2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Here is what ESPN is offering for your viewing pleasure, but you still have to pay EXTRA for it... ESPN+

Sorry.  The carrot keeps being dangled.  I can foresee the day when The Price is Right will be PPV.

Edited by BerniePragle
Screwed up.

NCAA wrestling finals have averaged ~650,000 viewers for ESPN. haven't done the research on women's gymnastics but would not be surprised if it was higher. it's probably in the ballpark though. 

Nielsen doesn't meter BTN's tv ratings so they are harder to find but they've divulged some numbers in press releases. According to BTN, 2020's Iowa vs Penn State had 342,955 viewers, which was the highest for a wrestling broadcast. All wrestling duals that season averaged 116,043 viewers. 

But going back to the original question, BTN is not going to just give the broadcast rights to this dual to ESPN, and ESPN is not going to try and buy the rights from BTN as hey already own the broadcast rights to a bunch of other programming options that get higher tv ratings. So that's why we will never see this dual on ESPN for the foreseeable future. 

6 minutes ago, wrestlingzen said:

To be fair: the capacity of the venue shapes the in-person attendance--9k may be full capacity depending on many sites. I personally can't wait to see the Iowa/PSU meet tonight, and Carver is my favorite place to watch wrestling, but gymnastics on the whole is a bigger draw for most people in the US, unfortunately or not. (A little more on the homework front: Auburn currently has Sunny Lee on the roster, who was the 2020 all around gold medalist--which also matters when it comes to people attending and tuning in.)

I was thinking this when I responded the last time but didn't feel the need to really get into it...but now I'm tempted.  Yes, not only does the capacity of the venue, but also the competition area for a gymnastics meet is significantly larger than a single wrestling mat.  If you hold a gymnastics meet in Carver one night, and a wrestling meet another night, the seating capacity is going to be much larger for a wrestling match than for gymnastics.  I'm not sure how someone came up with that is more comparable than TV viewership, which doesn't have seating capacities.  

Comparing the viewership:  someone above brought up the fact that gymnastics championships were on ABC (network) and wrestling on ESPN (cable subscription).  Okay, that's certainly true on its surface, but let's be realistic here.......how many households in the country have ABC but don't have ESPN?  How many people in the country are still on the bunny ears?  Now, how many that are fans of small market college sports are watching championships on bunny ears?  I have to think both wrestling fans and gymnastics fans had equal opportunity to watch their championships.  And yes there is a difference between championships and a single dual, so I'll ask the question.  Do we believe that in a scenario where one winter sports championships outviews anothers by a quarter of a million viewers, would experience a drastic, drastic shift in viewership comps when its just a dual meet?

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

My cable is notorious for going out in high winds. Tonite's forecast is for high winds. Maybe I will be watching it on my phone ... via satellite. Ughh. 

Batten down the hatches, make sure you seat belt is adjusted correctly, and do whatever business you have to do beforehand!

My wife is going to her sister's house, so it's just the cat and me and the cat will probably just sleep through it no matter how loud I get.  Looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, wdanforth said:

Iguanas will be falling out of the the trees. Stay warm Luker.

Funny story.  In some central american countries (of which we have alot of natives around here), I guess they are considered a delicacy.  This happened a couple years ago, and when it did, some dude went around in his car collecting them, with the intent of selling them back home.  He crashed his car when they all woke up and started bouncing around all over the place.....

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Funny story.  In some central american countries (of which we have alot of natives around here), I guess they are considered a delicacy.  This happened a couple years ago, and when it did, some dude went around in his car collecting them, with the intent of selling them back home.  He crashed his car when they all woke up and started bouncing around all over the place.....

Should have had the AC cranked.  Rookie mistake.

16 minutes ago, asovermann said:

Alabama-Florida Gymnastics just drew 624,000 viewers on January 16th and it aired the same time as NFL playoff games. Wouldn't shock me if Alabama-Auburn does numbers with Auburn having an Olympic gold medalist on the roster.

hmmmm

49 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Batten down the hatches, make sure you seat belt is adjusted correctly, and do whatever business you have to do beforehand!

My wife is going to her sister's house, so it's just the cat and me and the cat will probably just sleep through it no matter how loud I get.  Looking forward to it.

I once, a lifetime ago, dated a girl with a cat. Cat was kind of mellow but this one time it walked right across my face at 5am. I flinched and the cat's claws dug in to my skin. Yowsa. Turns out that cat really could fly if (in a panic) you gave it the ultimate lift off. She survived. So did I. 

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

To be honest I don't see how I make it through the whole dual. 

1) that **** starts at about my bedtime

2) I think I've watched exactly one full dual meet in the last ten years.   Last Friday...

You could drink some tea or coffee, or use toothpicks.

she's the tall one: If you're tired and you know it clap ...

2 hours ago, asovermann said:

Alabama-Florida Gymnastics just drew 624,000 viewers on January 16th and it aired the same time as NFL playoff games. Wouldn't shock me if Alabama-Auburn does numbers with Auburn having an Olympic gold medalist on the roster.

That's fantastic numbers. I don't your average wrestling fan realizes how niche the sport truly is. It doesn't help that the biggest and richest college conference has zero interest in the sport. 

Could you imagine if the SEC sponsored wrestling and supported it like the Big Ten has? Unfortunately, there is zero interest and I don't see an SEC school adding wrestling anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

To be honest I don't see how I make it through the whole dual. 

1) that **** starts at about my bedtime

2) I think I've watched exactly one full dual meet in the last ten years.   Last Friday...

I got an hour and a half nap in this afternoon.  I'm good for the whole thing!

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

You could drink some tea or coffee, or use toothpicks.

she's the tall one: If you're tired and you know it clap ...

My dude…we practice at 5:00am, which means I’m at the door at 4am. Toothpicks aren’t gonna do it. Got any 2x4’s??

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That is above my pay grade. 

I’m going to make a good effort. Truth is (to the point of the title thread), I haven’t been excited about watching a college dual meet in a long time, and I am for this. Good things happen when two teams who actually want to wrestle get together.