Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

This is getting ridiculous

Try explaining to someone in Iran or Russia or around those parts why baseball or aquash should contend with wrestling

Clearly this is one country and one country only messing up wrestling. Guess who? Its us, the good ole USA. Take out USA and there is no baseball and no squash.

We have only ourselves to blame!

Wrestling should certainly beat out Squash, IMO. But I don't find it surprising at all that Squash made the short list of sports being considered. We will likely see it in the Olympics some day.

I don't see baseball/softball as real threat to beat our wrestling.

If it was just about total numbers at the current time you may have a useful argument Trip. But they are looking at a tad more complicated of an equation of multiple variable than just that. Just on the participation side of it alone the nations participating in the Olympics want the IOC to look at overall participation growth, growth of youth participation, growth of women participation, availability for participation growth in developing nations, participation nations who traditionally do not have strong Olympics showing (to boost their medal hopes), participation in nations that have a strong viewership, number of Olympic game entries that would come from multiple countries, etc. Then you can add in all the other aspects that some sports can make a strong appeal towards like, buzz interest for TV ratings, venue costs, total medal given out, etc. You have to look at it being more than a true participation in the sport popularity contest and more of a dot matrix of issue that will benefit the IOC bottom dollar and at the same time satisfy a large group of participating countries who can not compete for medals in most of the main sports. Since in some of these aspects wrestling is useful, but squash also fits well into many of these areas too.

try explaining to one of the hundreds of millions of people in india, pakistan and bangladesh (and south africa, australia, new zealand and the west indies) who play and follow cricket why its not an olympic sport.

the reason squash might have a leg up over everyone is its popularity in western europe, from whence so many IOC voters hail. it's not the USA controlling things. otherwise America's two most popular sports would be in and fencing and handball would be out.

If it was just about total numbers at the current time you may have a useful argument Trip. But they are looking at a tad more complicated of an equation of multiple variable than just that. Just on the participation side of it alone the nations participating in the Olympics want the IOC to look at overall participation growth, growth of youth participation, growth of women participation, availability for participation growth in developing nations, participation nations who traditionally do not have strong Olympics showing (to boost their medal hopes), participation in nations that have a strong viewership, number of Olympic game entries that would come from multiple countries, etc. Then you can add in all the other aspects that some sports can make a strong appeal towards like, buzz interest for TV ratings, venue costs, total medal given out, etc. You have to look at it being more than a true participation in the sport popularity contest and more of a dot matrix of issue that will benefit the IOC bottom dollar and at the same time satisfy a large group of participating countries who can not compete for medals in most of the main sports. Since in some of these aspects wrestling is useful, but squash also fits well into many of these areas too.

After the initial vote to replace wrestling with the Modern Pentathlon as a core sport, do you actually believe any of these criteria are relevant?

There are more competitive wrestlers in Daghestan alone than squash competitive players world-wide.

NO, you are wrong, objectively, factually and inarguably wrong. Squash, particularly competitive squash is very big in sorry very large countries, like Egypt, and it is definitely not an "American" sport. Dagestan has what, a couple million?

Furthermore, Baseball is a huge, MONEYMAKING sport on three continents, and its popularity is increasing in non USA locales while declining here.

Your position is ridiculous, could you make an effort to be less transparent in your trolling?

Your statement on Squash has already been proved wrong. It's got a big following in middle Eastern countries.

You say that baseball would be gone if not for the US....ha you really have no idea what goes on in the world, save your fact that you looked up on the Internet about Dagestan having a lot of wrestlers. While you are sitting on your butt trolling you might want to do an Internet search on how many baseball players there are in Latin American countries. Then check out Japanese numbers with baseball. After seeing those numbers, any halfway REASONABLE person would come to the conclusion that it is not the good old USA's "fault". So I'll give you a chance to do some research and await your conclusion. If you retract your original statement, after doing said research, then I will consider you halfway reasonable. Not holding my breathe....

how do you play squash non competitively? practicing against the wall?

at some point you have to make an arbitrary distinction about what is competitive and whats not, but no matter how you slice it, i think its safe to say there are more squash players out there than freestyle and greco wrestlers. that doesn't mean that given a choice between the two, squash and not wrestling should be in the olympics. just means more play play squash, just like more people bowl then either one of them. NBD.

After the initial vote to replace wrestling with the Modern Pentathlon as a core sport, do you actually believe any of these criteria are relevant?

Modern Pentathlon didn't replace wrestling it was already in the Olympics previously. Wrestling made the possible cut list along with Modern Pentathlon and a few other sports. FILA's neglected to take previous concerns about our sport serious nor did they make a major effort to work with the IOC committee in charge of cutting sports to prove we deserved to stay. That already put wrestling in a bad spot in the committee vote. You then add in some committee members making backroom voting deals to help gain enough votes to save a sport they like (or their country does) and what put us in the position we are today. The good news is we have a chance to get back in the games and that final decision involves a larger group of IOC members than just the committee that put in in the spot we are in. I actually see a use for a sport like Modern Pentathlon if it sports were revamped to actually draw interest in the best all around athlete rather than its current form which isn't very popular outside of a few key IOC people. I also think that keep in its current form Modern Pentathlon as well as a few other sports could be scraped or reduced to make room for a few other sports that show the athletic ability of more of the world's people.

Jaroslav, you play non competitive squash when you aren't entered in an actual competition.

As far as overall numbers, that might be because you can play squash as a sr citizen. Wrestling is like boxing. Squash is like tennis. Apples to oranges. I know you aren't implying this but just because my grandmom can play squash doesn't mean it should be in the Olympics. Grandma is only playing "competitive squash" against other grandmas if at all.

Jaroslav, you play non competitive squash when you aren't entered in an actual competition.

right, but thats a tautological definition. how do you know when you've entered in an actual competition? if i play my friend after work with 20 bucks on the line (or just pride!) then we've entered into a competition.

i understand you probably mean something like official tournaments or sanctioned competitions, but then who decides what tournaments are official or not? just FILA or the comparable body for squash? or do you expand that? either way, at some point you have to make an arbitrary distinction between what counts as competitive and non-competitive. my point is no matter where you draw the distinction, you'll have more squashers (do they call them that? I'd like to start even if they don't) than wrestlers. and the reason you've stated is a big part of it. you can squash (verb form ok?) much later in life than you can wrestle.

case in point, i'll never wrestle again, but im pretty sure i'll squash or racquetball a couple few more times in my life.

and again, thats doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. just that there are more squashers out there, so that's probably not the best argument to use for why wrestling should be in the olympics instead of squash.

Popularity isn't the only factor here. Squash is backed by people with real clout. Where I live, the most influential people are personally involved in the following sports - golf, tennis, and squash, then cycling/mountain biking and running. You're not going to find them at a wrestling tournament.

That said, I think baseball being in the mix is a good thing for wrestling because MLB has been very clear it will not allow players to bug out for the Olympics. Baseball has a lot less appeal as an Oly sport, even in the U.S., if the best players in the world aren't playing.

Try explaining to someone in Iran or Russia or around those parts why baseball or aquash should contend with wrestling

Clearly this is one country and one country only messing up wrestling. Guess who? Its us, the good ole USA. Take out USA and there is no baseball and no squash.

We have only ourselves to blame!

It is hard in all parts of the world to explain what "aquash" is, but I tried.

سعی کنید با توضیح به کسی که در ایران و یا روسیه و یا در اطراف آن قسمت که چرا بیس بال یا کدو باید با کشتی ادعا

واضح است که این یک کشور و یک کشور تنها شکستن کشتی است. حدس بزن چه کسی؟ ما آن، خوب اوله ایالات متحده آمریکا. نگاهی از ایالات متحده آمریکا است و هیچ بیس بال و کدو وجود ندارد.

ما فقط خودمان را به سرزنش!

Попробуйте объяснить кому-то в Иране, России или вокруг тех частей почему бейсбол или сквош должны бороться с борьбой

Ясно, что это одна страна и одна страна только разрушение борьба. Угадай, кто? Его нам, хороший ол США. Возьмите из США, и нет никакой бейсбол и сквош.

У нас есть только сами виноваты!