12

174: Starocci v Kemerer - Also influenced by recency. While Starocci is coming off a win, he looked gassed at the end. I think that Kemerer gets his NCAA revenge. 9 - 12

184: Brooks v Assad - Even though Assad is a local boy, I have to go with Brooks here. He just looks in complete control at this point. I don't think it is a major, but there is the potential. 9 - 15

197 - Dean v Warner - Another real tough one for me. I admit that Warner's style bores me, and therefore biases me. But, I will give him the W as a nod to the Carver (which I am dubious about). 12 - 15

285 - Kerkvliet v Cassioppi - And so it comes to this. I cannot unsee how well Kerkvliet got to Parris' legs and how well he finished once he got there (3 of 4 I believe). 12 - 18

I went with all decisions, which doesn't feel right. So if I had to choose where we might see a major or worse first up would be RBY (after all we have seen it kinda), but the list would also include Lee (I am drinking the koolaid, and truth be told, always will be), Kemerer, Brooks, and Kerkvliet.

I look forward to being 100% correct. And the good news is I will get to see it happen in person.

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

For a guy who knows nothing about wrestling you put out some very knowledgeable info there.  :)

If I knew anything, I would know how to spell Negron's name. And that it is the Carver Effect. But without the edit function working, whadda ya gonna do?

Hey, mods ( @Waste Management ?). Is this something that can be fixed? The error message I get when I try to edit says the post has moved or it has been too long since the original post. Neither seems to be the case.

13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I did not see any explicit predictions thread so I thought I would start one.

Priming the pump with (picks in bold):

125: Hildebrandt v Ayala - I am leaning Hildebrandt here due to experience, but it is a very slight lean for me at this point. I just find this so hard to predict given the limited sample size on Ayala. 0 - 3

133: RBY v DeSanto - I have to lean heavily toward RBY until I see an adjustment by DeSanto. RBY's adjustments have been very effective. 0 - 6

141: Lee v Eierman - Lee has picked up right where he left off last year. The wood looks chopped, the water appears to have been carried. Eierman, meanwhile, does not look as good as he has in the past. 0 - 9

149: Bartlett v Murin - I am leaning Murin for the same experience reason as 125. It is also a small lean because Bartlett can throw the one big move at you. 3 - 9

157: Young v Barraclough(?) - The fact that I have to put a question mark after the presumed PSU starter makes me lean heavily toward Young. I can't see Young getting anything more than a decision against either Barraclough or Nergron. 6 - 9

165: Berge v Marinelli - I am going with a recency bias on this one. With Berge coming off the Amine win and Marinelli coming off the Karchla lose, I am leaning Berge. 6 - 12

174: Starocci v Kemerer - Also influenced by recency. While Starocci is coming off a win, he looked gassed at the end. I think that Kemerer gets his NCAA revenge. 9 - 12

184: Brooks v Assad - Even though Assad is a local boy, I have to go with Brooks here. He just looks in complete control at this point. I don't think it is a major, but there is the potential. 9 - 15

197 - Dean v Warner - Another real tough one for me. I admit that Warner's style bores me, and therefore biases me. But, I will give him the W as a nod to the Carver (which I am dubious about). 12 - 15

285 - Kerkvliet v Cassioppi - And so it comes to this. I cannot unsee how well Kerkvliet got to Parris' legs and how well he finished once he got there (3 of 4 I believe). 12 - 18

I went with all decisions, which doesn't feel right. So if I had to choose where we might see a major or worse first up would be RBY (after all we have seen it kinda), but the list would also include Lee (I am drinking the koolaid, and truth be told, always will be), Kemerer, Brooks, and Kerkvliet.

I look forward to being 100% correct. And the good news is I will get to see it happen in person.

Nice picks! 

I think there is a chance Brooks majors Assad. Hidlay nearly did and I think Brooks is a worse match-up for Assad. 

Berge, albeit not at his best self, barely scraped by Young last year. He appears to be wrestling better, but I was really disappointed by Amine's lack of effort in their matchup. I think this is a solid lean towards Marinelli, though I wouldn't be shocked by a lost (but definitely very deflated!)

I know Kerk was sick last year and I do remember his (slim) victory over Mason at Olympic Trials. Still, I thought Cass was simply better. No longer :(

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If I knew anything, I would know how to spell Negron's name. And that it is the Carver Effect. But without the edit function working, whadda ya gonna do?

Hey, mods ( @Waste Management ?). Is this something that can be fixed? The error message I get when I try to edit says the post has moved or it has been too long since the original post. Neither seems to be the case.

This has been going on for a while, seems the longer post are more often hit with it directly after submit.  Danger is likely to make spelling mistakes or not notice that autofowlup changed your word when typing a long post.  Then you look stuupid cause you can't edet and corrrect the problemo.  

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

125 Ayala dec Hildebrant 3-0

133 RBY dec Desanto 3-3

141 Lee dec Eierman 3-6

149 Murin dec Bartlett 6-6

157 Young dec whoever is here 9-6

165 Marinelli dec Berge 12-6

174 Kemrerer dec Starroci 15-6

184 Brooks dec Assad 15-9

197 Warner dec Dean 18-9

HWT Cass dec Kerk 21-9

Iowa wins

Glad to see you picking Iowa. Now I feel better about my picks. 

I kid. But, do I?

Just joking. Or not?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

133 RBY dec Desanto 3-3

141 Lee dec Eierman 3-6

197 Warner dec Dean 18-9

HWT Cass dec Kerk 21-9

Iowa wins

While I would be pretty stunned if Iowa wins 21-9, the fact that none of the individual predictions here are at all irrational demonstrates just how exciting this dual shapes up to be (assuming everyone goes -- knock wood, spit three times, etc.). 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

133 RBY dec Desanto 3-3

141 Lee dec Eierman 3-6

197 Warner dec Dean 18-9

HWT Cass dec Kerk 21-9

Iowa wins

I know you’re a proud PSU fan, but you seem a tad bit pessimistic about your guys.  

Edited by Katie

125 - Ayala by decision 3 to 0 Iowa

133 - rby by decision unless desanto taps again 3-3

141 - Lee by decision 6 to 3 psu

149 - murin by decision 6 to 6

157 - young by decision 9 to 6 Iowa 

165 - Marinelli by decision 12 to 6 Iowa

174 - starrocci by decision 12 to 9 Iowa 

184 - brooks by decision 12 to 12

197 - dean by decision 15 to 12 psu

285 - kirk by decision 18 to 12 psu

125:  Ayala pumped up, winning and getting Iowa all pumped up.  (3-0)
133:  I see the Brands Bros and the entire state of Iowa coming up with a counter for the "one armed man".  I would not be suprised to see DeSanto win (one for the Gipper/S. Lee).  (6-0)
141, 149, 157:  toss ups.  2-1 for PSU  (9-6)
165:  Marinelli by decision.  (12-6)
174:  Kemmerer wins one for the Gipper/S. Lee, his home boy.  (15-6)
184:  Brooks by major.  (15-10)
197:  Free Agent Max by decision. (15-13)
Big Boys:  Cass Lite wins a very close one.  CHA goes wild.  (18-13)

Lots of very close matches.  Very close match.  Iowa needs a good start for the home field advantage.   They have to win at least 2 of the first 3.  The Brands Bros have to stay off the (blanking)mat.  One team point deduction could be critical.  I hope Covid tests don't rob us of a great match.  Iowa by 3-5.

34 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Lots of very close matches.  Very close match.  Iowa needs a good start for the home field advantage.   They have to win at least 2 of the first 3.  The Brands Bros have to stay off the "trucking" mat.  One team point deduction could be critical.  I hope Covid tests don't rob us of a great match.  Iowa by 3-5.

: )

Ayala Dec Hildebrandt 3-0 Iowa

RBY Dec DeSanto 3-3

Lee Dec Eierman 6-3 PSU

Bartlett Dec Murin 6-6

Young Dec Negron 9-6 Iowa

Marinelli Dec Berge 12-6

Kemerer Dec Starocci 15-6

Brooks Dec Assad 15-9

Dean Dec Warner 15-12

Kerk maj Cassioppi 16-15 PSU

Hildebrandt over Ayala , should close , Hildebrandt is stingy enough to win close 3-0

RBY over Desanto - I don’t think this match is going to happen , both guys have been out of duals recently , I don’t think either is 100 percent but if it does happen RBY wins close controlled match 6-0

Lee over Eierman - Lee looks much better then Eierman right now , only takes getting out of position once for lee and Eierman can take it but everything up to this point says Lee 9-0

Murin over Bartlett - Murin looks pretty big for the weight class and I think we be a little too strong for Bartlett 9-3

Young over Barraclough- I see Barraclough losing another close match with young  getting a late score or in OT 9-6

Berge over Marinelli- upset of the dual , I think Berge looks completely different at 165 , he seems fresh and more confident then ever and I think he steals one 12-6

Starocci over Kem - I think Starocci eeks one out , maybe decided by a riding time point 15-6

Brooks over Assad - I think brooks puts it in late and picks up 4  19-6

Warner over Dean - I can see Dean coming out too hyped and fading late with Warner pulling it out , call this one this Carver effect 19-9 

Kerk over Cass - Kerk looking like the real deal and Cass has been giving up some takedowns to 10-15 range guys, Kerk should be able to score , Kerk in a controlled win 22-9 PSU .

.so many toss ups though should be the dual of the year 

I'll be rooting for Iowa as the scrappy underdogs.  Here is an optimistic hawkeye outcome:

125: Ayala dec Hildebrandt 3-0

133: Bravo-Young dec Desanto 3-3

141: Lee dec Eierman 3-6

149: Murin dec Bartlett 6-6

157: Young major Negron 10-6

165: Marinelli dec Berge 13-6

174: Kemerer dec Starocci 16-6

184: Brooks dec Assad 16-9

197: Dean dec Warner 16-12

285: Cassioppi dec Kerkvliet 19-12

That is the absolute best case scenario I can see for Iowa.  I really don't think Kemerer will beat Starocci ever again. 49, 25, HWT are all tossups I have awarded to Iowa here

125: Ayala dec Hilde (3-0 Iowa)
133: RBY dec DeSanto (3-3)
141: Lee dec Eierman (6-3 PSU)
149: Bartlett dec Murin (9-3 PSU)
157: Young dec Negron (9-6 PSU)
165: Marinelli dec Berge (9-9)
174: Starocci dec Kemerer (12-9 PSU)
184: Brooks maj Assad (16-9 PSU)
197: Dean dec Warner (19-9 PSU)
285: Kerkvliet dec Cassioppi (22-9 PSU)

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said: