TBar1977

PSU at Iowa Match Thread

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Really excited about NCAAs again this year, I think Iowa is more of a live dog than I previously thought.

I expect PSU to perform a lot better at NCAAs than they did in an away dual at Carver Hawkeye. Iowa is certainly still a live dog. 

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Psu won 3 of the last 5 matches so youre logic is a bit off... but I agree and if I were an Iowa fan i would absolutely feel good about the dual with Cass pulling off that win. You get to ride on that win until they meet again at at B1Gs.

Btw I thoroughly enjoyed your voice recording on FRL the other day.

Not sure what you mean.  That guy did sound like his wife is a really lucky lady though.

To be clear, I do not believe Iowa won anything other than the matches they won.  It was just a good dual.  Dean's turning prowess on top could be a huge factor in the team score if he racks up some bonus at NCAAs.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Not sure what you mean.  That guy did sound like his wife is a really lucky lady though.

To be clear, I do not believe Iowa won anything other than the matches they won.  It was just a good dual.  Dean's turning prowess on top could be a huge factor in the team score if he racks up some bonus at NCAAs.

Honestly kinda surprised how dorky your voice sounds. I thought your voice would sound more husky.. I kiddd... I kidd..

I don’t understand what Brooks was doing out there.

Just murder Assad from neutral. That should be an easy 4 points for PSU. If you acquire a minute plus riding time in the first and don’t come close to turning, it’s time to play catch and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Just murder Assad from neutral. That should be an easy 4 points for PSU. If you acquire a minute plus riding time in the first and don’t come close to turning, it’s time to play catch and release.

Truth

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yup

11 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

I expect PSU to perform a lot better at NCAAs than they did in an away dual at Carver Hawkeye. Iowa is certainly still a live dog. 

Yeah, PSU is definitely the favorite. Iowa is still in contention and would’ve won with acl-less Spencer 

I don’t care what team you are a fan of, that dual was a HUGE win for college wrestling. So many competitive matches coming down to the bitter end. It was a shame we didn’t get Ayala, let alone Lee at 125. How great would it have been if the dual ended up tied and decided by criteria?

NCAA’s in my own backyard is going to be a blast. I only have to decide if I am going to actually watch the last day in person or on TV. Should be the most competitive tournament we have had in quite a while. 

Edited by MSU158

I don’t care what team you are a fan of, that dual was a HUGE win for college wrestling. So many competitive matches coming down to the bitter end. It was a shame we didn’t get Ayala, let alone Lee at 125. How great would it have been of the dual ended up tied and decided by criteria?
NCAA’s in my own backyard is going to be a blast. I only have to decide if I am going to actually watch the last day in person or on TV. Should be the most competitive tournament we have had in quite a while. 

I think Brooks might have gone for the MD earlier if it had been close®. I was very disappointed in the match management there. Head scratcher.

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I think Brooks might have gone for the MD earlier if it had been close®. I was very disappointed in the match management there. Head scratcher.

Yeah. But Brooks actually was wrestling a guy with an even bigger gas tank. To get the major Brooks needed to get it early and try to hold it in the 3rd.  He is definitely much better than Assad, but trying to get a major on solely takedowns against a guy with that big of a tank is exhausting.  Especially when your opponents is trying to make sure you don’t get the major! 

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

Yeah. But Brooks actually was wrestling a guy with an even bigger gas tank. To get the major Brooks needed to get it early and try to hold it in the 3rd.  He is definitely much better than Assad, but trying to get a major on solely takedowns against a guy with that big of a tank is exhausting.  Especially when your opponents is trying to make sure you don’t get the major! 

He should've cut him earlier in the 1st period when his gas tank was fuller 

Just now, portajohn said:

He should've cut him earlier in the 1st period when his gas tank was fuller 

Definitely agree. But most guys don’t think that way. They want to get a takedown or 2 and try to ride a bit to establish dominance.  I never agreed with it but it is a legit thing. When you are so much better on your feet you should be playing take down and cut right off the bat and that will accrue enough riding time on its own. Obviously you hold them down if the period is close to ending, but you should be using your best skill to your advantage. 

With that said, pride often gets in the way. A guy as good as Brooks thinks he can win in all 3 positions, and he definitely can, but that doesn’t mean he can win by 8 or more, inside 7 minutes, wrestling that way. Like I said in an earlier thread, there are guys that actually can match him with gas tanks, so he needs to maximize his skill advantage early instead of relying on a great gas tank, unless wrestling Amine!

10 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

With that said, pride often gets in the way. A guy as good as Brooks thinks he can win in all 3 positions, and he definitely can, but that doesn’t mean he can win by 8 or more, inside 7 minutes, wrestling that way.

100%...On a side note.  How shocked were you with Starrocci's attack rate.  I was wondering if your mouth hit the floor.

2 hours ago, D3UC157 said:

Driving an opponent out of bounds is also supposed to be stalling yes?

not to say Berge was not stalling, 100%.

No attempts to turn or even break down on top.

Head stuffing and pushing out of bounds neutral does not make offense. Nor deserve stall calls.

I feel like in this match at least Marinelli was trying to create offense with the pushing so I don't really disagree with those calls against Berge.

The most egregious stalling non-call I saw tonight was in the Ragusin/Gliva match.   Ragusin basically walks backwards OOB and a stall would have sent it to SV IIRC.

7 minutes ago, portajohn said:

100%...On a side note.  How shocked were you with Starrocci's attack rate.  I was wondering if your mouth hit the floor.

Was truly shocked because most of those positions ended up more in Kemerer’s favor. Starocci is better off forcing Kemerer to be the aggressor.  With that said, it was by far the best match of the dual. Both guys wrestled through so many positions and neither gave an inch. Hate to see a match like that decided the way it was, but Starocci is just a tiny bit better at accruing riding time and earned the win based on the rules. 

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Was truly shocked because most of those positions ended up more in Kemerer’s favor. Starocci is better off forcing Kemerer to be the aggressor.  With that said, it was by far the best match of the dual. Both guys wrestled through so many positions and neither gave an inch. Hate to see a match like that decided the way it was, but Starocci is just a tiny bit better at accruing riding time and earned the win based on the rules. 

I dont see a problem with how the match was decided. I do have a problem with how the match was officiated (ref AND scores table)

8 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I think someone said it earlier but if I’m Kemerer I take neutral at the end.  Better chance of a takedown IMO than getting out in 7 seconds or whatever it was.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

That’s the last time I get looking forward to a college dual. Garbage. If I’m lucky I just watched about five minutes of wrestling. 

Huh?   A lot of low scoring matches but most of them still had a good amount of action except for Kaleb Young.