Sign in to follow this  
Urban_Achiever

If we win in September...

Don't know what it would take to become a core sport.

A heck of a lot more convincing and pleading to show we are still the top sport after the next few cycles. At that point they would likely vote to remove another sports the the core list and reinstate wrestling in its place. With all the buzz in place right now about it being removed, its easy to keep the push going to get us back in. However, once we get back in the games for 2020, a large amount of that momentum will dye out, while the other sports will continue to fight to gain entry. Due to this, keeping the ball rolling to ensure we stay in the game may be more of an uphill battle than we are currently in now.

Which sports at the Olympics were involved in ancient Olympics? I believe it was track & field and wrestling. What else?

We should work to make sure that these sports are recognized as the original Olympics sports, thus making them the permanent core sports of the Olympics. Same thing at Big Tens where they cannot elminiate Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, and Wisconsin as they were the original charters. Only the original charter like University of Chicago can resign like they did in 1950s.

So, we should do the same thing with the original ancient sports of Olympics.

Which sports at the Olympics were involved in ancient Olympics? I believe it was track & field and wrestling. What else?

These are the "foundation" sports:

~200m dash aka "stadion"

~400m dash

~5k run

~400m run in full armour

boxing

wrestling

pankration (boxing + wrestling)

chariot racing

pentathalon (wrestling, stadion, long jump, javelin, & discus)

These are the "foundation" sports:

~200m dash aka "stadion"

~400m dash

~5k run

~400m run in full armour

boxing

wrestling

pankration (boxing + wrestling)

chariot racing

pentathalon (wrestling, stadion, long jump, javelin, & discus)

400m run in full armour? OMG. that is a hairy man sport.

Pentathalon- I wish they still had it in this modern era. I would have tried out for this sport. Great sport for sure!

We should make these sports at the Olympics as permanent original Olympic charters.

They basically had 2 styles of wrestling, even back then: wrestling and pankration. Not to mention the pentathalon.

Pankration was basically akin to MMA.

Pankration exists today and is a wrestling style sanctioned by FILA. It's like MMA, but with "the head not being a target."

http://www.fila-official.com/index.php? ... 25&lang=en

(Even though that link says the head is not a target, FILA's basic pankration rules award 3 points for a round house kick to the head. So I'm a little confused...)

Wrestling was similar to Greco, and actually had the push out rule and submissions. FS wasn't really similar at all to original wrestling in any form.

Pankration was the most popular, it was wrestling + boxing, resembling modern MMA.

These to we're most popular sports at original Olympics , along with chariot racing and stadion (basically fastest man comp)

Prankration IMHO would be super popular. As there is some link to a successful pro league.

They need to remove the Gi, well toned ripped athletes look good on TV, otherwise looks too much like Judo. If they want they can add so sort of arm and guards for blocking blows.

The more I think of that, the more desire that I have for pentathalon. We should revive it. It is a real man sport - wrestling, 200m, discus, javelin, and long jump. I love it. Or we should sub some of them with chest pounding events- wrestling, mile run, discus or shot put, swimming, javelin- something like that.

People say it was like Greco because if you Di a quick net search , it states that Olympic wrestling was upperbody locks and submissions as well as had push out , I know Wikipedia isn't considered definitive but the description is found there, that's why people say that. Leg attacks were allowed but more so to apply let licks and so on, but I'm sure a double or two was also used.

Wrestling was similar to Greco

Why do people keep saying this? Greek wrestling wasn't anything like Greco. You could attack the legs.

You couldn't attack the legs with your hands, but you could trip/reap the legs.

Grabbing below the groin was not allowed (they were wearing loincloths, and sometimes only a leaf.....)

** edited my post to state grabbing below the groin was *not* allowed

Wrestling was similar to Greco

Why do people keep saying this? Greek wrestling wasn't anything like Greco. You could attack the legs.

Grabbing below the groin was now allowed (they were wearing loincloths, and sometimes only a leaf.....)

When two dudes are flapping in the wind, the last thing you want to do is attack a high single. Im guessing guys switched to the double REAL FAST off of a high crotch.

Grabbing below the groin was now allowed (they were wearing loincloths, and sometimes only a leaf.....)

When two dudes are flapping in the wind, the last thing you want to do is attack a high single. Im guessing guys switched to the double REAL FAST off of a high crotch.

The "spladle" was the most exciting move back then.

The "spladle" was the most exciting move back then.

A figure-four on the head could get a bit "musky" for the recipient....

...are we then added back as a core sport? Or will we have to go through this process every 4 years?

I'm not sure anyone's answered this correctly. There are 2 votes in Sept: First whether to accept the IOC Board's recommendation to drop wresting, and second to vote on which of the 3 sports to add as provisional sports for the next two cycles. If the IOC votes no to the first vote, then I think wrestling is back as a core sport (and I'm not even sure if they have the second vote). If the IOC votes yes to the first vote, approving the recommendation, but then votes to provisionally add wrestling in the 2nd vote, then we're back for 2 cycles. At least that's my understanding. See thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55261

As someone who hasnt been following this as closely as some of you I cant see them approving the original decision to drop it then agreeing to add it back in. Is that the right way of looking at it?

I think to be honest, once we're back in, we're in long term (or probably for good) as they are not going to go through this rigmarole all over again every few years, it is far too costly and time consuming.

And also, wrestling will have been "put to the test and won" once and for all.

I think to be honest, once we're back in, we're in long term (or probably for good) as they are not going to go through this rigmarole all over again every few years, it is far too costly and time consuming.

Several others sport go through this process with the IOC every few cycles, so it not sweat off the IOC back to go through this process. Squash for instance has attempted to gain entry into the Olympics for the last several cycles. The only difference this time around seems to be the IOC wanting to cut down to a set number of sports an competators. I'd guess the IOC would have not issue making us prove we deserve to stay for a few cycles in a row before reinstating wrestling and trying another sport.

Several others sport go through this process with the IOC every few cycles, so it not sweat off the IOC back to go through this process. Squash for instance has attempted to gain entry into the Olympics for the last several cycles. The only difference this time around seems to be the IOC wanting to cut down to a set number of sports an competators. I'd guess the IOC would have not issue making us prove we deserve to stay for a few cycles in a row before reinstating wrestling and trying another sport.

There are many sports that are continually applying to be included in the Olympics, but seldom does a sport that has been removed go through the process of applying for RE-entry.

In fact this is a rare move. Once we're [back] in, I'm confident we'll be staying long term!

Best wishes

Grabbing below the groin was not allowed (they were wearing loincloths, and sometimes only a leaf.....)

** edited my post to state grabbing below the groin was *not* allowed

Do you have a source for this? Thanks.