TBar1977

PSU at Iowa Match Thread

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You aren’t going to get more stall calls when the guy repeatedly just shoots off the whistle , the one guy doesn’t have an opportunity to do anything so you can’t keep penalizing him,  and it was obvious Desanto wasn’t shooting to score on most of those he was just trying to get more stall calls …and not for nothing Penn state got hit with 8 or 9 stall calls last night  even though only 2 Iowa guys actually scored off a shot they took  ( Marinelli and Murin) …and Young and Cass would’ve been dinged multiple times for stalling with the way they were riding in any other arena  , the way cass just mounted Kerk like a dog is the NJ textbook definition of stalling on top , they wouldn’t let high school kids get away with that kind of parallel ride 

This is it right here. DeSanto was shooting for stall calls, and he got two of them. Also, how did RBY not get awarded the ESCAPE in period 3 when he initially came out the back door? He was quite obviously out, yet Rivera tried to bail DeSanto out there with "Still Green. Still Green". My golly. A non escape there could have potentially led to over 1 minute RT and then a tie match. 

Seems to me that Iowa's strategy in that match was to try to win via Rivera because DeSanto simply can't finish on RBY. 

Edited by TBar1977

3 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

"Desanto wasn’t shooting to score on most of those he was just trying to get more stall calls"  

The alternative when wrestling a one-armed man who refuses to shoot or engage is...?

I had a high school buddy who later reffed mostly HS, some college.  He jokingly told me once he wanted to tell a few kids... You back out of the circle and I'll hit you for stalling.  Not the big circle, that small one in the middle.  He'd have made 133 a much better match to watch last night.

He had the leg 9 times, Bernie. He should learn how to finish. 

5 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

"Desanto wasn’t shooting to score on most of those he was just trying to get more stall calls"  

The alternative when wrestling a one-armed man who refuses to shoot or engage is...?

I had a high school buddy who later reffed mostly HS, some college.  He jokingly told me once he wanted to tell a few kids... You back out of the circle and I'll hit you for stalling.  Not the big circle, that small one in the middle.  He'd have made 133 a much better match to watch last night.

He shot off the whistle 3 times in a row , you can’t call the other guy for stalling in that situation , if you hit the guy for stalling the ref is pretty much telling that guy you have to shoot off the whistle or else …and in a neutral arena you would’ve seen Young get hit for stalling atleast once , Berge definitely wouldn’t have been hit 10 seconds into a match, Kem would’ve given up a point , same as Assad, and Cass wouldn’t have been able to just mount Kerk like a dog in heat for a 1:30 of the match without trying to even break him down, literally just laid on his back 

Stall calls alone can't dictate a match. DeSanto has to transition to a finish immediately either driving through or lifting or something. He's right there with RBY and Fix and can beat them. Just needs to trust in himself.

Honestly stall calls wise it was one of the worst officiated matches I’ve ever seen ..

outside of the bull Iowa had 1 guy actually shoot and score a takedown (Murin), Warner scored one off a counter and Cass scored 2 from the upper body counters , yet Iowa won the stall call battle like 10-3 …and with mat wrestling I don’t think an Iowa guy even attempted a turn the whole dual , not even a  half ass attempt 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

PSU had a 3rd string 157 and an undersized 149 and 197. Such is life. 

Lol you’re not honestly trying to compare Iowa’s 125 situation to PSU at 149 and 157 are you?  Barraclaugh might be the best 157 on their roster, Ybarra is literally 3rd string. And Bartlett isn’t that undersized, he’s already beaten one of last year’s AA’s.

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Are you of the impression that the entirety of the wrestling community is on this message board?

I fully understand there is a large contingent, seemingly vast majority, who has a different opinion of the dual as I do. As I said at the beginning, it happens. It’s okay.  

Yes but I think it’s a decent representation.  Clearly I know not every single wrestling fan enjoyed last night’s dual, but as you said the vast majority likely did.

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He was wrestling RBY, defending National champion who beat Daton Fix. I’m sure he’s really easy to finish on. Desanto isn’t going to beat RBY but that was a good effort. Did you see RBY’s facial expressions after the match? Either he was sick or wrestling Desanto isn’t enjoyable

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Lol you’re not honestly trying to compare Iowa’s 125 situation to PSU at 149 and 157 are you?  Barraclaugh might be the best 157 on their roster, Ybarra is literally 3rd string. And Bartlett isn’t that undersized, he’s already beaten one of last year’s AA’s.

Bartlett isn’t undersized ? Guy wrestles 149 and walks around at like 150 lol guys like Murin definitely cut a bunch of weight  to make 149 

1 minute ago, ThorsteinV said:

He was wrestling RBY, defending National champion who beat Daton Fix. I’m sure he’s really easy to finish on. Desanto isn’t going to beat RBY but that was a good effort. Did you see RBY’s facial expressions after the match? Either he was sick or wrestling Desanto isn’t enjoyable

Could’ve been the 2 slaps in the face when they were going off the mat , or the pointless wind up club from Desanto or the fact he got into RBY face and said something when they were shaking hands 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Bartlett isn’t undersized ? Guy wrestles 149 and walks around at like 150 lol guys like Murin definitely cut a bunch of weight  to make 149 

I said he isn’t THAT undersized.  He had all year to put on some muscle, he knew he was gonna be 149 again.  I never considered Murin to be all that big either, he wrestled 141 in 2020.

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Could’ve been the 2 slaps in the face when they were going off the mat , or the pointless wind up club from Desanto or the fact he got into RBY face and said something when they were shaking hands 

Yeah, or that! 

9 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I'll give you, RBY is "slippery", great defense, great scrambler, boring, whatever...depending on whose eyes are doing the watching.

Heck, my HS buddy probably would have called him for stalling as soon as he dropped that arm.  And, I'm not sure he wouldn't be right.

I'm far from an Iowa homer.  I've spent the majority of my life in PA and NY.  Just like matches with offense, not backing up or great defense followed by stalemate calls.  Maybe the sport has evolved and I just haven't...

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No, RBY said something to DeSanto. Go rewatch the clip. Not stirring anything up, I'm just saying it's in the clip. 

Edited by Daybreak

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I said he isn’t THAT undersized.  He had all year to put on some muscle, he knew he was gonna be 149 again.  I never considered Murin to be all that big either, he wrestled 141 in 2020.

Murin looks as solid built as any 149 pounder in the country ,and Bartlett is going to wrestle 141 for the next 3 years so idk if him bulking up for one season would’ve made sense , and if Shane Van ness didn’t get injured in the preseason he might’ve been the 149 this year with Bartlett redshirting , but he ended up being the best option for team 

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Murin looks as solid built as any 149 pounder in the country ,and Bartlett is going to wrestle 141 for the next 3 years so idk if him bulking up for one season would’ve made sense , and if Shane Van ness didn’t get injured in the preseason he might’ve been the 149 this year with Bartlett redshirting , but he ended up being the best option for team 

Again, I agree Bartlett is undersized, he’s just not THAT undersized. 

And yes Murin is decently big at 149, but not huge IMO.

Mostly just think it’s silly to compare that at all to Iowa sending out their 3rd string 125 and claiming they “threw the kitchen sink” at them, but clearly Tbar is just trolling.

PSU sent out their likely postseason lineup, with probably the only possible exception of 157 simply because no one has earned the spot.  Unless Ayala is seriously injured, Iowa did not.   Doesn’t matter because he wasn’t there, but if Ayala beats Hildebrandt and the other results stay the same, Iowa wins the dual.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Why not? Barraclaw may be the best 157 you have seen, but he's only the best because Joe Lee has regressed and Gardner is not yet in the line up. That makes him a 3rd level guy. 

22 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

I'll give you, RBY is "slippery", great defense, great scrambler, boring, whatever...depending on whose eyes are doing the watching.

Heck, my HS buddy probably would have called him for stalling as soon as he dropped that arm.  And, I'm not sure he wouldn't be right.

I'm far from an Iowa homer.  I've spent the majority of my life in PA and NY.  Just like matches with offense, not backing up or great defense followed by stalemate calls.  Maybe the sport has evolved and I just haven't...

Here is the problem with RBY and ADS. ADS can shoot, but he then buries his own head in the mat because he knows if he tries to improve then RBY has the better chance to score as compared to him. So he buries his head and he wants to be rewarded for just diving on the leg right from the whistle. I am certain this strategy was practiced for three weeks or more just for last nite's match. It almost worked. ADS could have gotten stall pts and he could have gotten RT the way Rivera reffed the 3rd period. RBY was just better. Look at how RBY takes one shot and converts it in 2 seconds. If ADS doesn't bury his head but instead tries to improve then he gives up even more TDs. They knew that. They worked that match to try to game a win out of nothing. 

Edited by TBar1977

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Why not? Barraclaw may be the best 157 you have seen, but he's only the best because Joe Lee has regressed and Gardner is not yet in the line up. That makes him a 3rd level guy. 

Except both of those guys were available last night, Iowa's top 2 125's were not.   And now one of their guys regressing is supposed to be an argument in favor of Penn State?

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Re watched the match. As a PSU fan I feel a lot better about this match then I did last nite. Iowa's wrestling community threw the whole dang kitchen sink and refurbished cabinetry at PSU, this after PSU had to travel last weekend as well before then travelling to Iowa for this dual.

PSU still won. 

You forgot the water bottle, too....

16 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Again, I agree Bartlett is undersized, he’s just not THAT undersized. 

And yes Murin is decently big at 149, but not huge IMO.

Mostly just think it’s silly to compare that at all to Iowa sending out their 3rd string 125 and claiming they “threw the kitchen sink” at them, but clearly Tbar is just trolling.

PSU sent out their likely postseason lineup, with probably the only possible exception of 157 simply because no one has earned the spot.  Unless Ayala is seriously injured, Iowa did not.   Doesn’t matter because he wasn’t there, but if Ayala beats Hildebrandt and the other results stay the same, Iowa wins the dual.

Not rolling at all. When I said they threw the kitchen sink at Penn State I meant just that.

1. They ran a game plan for DeSanto trying to get stall points, as opposed to actually trying to finish their shots. They also got a completely charitable "Still Green. Still Green" call at 1:30 in period 3 that could have, but did not thankfully, flipped the match. 

2. In similar situations at 184 and 165, the aggressor at 165 wound up getting 3 stall calls against the non aggressor but at 184 given the same situation the aggressor gets only 1 meaningless non scoring stall call. The two matches unfold similarly, but are called differently. This is my chief gripe with how stalling is called. The visiting team in a close match always gets Carvered in stall calls. A meaningless call here here or there goes against Iowa, just never two in a close match. 

3. The 174 match took 20 minutes to have 10 actual minutes of action. This is in part because of stoppages of 2 min. 10 sec., 1 min., 1 min 30 seconds, and 1 min 50 seconds. Twice in that match Brands begs for locked hands which are just not there, but he begs anyway. Then at the end of the SV Rivera watches the same position for nearly 10 seconds, a position that is NOT a TD because the leg isn't vined, and at the last second he decides to call it a TD despite the fact that A) he is wrong on the position and B) no change in position. Rivera then says it is because time ran out that it wasn't a TD. Geez. 

4. Max Dean got royally screwed at the end of period 1. A) he not only broke Warner's control, Dean himself had control. He also Win Dixied Warner into 5 seconds of back exposure. That should have been either 1 ESC + 4 back pts OR 2 Reversal + 4 back pts. Then at the end of period 3 as Dean is about to turn Warner with the bow and arrow Warner screams out. We saw DeSanto get two stoppages a couple of years ago doing that same thing. I was shocked it didn't work and Rivera allowed the better wrestler to actually seal the match and the dual. 

Kitchen Sink.