Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Shoulder injuries at 125

Now that McDonough has disclosed his injury, I'm remembering Nickerson and Escobedo's shoulder injuries. While Delgado appears to have benefitted from McD's injury, McD benefitted from the same a couple years earlier. Is this more common for the smaller guys?

Now that McDonough has disclosed his injury, I'm remembering Nickerson and Escobedo's shoulder injuries. While Delgado appears to have benefitted from McD's injury, McD benefitted from the same a couple years earlier. Is this more common for the smaller guys?

probably more common for smaller guys- the heavies only move their feet, kinda, sometimes........... :oops:

Prompted me to think about it and I think that shoulders and collars are way more prevalent at lower wgts. My son was a ltwt and it seems quite a few of his contemporaries suffered those injuries. Annecdotal only. I'm wondering if the small guys have lower bone density. The skeletal structure is definitely smaller in most and the torque can approach the larger guys due to speed. I think the physics are: E sub r=1/2 I (w squared) and P=t.w, but it's been a long time

Prompted me to think about it and I think that shoulders and collars are way more prevalent at lower wgts. My son was a ltwt and it seems quite a few of his contemporaries suffered those injuries. Annecdotal only. I'm wondering if the small guys have lower bone density. The skeletal structure is definitely smaller in most and the torque can approach the larger guys due to speed. I think the physics are: E sub r=1/2 I (w squared) and P=t.w, but it's been a long time

pie r square

Q was apparently affected greatly as well by a shoulder injury. We are stretching by saying anyone benefited from the injuries, didn't Delgado already have a win over McD before the injury? It is possible that the outcome is the same injury or not.

Also possible that the lower weight guys do more scrambling and that puts them in more awkward positions throughout their careers.

Both my shoulders are bad, but primarily from a different sport.

I believe Q's injury was a clavicle fracture, something which generally heals without lingering problems. It is not really comparable to McD's injury.

McD's was a most likely a labral tear making it less certain it will ever be at 100% again. Caldwell and Nickerson both had labral tears (I think), and may have been closer to McD's injury.

I think weight cutting plays a large part in injuries (especially with hour weigh-ins) and the lighter weights, as a whole, seems to often cut the most weight as the weight classes are closer together. Add in the fact that teams don't have a guy that can bump up to 125 (the same reason there are so many ffts at 125) and you see guys working to hold that weight class longer than they probably should, for the betterment of the team. (Mobile)

At the risk of insulting all lightweights....

Shoulders are definitely more susceptible to injury in smaller guys.

Many smaller guys take shots and get extended big time and still finish, something that you don't see in the Middles and definitely not at the Heavies.

McD is a classic example of a guy who could lock in a single with both arms fully extended in horrible position and reel in the leg for a finish.

As for Esco and Nickerson, not sure how they messed up their shoulders specifically. Troy was much more solid technically but never could perform the same once his shoulder's ligaments were screwed up.

Delgado is a freak too. He scores from fully extended positions that make you shake your head.

I think weight cutting plays a large part in injuries (especially with hour weigh-ins) and the lighter weights, as a whole, seems to often cut the most weight as the weight classes are closer together. Add in the fact that teams don't have a guy that can bump up to 125 (the same reason there are so many ffts at 125) and you see guys working to hold that weight class longer than they probably should, for the betterment of the team. (Mobile)

I think this is a good point because lack of muscle around any joint makes the joint more vulnerable. If the "percieved" weight cuts are really as bad as we all think they are than it would definitely contribute.

Where did McDonough disclose his injury? Is there an article?

---------

He talked about it in an interview, and it sounds like more info will be coming. This article was linked to the Iowa wrestling forum 2 days ago:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Hawk ... FLA3A56Ybo

An excerpt:

>

---------

He talked about it in an interview, and it sounds like more info will be coming. This article was linked to the Iowa wrestling forum 2 days ago:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Hawk ... FLA3A56Ybo

An excerpt:

>

Thanks. Now we can finally get to the bottom of this!

I was a lightweight and never had a true shoulder injury but I can also say my shoulder is not 100 percent. It occasionally pops when I walk, etc. As for me I'm fairly sure it has something to do with taking 20+ shots every match, getting caught underneath several times a match and refusing to let go until I scored the takedown or got a stalemate. Big guys don't get caught underneath as much. They're either smarter or not true wrestlers. ; )

Sounds like a big part of why the fan dynamic is switched in wrestling with lighter weights being fan favorites and the big boys (sometimes) getting walked out on during there matches.

Like in boxing where the heavyweights are the main event and most highly anticipated match most often.

I was a lightweight and never had a true shoulder injury but I can also say my shoulder is not 100 percent. It occasionally pops when I walk, etc. As for me I'm fairly sure it has something to do with taking 20+ shots every match, getting caught underneath several times a match and refusing to let go until I scored the takedown or got a stalemate. Big guys don't get caught underneath as much. They're either smarter or not true wrestlers. ; )

I hurt both my shoulders in college and I never shot.

That crap is for the lightweights.

Well we know Alan waters walked around 150 before the season per AWN. 25lb cut.

I know Mcdonough cut a lot of weight at least 15+ and he kept himself lean.

There are a ton of shoulder injuries in the sport and also knee injuries. I think the refs let things go

to far because of all the funk going on. As a result the injuries start out small and accumulate into

serious shoulder and knee problems.

I am ok with funk but when you start bending joints the wrong way it makes small tears in the muscles and

ligaments.

i would say some/most of these theories are far fetched and have nothing to do with the weight class. we are working with anecdotal evidence at this point. body types and hereditary traits have a lot to do with shoulder structure and injuries, so i could buy into more guys at 125 having body types that are more susceptible to injury. however some here are over-thinking this without any evidence.