CoachWrestling

AJ Ferrari reportedly "got into a bad wreck". No other info

12 minutes ago, Jrr277 said:

Update

"He has fluid in his lungs that is affecting his oxygen levels and some bad bruising with some internal bleeding, so they are keeping him here," the father wrote.

Damn. Hopefully he pulls through 

1 hour ago, Jrr277 said:

Update

"He has fluid in his lungs that is affecting his oxygen levels and some bad bruising with some internal bleeding, so they are keeping him here," the father wrote.

Which indicates he could still be looking at surgery depending on the bleeding. I am guessing there will be a statement from John Smith today. 

Let’s assume for a second that any of us here know what actually happened, and let’s also assume for a second it was in fact passing three cars, no pass zone, uphill, etc. 

Question: what fulfillment are we getting at this point having a discussion on this not being a smart way to drive? How does that come to be ones’ initial reaction upon hearing of someone being airlifted to the hospital?

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Let’s assume for a second that any of us here know what actually happened, and let’s also assume for a second it was in fact passing three cars, no pass zone, uphill, etc. 

Question: what fulfillment are we getting at this point having a discussion on this not being a smart way to drive? How does that come to be ones’ initial reaction upon hearing of someone being airlifted to the hospital?

agreed. it's weird posturing. hope he's ok and gets pinned by cardenas at ncaas.

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

The attention span of the average American is about 30 seconds anymore. 

Anymore? Stendhal, de Tocqueville, and a host of other French bastards have been pointing this out since the beginning.

26 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Retribution.

You did something bad, now something bad needs to happen to you.

But the whole human concept of retribution (and also the entire criminal justice system) is based on the theory that there is a tiny executive (what you think of as "you") sitting in the pilot's seat in your brain and making decisions for your body. This tiny executive would be free and independent of all laws of neuroscience, not to mention physics. Does anyone believe that anymore? That's what free will would require.

Even if AJ did something bad, it was never up to him--at least not in the way we think it was. What happened was simply a product of his biology and his past experiences.

Edited by SignificantACCBias
Edit: brb gonna smoke another joint

3 minutes ago, SignificantACCBias said:

Retribution.

You did something bad, now something bad needs to happen to you.

But the whole human concept of retribution (and also the entire criminal justice system) is based on the theory that there is a tiny executive (what you think of as "you") sitting in the pilot's seat in your brain and making decisions for your body. This tiny executive would be free and independent of all laws of neuroscience, not to mention physics. Does anyone believe that anymore? That's what free will would require.

Even if AJ did something bad, it was never up to him--at least not in the way we think it was. What happened was simply a product of his biology and his past experiences.

The problem with that take is that one cannot simply therapy out or be restorative about everything… 

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

The person in the vehicle with AJ was a guy.  A poster on the Oklahoma State board said they are best friends.

AJ is prob not exactly the guy most think he is.  Watching a bb game back in Dec, halftime AJ was in the tunnel/exit patting all the players on the shoulder as they headed to locker room.  How many wrestlers support BB or CC?  Well maybe more than we think.  Kids love him, prob why he went to Cushing but yeah he still made a mistake.  

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

AJ is prob not exactly the guy most think he is.  Watching a bb game back in Dec, halftime AJ was in the tunnel/exit patting all the players on the shoulder as they headed to locker room.  How many wrestlers support BB or CC?  Well maybe more than we think.  Kids love him, prob why he went to Cushing but yeah he still made a mistake.  

In what way is patting basketball players backs some kind of impressive moral action that would change how AJ is perceived?

4 minutes ago, wamba said:

In what way is patting basketball players backs some kind of impressive moral action that would change how AJ is perceived?

What exactly has he done to be perceived negatively?  I come at this honestly.  We live in a sport where Pat Downey exists, nothing like that around AJ.  He likes to be the center of attention.

My $0.02-Ferrari is a down to earth and friendly kid when the cameras aren't filming. When the lens is on, he's playing a bit of a character like a WWF wrestler. Friendly and down to earth kids still make stupid mistakes. I know I did. If I had to bet, he's beating himself up about what his mistake means for his team. This could have been much worse and I don't think him a moron by any stretch of the imagination, so he'll take his punishment and take this lesson to heart.

50 minutes ago, ionel said:

5 minutes ago, Jrr277 said:

My $0.02-Ferrari is a down to earth and friendly kid when the cameras aren't filming. When the lens is on, he's playing a bit of a character like a WWF wrestler. Friendly and down to earth kids still make stupid mistakes. I know I did. If I had to bet, he's beating himself up about what his mistake means for his team. This could have been much worse and I don't think him a moron by any stretch of the imagination, so he'll take his punishment and take this lesson to heart.

Agree with both of you re: AJ.  I didn't like him at first, but he is starting to win me over.  The impression I get now is that he is a good teammate and supports the athletes in the other sports at his school.  The motor vehicle accident is unfortunate.  I'm sure he will learn from it.  I hope he heals up and is able to wrestle again soon.

48 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

What exactly has he done to be perceived negatively?  I come at this honestly.  We live in a sport where Pat Downey exists, nothing like that around AJ.  He likes to be the center of attention.

Until recently nothing illegal. But all the guns he posts on social media and the way he handles them shows that he thinks they’re toys/fun/a joke. That was fine as a WWE-like persona, but yesterday showed that he does need help from OSU. 

He is fortunate in many ways after yesterday. Not only did he survive what sounds like a terrible crash, his friend survived as well, and no other drivers were hurt. I’m very happy the initial reports of the head on collision were incorrect. This easily could have been a situation like that of Henry Ruggs where he could have survived but still  ruined his life. Passing 3 cars at night on a 2 lane highway in a no passing zone- presumably at high rate of speed-his father is right that the end result was a miracle. 

11 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Until recently nothing illegal. But all the guns he posts on social media and the way he handles them shows that he thinks they’re toys/fun/a joke. That was fine as a WWE-like persona, but yesterday showed that he does need help from OSU. 

He is fortunate in many ways after yesterday. Not only did he survive what sounds like a terrible crash, his friend survived as well, and no other drivers were hurt. I’m very happy the initial reports of the head on collision were incorrect. This easily could have been a situation like that of Henry Ruggs where he could have survived but still  ruined his life. Passing 3 cars at night on a 2 lane highway in a no passing zone- presumably at high rate of speed-his father is right that the end result was a miracle. 

Sorry...trying really hard to understand what you are saying in this post.  What does his social media posts and him showing guns have anything to do with something illegal??  And you don't like him and think he is a terrible person in real life, because of his posts and antics?  I don't always like his ANTICS, but would never claim to know who he is as a person.

And of course if he killed someone, or multiple people, this would be a totally different conversation and totally a huge impact on his life...like DUH...but that didn't happen...period.  Why focus (no pun intended) on it?  Weird.

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Answering for myself instead of Tbar, I am not against the law for the fact that it can and often does save lives.  However, I did have issues with it when it came out because it was ONLY instituted because of insurance companies lobbying so hard and THEY were the ones that benefited the most from it.  

Sort of an "ends justify the means" argument in that case...

surely the people not flying through their windshields benefitted more than the insurance companies???

10 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Sorry...trying really hard to understand what you are saying in this post.  What does his social media posts and him showing guns have anything to do with something illegal??  And you don't like him and think he is a terrible person in real life, because of his posts and antics?  I don't always like his ANTICS, but would never claim to know who he is as a person.

And of course if he killed someone, or multiple people, this would be a totally different conversation and totally a huge impact on his life...like DUH...but that didn't happen...period.  Why focus (no pun intended) on it?  Weird.

No-the guns were a red flag, but could fit into it being a WWE persona (which is what I previously thought). 

The real life decision was made on the road and it shows he needs help.

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

No-the guns were a red flag, but could fit into it being a WWE persona (which is what I previously thought). 

The real life decision was made on the road and it shows he needs help.

Why are the guns a red flag??  People that like guns, or own guns, or post them on social media should be red flagged??  

And him passing in a no pass zone means he needs help??  Seriously?!?!  Holly crap!!  Think of how many people probably need help then I guess.  Better sign myself up for some of that Billy help...

It sure is looking like you are an extremely judgmental person.  Sure hope you don't live in a glass house....

8 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Why are the guns a red flag??  People that like guns, or own guns, or post them on social media should be red flagged??  

And him passing in a no pass zone means he needs help??  Seriously?!?!  Holly crap!!  Think of how many people probably need help then I guess.  Better sign myself up for some of that Billy help...

It sure is looking like you are an extremely judgmental person.  Sure hope you don't live in a glass house....

I don't think it is the liking, owning, or posting on social media about guns that constitutes the red flag in this specific instance.

The keeping of a loaded rifle in the trunk of his car and the random shooting of it into the dark, however, are in the red flag category. Neither one of those things seem like the hallmarks of responsible gun ownership. Do you disagree?